Double underhooks in guard

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by TheMasterSword, Mar 16, 2005.

1. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

I was wondering what are some attacks/sweeps/defenses that one can do when you have someone in your guard and they go for double underhooks.

I find myself vunerable in this position and was wondering what suggestions everyone had (gi/no gi)

2. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Are you sure you don't mean when you're in someone's guard? How can someone get underhooks on you when your back is on the ground?

3. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Underhooks under your legs, w/ their hands either clasping together by your lower stomach or gripping the belt

4. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Oh. To me an underhook has always meant reaching an arm under someone else's arm and around their back, but then again I don't have a pithy way to describe what you're talking about, so I guess underhooks does for that too.

If you get to that position, you've pretty much had your guard passed. You could try putting one calf behind his neck and grabbing your ankle with your hand to hold him tightly (as in the set up for a triangle,) to buy time to try to free your other leg. But I think you'll probably get passed.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Push yourself up on your hands do that your entire body comes off the ground - then walk your body backwards on your hands.

This puts LOTS more pressure on his grip - quite effective!