dormindo's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by dormindo, Sep 5, 2011.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Brilliant title, right?

Well Labor Day seemed the right day to start this.

WARNING: This first post will be moderately to explain some terms marked with an asterisk, so that I won't have to re-explain later. For the knowledgeable, skip down to where today's date and my completed routine are listed.

1.Ginga: basic movement pattern in capoeira, often typically thought of as the following (1:05 mark),

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvX6F4msQ0I"]Intro to Capoeira - The Ginga - YouTube[/ame]

though in capoeira angola, ginga tends to be quite animated, akin to this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbL0r6l626s"]A ginga na capoeira angola - YouTube[/ame]

2.Passagem de Perna/Troca: capoeira movement to switch legs illustrated here,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysP5RykyD4k"]Capoeira Basics - negativa drills - YouTube[/ame]

3.Role de Banco/Ponte: rolling through a backbend as illustrated here (1:26-1:36 mark),

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQWLJ8z7Pl4"]Basic Capoeira Moves: Brazilian Martial Arts : How to Ponte in Brazilian Capoeira Martial Arts - YouTube[/ame]

4.Arch Ups: Planting the hands on the floor and slowly lifting the legs into a handstand position.

September 5, 2011

Warmup: 18 minutes consisting of 8 minutes of ginga* (to Jamiroquai's Blow Your Mind) and 10 1 minute rounds of the following
    Skipping rope (feet together)
    Ginga
    Skipping rope (feet together)
    Burpees
    Skipping rope (alternating steps)
    Mountain Climbers (to be fair, there were a couple pauses in here)
    Skipping rope (alternating steps)
    Passagem de pernas* (like low alternating Cossack kicks, explained above)
    Skipping rope (high knees)
    Role de Banco/Ponte* (rolling backbend explained above)

Ginga: 22 minutes spent in practice on footwork and directional movement, combinations and level changing.

Capoeira Angola (cont'd): 26 minutes spent working on transitions form varied footwork patterns to varied escapes and basic movement positions.

Static Holds: Used barstools as improvised parallettes to practice L-sits, alternating between bent leg (as though sitting on an invisible chair) positions and legs straight out (in reality, dipping down about 20 degrees). Did four sets of 15seconds, 10seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds.

Bodyweight Training:
    A1 Pull Ups: Shoulder width (5), Close grip (5), wide grip (3), chin up grip (3), and VERY assisted one arm grip (2)
    A2 V Ups: 5 sets, for the following reps, 4-4-5-3-3

B1 Push Ups (done on rings with feet on the floor body at near 45 degree angle): Archer (6), Jacknife (6), Ring Flys (6), Tricep (3), Wide Grip (5)
    B2 Arch Ups* (wall assisted): 5-5-5-5-4

C1 Dips (assisted, legs at 45, heels on floor): 5-5-4
    C2 Glute Hamstring Raises (assisted): 5-5-5

D1 Rows (on rings, assisted, by heels on floor): 5-5-4
    D2 Hanging Leg Lifts: 5-3-5

E1 Seated Muscle Ups (assisted): 4-4-4
    E2 Single Leg Squats (my one sorta bragging point): 10-10-10

Pose Method Running Drills: Practice various running form exercises for 10 minutes

Finished off with two rather basic, though challenging breathing exercises.

I'm open to questions, comments and critiques (of the training or the posting format above. Thanks in advance.

paz,

dormindo

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice session. It's good to see you posting your log here, particularly as it's a more of a bodyweight than weights log.

I'm thinking about starting Capoeira again at some point. I always enjoyed the training and watching the skilled folk in the roda!

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'll be following this one and taking notes.

Just one question (obviously! :rolleyes: ), do you do the arch-ups freestanding? If so, WOW!

The negativa drills look great - just what I needed in fact - and that's REALLY one crazy ginga in the second clip.

4. dormindo

Thanks, Frodo. Wow, you move quickly on these boards!

Yep, watching those who are really good at it is fascinating. Maybe I'll start a thread sometime this week with really good games I've enjoyed seeing online/in person. Admittedly, my bias is towards angola (it's what I train and what I tend to watch on Youtube), though Rand86 has posted a number of interesting regional/contemporanea videos.

If you ever do get back into it, you'll have to save a game for me. :)

Thanks again.

paz,

dormindo

5. Rand86

^ Hey, I actually watch about twice as much angola as I do regional/contemporanea stuff myself. The way just about any good angoleiro moves is unreal, and they are - in their own way - dangerous and aggressive bunch of guys (and girls).

So go ahead and post but I'd urge you to ration it a bit - I've got work to prepare for these days, and if you end up dumping a bunch of awesome looking clips on here I won't get anything done. ;)

6. dormindo

Wanted to thank your post, Rand, but something weird happened where I couldn't see the thanks button. Edit: Found it!

I can do the archups freestanding (which is how I do them in class), but when training at home I do them with the assistance of the wall, because I want them to slow, even and smooth--with no jerky movement or momentum at all. By this I hope to obtain a greater degree of coordination, avoid any imbalance/loss of focus and reduce any chance of injury with this movement. In short, I'm refining it. Of course, many of the other movements in my session kick my bunda.

