Dont you just love it

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by La Mancha, Aug 9, 2004.

1. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

When you are on the bog/in the bath or wherever and the phone rings.
    You get to the bloody thing and you get no answer and a hang up, or they try to sell you something.
    The funny thing is they always block thier number so you can't ring back and annoy them.
    Mind you last week I had one try to sell me an electric bed, they had my old address so I made the appointment to see them at that address. Wonder what the ex thought of that.

David

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  2. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I think that this comes from the same book of life that says "Wrong numbers are never engaged". :D

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Muahahahahahaha :D
    I usually find that when that happens it's a wrong number! The thing I find more annoying is when one of my flakier friends phones me up at 6:30 in the morning and says "Dude, what day is it today?" I got her a calendar for her birthday too :confused:

4. b33p

b33p New Member

is shes blonde :D

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

No, she's just very into her own little world and forgets that while she's doing her computer-arty stuff, sometimes entire days go by.
    So what's everyone's favourite tactic to use when the phone goes while you're in the shower/ loo and it turns out to be someone trying to sell you stuff? Personally, I just sound really mad and ask if they realise that if I were remotely interested in whatever crap they're trying to sell, I'd already have it!

6. b33p

b33p New Member

just put the phone down on them

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I don't have this problem, because I don't answer my phone -- the answering machine does. Friends and family know I do this, and they know just to start talking, and I'll pick up the phone, if I can. Doctors' offices and companies with whom I actually transact business don't mind leaving a message. The telemarketers rarely leave messages! ;)

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

^^^ Exactly.

PL

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Put the phone next to the bath :D

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I've set the phone so anonymous number don't get through, stops most of sellers. Still, friends phone the mobile as they know I'll answer it :D I like to know who's ringing before I answer!

11. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

I don't even have a house phone. I only use a cell. I have gotten a call ONE time on my cell that was someone trying to sell me something. I screamed at them for a sec and asked them "kindly" to please stop wasting my minutes.

12. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I have Caller ID and Security Screen. No one can make my phone ring unless they show their number. If I don't want them calling again, I can permanently block their number with Call Rejection.

I like having Qwest as my phone company.

13. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

I lead sellers on as long as I can, or make up some random excuse why I cant go on my free vacation... One time I told a guy that I couldnt pick up my tickets to a free vacation because I weighed 700+ pounds and was bedridden. He laughed at me and I got all mad and asked to speak to his supervisor :p He got me so mad that I just hung up on him eventually.

I work at a call center, so when telemarketers go down the phone list, theres a chunk of 200 numbers that all ring directly to my office, hehe. They get frustrated when we answer the phones "No, we dont need any windows replaced".

14. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

I will often make up the most implausible reason why I cant speak at that time (including having to go out to pick up my gran from the ** clinic,mole hunting and Laryngitis) one of my pals who has time on his hands will
    talk to them ad infinitum but will talk about what he wants to going off on tangents upon tangents until they hang up

15. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I'm usually very polite about telemarketers, because I can sympathize with what a ****ty job that is. I was a spammer in a previous life, and the subject's sealed. Anyway, supposing the phone rings while I'm getting to know someone a little better than their parents might like, I'll probably be really really honest:
    "Yes, and thank you for calling. Just so you know, you've not only called me during sex, but ruined a perfectly good erection; not to mention the fact that when the phone started ringing, the dogs got to barking and now neither me nor the fine woman I'm with will get any sleep for at least an hour. Now, what exactly are you selling me?"

Ignoring the fact I don't actually have dogs, this should confuse and startle the unfortunate caller. Only drawbacks would be that I can't possibly keep a straight face for that long :D

edit: I'd make sure it really IS a telemarketer before I try that, though!

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Generally I just tell them that while I sympathise with their position (since I've worked as a telemarketer and know how it can feel to have abuse screamed at you when you're just trying to earn an honest wage doing the only job that'll take you) I'm not interested, as I'm currently in massive debt and can only just afford to eat. Occasionally I've actually had nice and interesting chats with them.

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I was rang by a recorded message last week. :confused:

I answered the phone. A voice started, "Hi I tried to contact you last week but you were unavailable. I have left this message on our messaging system because you or somebody in your family entered our competition and have won a superb prize...... blah blah blah...... To find out which one it is just ring our claimline on 0901 etc etc. Calls cost £1.50 per minute. Calls should last 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

It's a crime that some people will ring them back!

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Fair point Bunny, but they have still interupted me at home which I really don't want when trying to relax after hard day. Theres many far less annoying jobs they could be doing :D I just can't be arsed with being friendly with them. That phones going right down :woo:

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Theres also an automated phone system that dials you and often leaves you waiting while one of there operators is free. So your waiting instead of them grrrrrh

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

When I worked in telemarketing for a while, I was still at college. I spent two months jobhunting for somewhere that'd mean I could still get to classes. I abandoned any pretense at a social life, and also gave up most of my training because I needed a job, and the only one that would have me was telemarketing. Sometimes there just aren't less annoying jobs they could be doing. :p