Double Edged thingys and technique

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by invisi, Feb 27, 2011.

1. invisi

invisi Valued Member

Are there any double-edged with tip weopans in FMA?

It just makes sense. Comparing a stick to a single edge, would mean you would have to change technique, for example turning the wrist more and going lower for the chamber. With a double edged weopan it is more or less like a stick. There are no edges on a cylinder.

Training single baston. I tend to grip about 1/5 above the end. The sweet spot or fulcrum is just there for me. I see some practicioners grip right at the end. Whats the difference?

2. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Hi Invisi,

I'm sure there are sword length Kris blades (I think Pat/Lucy's shop sells them! :cool: ) but most blades - pinuti and bolo etc. - are single sided, so that's what most of the training is.

I'm sure Pat can say much more on the wide variety of blades.

As for holding nearer the end, the 2 advantages I can see are reach, as in simply how far away I can strike from and speed, as in if I rotate my hand, a tip 34 inches away will be movin faster than a tip 30 inches away. We are told to leave maybe 2 inches for use with other techniques. (striking with the punyo, or using it for disarms as a hooking motion)

MN

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The most common double edged weapon is the Kalis or Kris/Keris sword of the Muslim tribes of Sulu and Mindanao. Although most swords have a short back edge they are for the most part single edged weapons.

Now where you hold he stick will depend on the system and range you train. For instance a long range system would not nessisarily need the but of the weapon and may grip it right at the end for more range.

But a close range system may prefer a protruding butt for striking and hooking on to an opponent.

Now using a stick akin to a single edge sword makes it less likely that you will disarm yourself. For instance if you are executing a back hand slashing blow with your palm facing up as if you had a double edged sword when your stick hit the solid mass of the opponent it can place pressure on your grip and make it more likely to disarm yourself.

It has it's advantages in that forehand and back hand strikes can be executed quicker but it also has the disadvantage that is runs a higher risk of self disarming yourself.

4. invisi

invisi Valued Member

MN

I think you hit the nail on the head on the grip question.

MN/Pat

I'm surprised only the Kris.

Suppose someone will come up with an idea for some other a double-bladed tip weopan. I was thinking before of training with double edged katanas or ninja swords, then there is the weighting. But a shorter katana.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Double edged Katana and ninja sword?

:eek:

6. malcolmk

malcolmk Valued Member

Having too much butt (stick, not stance) extended can make it easier for your opponent to disarm you. You want enough to give you hooking and striking advantage but not enough for your opponent to use as leverage against you.

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

but like the systems that have a preferance for no butt, there are those who prefer a larger portion of the butt to show for major hooking and controlling.

Each has its advantages as well as its disadvantages, even a small butt can beused against you to control your opponents weapon. Swings and round abouts really.

Bst regards

Pat

8. Mananandata

Mananandata Valued Member

Anybody tried using FMA techniques with live double-edged swords?

9. invisi

invisi Valued Member

Haha.

I am really looking for a double edger to do a bit of gardening. Getting a bit of practice put in at the same time while hacking at some roots. A neighbour pointed out to me, there's a tree in my garden, that has roots problems, that I didn't notice. He kept going on and on. So I have to solve that problem, just to keep that neighbour happy, in fear that he could report me to the council. Oh I could go on and rant about neighbours! busybodies.

I'm not a good gardener but Alan Titchmarsh, the celebrity gardener always gives good advice. Everyone credits him for that. Prefer FMA.

10. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

In that case I would say get the biggest sword you can lift. When your neighbour sees you swinging it in your garden he will think twice about complaining! :cool:

11. invisi

invisi Valued Member

Now that is doubly dangerous!

My neighbour could conceal himself whip out his mobile phone, take a picture or a video, while i would be swinging that huge sword about. A hacksaw or woodchopper would be adequate just to solve the garden tree issue.

Then he could make any story up, report me and i would eventually end up in the dock.

"You are guilty for practicing. Because you have a bigger weopan than your neighbour"
    "Yes i hear you your honor."
    "And we don't like people having bigger weopans than us."
    "Yes your honor."
    "Plus you are smelly, exist and consume too much oxygen"
    "Yes... I see... your honor"

12. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

A pinute can have a double edge, but this is a "false edge" that's sharpened about six inches back from the tip of the backhand edge. This makes it easy to make back cuts with backhand rakes. In general, if you are talking about double-edged swords in this way, the strikes become much narrower and tighter than if they were performed with a stick. This is because you can do a lot more with less. There is, generally speaking, a lot more influence of the Spanish rapier-sword, and similar military weapons, seen in these kinds of techniques. With respect to where you grip the weapon: it is generally lower (even in some cases even with the butt of the weapon) because a longer length means greater leverage with respect to less "work."

Best,

Steve

13. stickfan

stickfan Valued Member

:
    I prefer not to have more than half a fist length punyo...if too much your punyo can easily be grabbed....

and doing hubud and then having someone yanking your punyo hurts boy...lol :)

p.s hubud also mean naked in tagalolg

sorry pinoy humour!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hubud isn't naked. hubu is butt naked. hubad is undressed.