Double weighted

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Pablo, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Ok, let's try something universal. What do the various IMA practitioners on the list understand the prohibition against double weighting to mean?

Is it only a reference to 50/50 balance?

Or does it refer to getting caught flat footed so that an opponent can force their power into you, and you cannot neutralize?

:cool:

paul

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<Is it only a reference to 50/50 balance? >
    it took me sometime to understand this concept but it's worthy enuff to put ur witts :)
    No In TC u r never into 50/50 balance thing u r always moving. or completely still(wuji), ur one leg always be Yin n another will be Yang...one leg is heavy one leg is lite... u yields n issuse power within Yin/Yang behaviour(i m very little knowledge)

Or does it refer to getting caught flat footed so that an opponent can force their power into you, and you cannot neutralize?
    IMHO again the answer is NO n Yes at same time.
    Double wieghtedness happens first in urself then it happens with ur oppnt...i'll try to explain wat i understood i hav understood the very little bit thru the opening n closing of kwa(hip) joint

opening is internal extension, and usually gathers qi in the bones for being released, while closing is internal compression,
    in opening ur hips joint should not be closed so that they can gather chi from dantien when it's closed qi is blocked
    so as chan man chin said u should look for openin in closin n closin in openin he's reffering to not to put in situation where ur chi is blocked...
    whenever u r in situation where u put urself in Chi blocked state it will be double weigthedness(IMO) it happens same with ur oppnt whenever u r in double mind or double weighted where u can't change from yin/yang then u r double weightedness...
    it's a vast concept...i m learning new things daily...:)
    -TkdWarrior-

3. ssjoku

ssjoku New Member

do you guys now any energy exercise

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

what kind of energy?

5. ssjoku

ssjoku New Member

like moving energy around and gathering

6. YODA

What kind of energy?

7. ssjoku

ssjoku New Member

chi and ki

8. YODA

Chi AND Ki?

What's the difference?

Anyway - I don't do that stuff so I can't be of any help I'm afraid. The only energy I produce is bathed in sweat. I know I know - I'm a phillistine - the world would be pretty boring if we all agreed huh? :D

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

if u r reffering to ChiKungs/Nei Kungs then yes i Do know... but dunno if there exists any Energy moving excercise but yet there r some powerfull breath controlling excercises... which i guess u might not be intrested in...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

As the Tao te Ching says - he who is straddle legged cannot stand - the hard and stiff break while the soft and yielding live.

To avoid being double weighted you not only have to concentrate on your legs, but have the right balance of yin/yang in your hands, feet, knees, arms etc, as well as balancing the energy of your internal organs. It's being aware of the different energy balances in your body.

Also, unlike external ma's, the internal arts don't have a 'pose' - they are constantly moving and adapting to the situation. To be double weighted is to be static and unmoving, therefore liable to topple over and/or break. If you are static you can't yield/flow in response to an attack.