Don't sweep the leg Johnny! Sunfish in Karate Tournament!

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Guitar Nado, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So it seems I am foolish enough to sign up for the IWKA World Championship Karate Tournament (It is specific to Isshinryu). It is August 8th. Me being a executive class white belt at that. If I am going to actually be an executive, I would like to be Chief Information Security Officer - unless some other position pays better and has a better dental plan. I hear CEOs get better stock options, but have to do more boring meetings. I like security stuff, but I digress here.

I am learning the kata I will be doing (Seisan), and I'm also learning the Karate rules way of sparring. I hope for the best, but will plan to give premium effort and have fun. Since I don't actually know that much Isshin-ryƫ Karate (or any Karate) yet, I don't expect any miracles. I will say this, I think the Karate Club I am learning Isshinryu from are top notch, despite being free (I base this theory on other Martial arts schools I have attended/currently attend). Entirely likely what I end up doing is some sort of Muay Thai/Kung Fu/Kali Hybrid with 5% Isshinryu added in.

Not sure what will happen, but I can promise you I will see some Karate during the event, and that is good.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

FWIW, the people I know who compete in kumite prepare for tourneys by practicing with folks from other clubs. I understand it's helpful. You might try talking to your sensei about hosting or visiting another dojo for kumite practice. :) Hope you win, bro!

3. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Yes, sparring with other people from another dojo is a must. After sparring with people in your same dojo, you all know each other and how you each fight, etc.