Down Syndrome Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by adscottie, May 2, 2010.

1. adscottie

adscottie Valued Member

Hey, I was wondering what people on here thought of this. It's a down syndrome boy whose just been awarded his black belt in karate. Saw it on digg ( http://digg.com/people/Boy_with_Down_s_Syndrome_Earns_Black_Belt_in_Karate) and people on there were saying they think it cheapens the system. I don't really see any problem with it if he's worked hard and come a long way improving himself. If it helps him with his problems then I'd say thats the most important thing.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/23324975/index.html

Opinions?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

More power to him.

Downs Syndrome, asthma, holes in the heart, autism and we have students who dont turn up because they got in 10 minutes late from work.

I would be proud to have him as a student. And a black belt one at that.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I thought you posted with dignity and reason on a thread awash with bile, prejudice and idiocy adscottie.

Good luck to the lad in question.

Mitch

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think it is important to talk to the parents, who I suspect would always say their son or daughter gets so much out of coming each week.
    How many students only think about where thier gi is come training day. I bet this lad is excited days in advance.

5. Judge

Judge Valued Member

My instructor is constantly reminding our class that every black belt is different, no two are the same. I used to be worried about seeing people who didn't meet my standard getting black belts but I've since calmed down. I've realized that a black belt shouldn't be a measure of comparison against other students but against yourself, from where you started to where you're now.

. . .I can't believe it took me so long to realize it because I've been preaching the concept for years. I always tell my younger students (5-6year old) when doing speed jumping drills multiple times in a class session that it's not important that you beat "Little Bobbies" number of jumps the next time you make an attempt but it's very important that you try your hardest to beat your own number.

I see no reason why I child with down-syndrome shouldn't get a black belt if he works to his own ability - There's no reason why anybody who is capable of trying their hardest should ever be automatically deemed unfit to wear a piece of cloth.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People can be *******s.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Reading that crap made me fear for the future of the human race. People are such ignorant a$$holes.

Bullshido'd mcdojo cheapen blackbelts.
    Doing something nice for a person that is disabled and has probably more enthusiasm and worked harder than most DOESN'T cheapen anything.

These "people" probably think competitors in the special and para olympics aren't real athletes. **** em, that's what I say.

8. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

Makes me wonder what some of the people commenting on that digg thread have really achieved themselves. I'd bet many of them are up to very little compared to Adam.

Very very well done to him. If I had dedication like that I'd be dangerous.

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

More power to him. I used to have challenged students who had twice the work ethic of 'normal' people, whatever the heck that means. He and his parents should be very proud of his achievement. If anyone thinks it 'waters' down the system, go to any martial art tournaments and watch the embarrassing displays of some so-called blackbelts in either sparring or forms/kata's.....

10. adscottie

adscottie Valued Member

Thanks for the great replies, i'm glad to see that people on here share my views on this matter, always depressing to read through a page of people with no knowledge of what they're talking about abusing someone for no reason.

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

if he fulfilled the requirements to get a BB I say why not.

I read the negative comments on that page the op linked to.

Give em oi-zuki! :p

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Good on him..he didn't choose to have down syndrom.

Those plonkers who complained can be proud of being self made *******s.

Black belt should also denote some maturity. Did not see any there. Man I would love to have them at one of my sessions.

13. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Why on earth should it 'cheapen a system'? A quick look on Wiki confirmed my understanding that Down's is a complex condition that can manifest itself in different ways, and varies considerably in severity from person to person. None of the symptoms, in and of themselves should preclude a person from reaching dan grade standard - unless they're quite severe.

To argue otherwise demonstrates a degree of ignorance and stupidity IMO.

Mike

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I have a slight balance problem. noticable but very slight. Was born with an underdeveloped cerebellum (thats the part of the brain that controls balance and coordination for people who dont know that part of the body) which showed in an MRI I had when I was in my mid 20's.

My senseis know this, and all it means is that - say if they tell us to stand on one leg before the yokogeri keage in heian nidan...and hold that position for say five or ten seconds or so - I am physically incapable of standing on one leg that long.

Doesn't mean I can't do the kick; I snap-kick very well and got my Senpai in the crotch with a good maegeri one when he had his leg raised to the side for Mawashi geri in jiyu kumite - - all it means is that I can't stand on one leg as long as the rest. I can, however, stand on one leg long enough to do kicks. And really, That is all one needs. A second or two. So the balance problem isnt really an issue here.

Its not really a disability - I'm not disabled - just a difficulty as i call it.

I would want my senseis to take it into consideration when grading me, but I am able to do all the stuff they ask; so I am deserving of the yellow belt I earned so far (as well as the gold medal and good marks I got at kata competition). And they tell me I am quite capable of going on to Orange belt.

If this teen with Downs syndrome worked hard and they wanted to reward him, good for him and them.

I bet the other people in the dojo wouldnt get upset cause they gave a person with a disability a black belt to reward him for the work he does.

Myself I wouldn't accept a black belt unless I did all the things to earn one (including bassai dai and tekki shodan which are required for our browns to go to shodan), I wouldn't like a pity belt, but then I am not disabled so how can i really say?

Least I dont fall down when doing the turn after the nukite in heian sandan like some people did ;)

Like I said I am happy for this teen. :)

People told me I'd never be able to do anything either.

But here i am. :)

a medallist and holding a color belt Kyu.

I got my belt because I earned it. Did the work and have the maturity required to advance in rank.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  15. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Wow.... he got a blackbelt.

Kid'll kick your butt. I don't think he's worried about namecalling anymore.

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Awesome. That was precious.

17. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

perseverance,effort,a "never give up" attitude ...I would venture to say that young man deserves his black belt a hell of a lot more than I do mine..

18. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Maybe his dobak is cooler than yours. :evil:

19. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

probably...what's a dobak ??

20. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Accomplished Skill

Congratulations to the young man on his accomplishment. To a real martial artist a black belt is a symbol of dedication and perseverance through training, not an indication of fighting skill.

Although...I wouldn't mind crossing hands with a few of the knuckleheads from the OP's original thread.:hat: