Drills? Drills? Drills?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, Jun 5, 2012.

1. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I am looking for more fun types of drills for KS Tech. practice. Anyone have any good ones they want to share?:evil:

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What's could be the difference between Kuk Sool drills vs. general MA drills? For example, a kick to the groin followed by a punch to the face?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Specific drills to practise different techniques sets I'd imagine.

Also tulsa, do you always just post a devil face regardless of your post content?

4. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Yes and Yes! If you know who my avatar is you would understand. It is a likeness of Liu Tang a fictional character in the Water Margin, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature. He ranks 21st of the 36 Heavenly Spirits of the 108 Liangshan heroes and is nicknamed "Red Haired Devil".

:evil:

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Learn the Kali drill called Hu-Bad, and then practice your locks, holds, throws and other moves at random whilst performing the exercise.

6. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

" Who Bad" , you bad Pugil.

Good suggestion.

7. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Drills for joint-locking:

Basically my teaching progression looks like this:

1. Attacker randomly grabs, defender uses any Eui Bok Soo (clothing technique). The attacker receives the lock, but is compliant
    2. Attacker randomly grabs, as above, but does so while pulling, pushing, or trying to spin the defender
    3. Same as 2, but the attacker resists the technique. The defender must have control, and the attacker should know how to fall. The attacker must be advanced so that they will know when to resist, tap out, or fall
    4. Attacker grabs anywhere, but can strike to the body with one free hand. The defender must evade the strike and put on a lock. They can either block the strike, strike the attackers body themselves, or evade the strike with the positioning of a lock. What ends up happening is that the attackers free hand is checked with some sort of “sticky trap”

These are standing joint lock drills. I do not let them go to the ground. I have people cross train in BJJ for that skill.

Also:

I do use Hubud and some drills from Wing Chun to teach soft, “sticky” style blocks for Ju Muk Maga Kibonsoo (basically Punch Defense). I used to do trapping exercises where traps would flow into locks, also.

Good old lock-flow (flowing into one technique from another) works good too.

I also practice JMMKBS from a cross, as well as a stepping straight (my org doesn’t do the kick). I have developed variants against haymaker type hooks, as well.

I have also borrowed a drill from my Arnis instructor that was originally a knife drill. The partners circle each other while the attacker throws fast probing jabs, and then random lunge punch attacks. The defender learns to distinguish when to use a lock vs. a punch and when it is impossible.

I also believe that cross training in judo/ BJJ makes standing KS/HKD locks better, not because it alters technique, but just because of the sensitivity and body awareness it develops.

8. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

sorry...double post...please delete

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

When you have a small class turn off all the lights and practice in the pitch black. Makes you work on feeling the techniques more and using visual and auditory information for where your opponent is. By the way when I say pitch black I mean there isn't any light coming in. You should barely be able to see your opponent.

Did this one night during a power outage at my aikido dojo and you really find where the flaws in your techniques are from relying on vision too much.

10. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Same here, we used to use blindfolds. Blind tactics are somewhat different.

11. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

So far so good, i use all these with a little twist. I also do some sensory overload training. I own a large sound system and LOTS of lights for my band so I hook them all up one night a month and have "DISCO KUK SOOL". We practice with lights and sound. We also put on white sparring gear and go to town. This helps to understand out side stimulus. But keep the suggestions coming!