[Dr. Miguel Nicolelis] Seeing in the infrared spectrum & Brain-to-brain interfacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by John R. Gambit, Jun 21, 2013.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I somehow came across the work of Dr. Miguel Nicolelis, a Brazilian neuroscientist out of Duke University who has done some fascinating and controversial work recently with brain implants in animals.

2. John R. Gambit

Oops. I didn't mean to post this as is. I was working on adding some content to it when I accidentally hit enter. My bad.

Anyway, apparently some scientists question the credibility of the brain-to-brain interfacing study, so it will be interesting to see if the results can be reproduced.

I was particularly amused by some of the comments below that article. Some gems included:

Anyway, what do you skeptics of MAP say about this research?

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

The concept seems sound to me, however the experiment appears to lack stringent controls. I can think of no reason the concept shouldn't work, but the experiment design is lacking.

4. John R. Gambit

I believe that was the primary criticism I read.

I am curious about the potential applications of a large neural network of wireless implants sharing sensory data, like a brain-Internet. I imagine it would have obvious military benefit; soldiers able to instantly relay encoded experiences remotely. We already use similar technologies on the battlefield, but the input and retrieval would be more accurate, detailed, and expedient.

5. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I don't see it as being hugely useful for sharing experiences, we can already do that to a reasonable level through our existing sensory interfaces, and I don't see that direct brain to brain interfacing would assist much in that area. There are very few ways in which telepathy would be more effective than the existing methods of communication.

I am more interested in the implications of brain to device interfaces, especially in the ability to upload minds.

6. John R. Gambit

Yeah, that's a fascinating topic for future neuroscience work, without a doubt. It's something I've been intending to read more about. Many seem to believe we'll see such technology in our lifetimes. Do you have any articles discussing the subject you care to share?