My ginga is not as crazy as the one in the video (well, at some moments it is), but it definitely is a shifting, slinking kind of thing.

paz,

dormindo

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. dormindo

Heh-heh, will do, my friend, will do. Gotta run some errands (on Labor Day, no less), but Maybe I'll start the thread tonight and post only one or two. Deal?

paz,

dormindo

8. Rand86

Done and done.

Say, would you be able to create a separate thread from "Practicality..." starting with my posts about capoeiristas cross-sparring? It'd be a shame to let all those nice clips go to waste...

9. Frodocious

I have no life outside of MAP! :)

The first time I watch a couple of really good guys in the roda, I came away with such a buzz. It was amazing. I couldn't believe what an effect it had on me. I got a pretty good buzz after my first reasonable performance in a roda too!

You should definitely do that!

If I'm ever round you way (whether or not I'm back training Capoeira), I'd love to meet up for a game or 2! :D

10. dormindo

Had to cut it short today because of work, etc., so...

Two rounds of
    Burpees x 10
    Chinnies x 10
    Squats x 10
    Pushups x 10

followed by a 45 minute jog that covered 4.9 miles.

No capoeira training today= :(

paz,

dormindo

11. dormindo

Rest day today.

paz,

dormindo

12. dormindo

Thursday, Sept. 8, 2011

Fires just north of Houston has made the outdoor air condition a bit too problematic for training in the backyard (that's the garden for you Brits), so I had to improvise a warmup that I could do indoors on hardwood floors in an upstairs apartment at 7:30am without disturbing the neighbors below (in other words, rope skipping and burpees are out). So did the following...

Warmup: 10 1 minute rounds consisting of the following
    Ginga
    Pulo dislocamento/Au fechado**
    Ginga
    Jacare***
    Ginga
    Bananeira (walking on my hands-had to go backwards and forwards as the room is small)
    Ginga
    Mountain Climbers
    Ginga
    Role de Banco

Bodyweight Circuit:
    A1 Full Body Curls 7-7-6
    A2 Lateral Hanging Leg Lifts 6-6-6
    B1 Handstand Pushups (hands elevated so that the head drops below the level of the hands) 5-3-3
    B2 Muscle Ups (assisted) 5-5-5
    C1 Pull Ups 5-5-3
    C2 Dragon Flags 5-5-5
    D1 Pushups (*assisted, on rings) Pseudo Planche 4*, Divebombers 3*, Pelicans 2*, Diamond 6, One Arm 4
    D2 German Hang Pulls
    E1 Ab Wheel Rollouts (from knees) 6-5-4
    E2 Bulgarian Squats 14-14-14

Will have to run this afternoon.

**Au Fechado:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxhp1HAChtU"]Au fechado - YouTube[/ame]

***Jacare:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGVibrQrVWE"]Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Alligator Walk Exercise - YouTube[/ame]

paz,

dormindo

13. Rand86

Funny. Never stopped to think about the neighbors below while doing burpees in my room. Well, if I'm ever stabbed to death at least I'll know why.

What does a "full body curl" look like? Is it like an inverted chin-up?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLSqvKmz_7c"]Inverted Chin-ups - YouTube[/ame]

And I still can't get over your warm-up. I'd need a really good lie-down after that alone.

14. dormindo

Thursday, Sept. 8, 2011 pt. 2

Jogged for 45minutes and covered 5.25 miles. By the way, all runs are in Vibram KSOs, unless otherwise noted (I occasionally do short barefoot runs).

Rand, the body curl I'm doing looks like the one in the video below, except that I start with my body at horizontal and go inverted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ks5242CrMs"]Body Curl - YouTube[/ame]

paz,

dormindo

15. dormindo

Friday, Sept. 9, 2011

Warmup: 15 minute walk (yep, I know, kind of a sucky warmup for the workout below)

Training (EIT #5 from Ross Enamait's Never Gymless):
    Run x 60 seconds
    Pushups x 60 seconds
    Squats x 60 seconds
    Rest x 60 seconds
    repeat for 4 cycles

I was great with the squats, decent with the runs and sucky with the pushups--I know where the work must be done.

paz,

dormindo

16. Frodocious

I've always struggled with pushups for time as well!

Ross's routines are really good though. :)

17. Rand86

What I always liked about Ross is that he is a DIY kinda guy. Don't have a piece of equipment? Make it! Don't have a way to make it? Use something else then. Make your own routines, pick your own exercises, be creative, improvise but never stop working hard.

A polar opposite of Pavel in that department - who has many good ideas but whose "my way or the highway" attitude really gets on my nerves.

And yeah, push-ups are a female canine.

18. dormindo

Pushups and Pullups are difficult for me (I tell myself that it's because of my long arms--though I'm 6'2", my wingspan is just shy of 6'10"). The reality is that I just need to take to the training and let do it's slow, arduous work.

Ross routines are for the mentally disturbed, I'm starting to think. Must be why I love 'em!

paz,

dormindo

19. dormindo

I made my own ab wheels a la Ross using lawnmower wheels from Home Depot.

paz,

dormindo

20. Frodocious

Not sure what my excuse is then! ;) :)

Yeah, Ross is the man! The only problem I have with his stuff at the moment is that there's an awful lot of it I can't do with my stupid shoulder!