Don't have heroes

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitfire, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've come to the conclusion that having heroes or idols in the martial arts is a bad idea. I mean it's probably a bad idea in general but I've had a couple of incidents happen that really burst the bubble on a couple of people I really rated in the martial arts.
    One happened in person, while the other was recounted on a podcast from a third party (so I take that with a pinch of salt but it did smack of the truth).
    I'm sure I can still take inspiration from these individuals but it sure is disappointing when people turn out not to be as good as they could be.

Botta Dritta, Grond, axelb and 2 others like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

People are terrible as a whole, they can be slightly better individually but also they can be a lot worse individually.

So which two people have disappointed you?
    And why? I assume at least one of them is well known, to be talked about on a podcast?

Edit.

Or we could go through a list off well known MA stars and list why their terrible!

Botta Dritta and axelb like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think you have to separate the skill from the person. It's the same with musicians, authors or anything else.

There's some expectation that martial arts instill self-discipline and good behaviour. You'll always be let down if you think skill in one area will make someone a better person in general.

Respecting someone's skill doesn't mean you have to respect them personally. Best to keep the two separate, or you'll end up impossibly restricted in what you can listen to, read, watch or train.

Shmook, aaradia and axelb like this.
  4. Dead_pool

If said people still make money by people watching/listening to that content, it's fine to not listen or watch to them anymore.

Anyone still listen to lost prophets?

M Manson? Garry glitter? Rolling stones, David Bowie, ?

Pay to watch Tyson talk/train/fight?

Shmook and axelb like this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One was Matt Thornton (who gave me my blue belt in BJJ in another life) and was mentioned in a very poor light by Nate Quarry on a recent Stephan Kesting podcast. Always wondered why Thornton has never distanced himself from McGregor's antics and the story recounted by Nate could possibly shed light on that.
    The other guy I won't name but he is super famous in martial arts circles.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

I'll have to give that a listen,

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Well, if it's the same stuff he was talking about in a 2013 interview I just read then my professional/personal distinction doesn't apply, because it was about his professional skill as a coach.

8. Dead_pool

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have long distanced myself from having heroes for that reason. Having had some mentors/teachers in secondary school, martial arts coach and priest turn out to be awful people for exactly the reason that seems almost cliché now.

Tyson is a prime example, amazing skill, still great to review his style and fights. I wouldn't rate him as any sort of coach, and I don't rate him as a person on any other level.
    You can separate the skill from the person, but agree that not to put them on a pedestal.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I've felt this before. You spend a lot of time putting someone up on a pedestal, just to be disappointed when they act very human: selfish, egotistical, short-sighted, naive, distrustworthy, whatever.

It's a very familiar disappointment, definitely not limited to the martial arts. Now, I've never really looked up to any real martial artist as a "hero", I'm the type who tends to look up to archetypal "heroes", like in literature and film. The useful thing about that is that I'm never disappointed by what I read in the news that day about Aragorn, Frodo, Perseus, or Shang Chi. They and we all have our flaws, but we're better than them.

One of my favorite heroes is, obviously, Rocky Balboa. Not a real person, and the guy who played him, no angel. But, it's an easier and better thing to hold on to for dear life, than some other person you're not even remotely intimate with, hasn't earned your respect, and doesn't really deserve your time, taking a big dump on things you love. I love karate, and so many people love to dump on the karate greats. When people start going after Karate, I will always fall back to Miyagi-san. He was a hero. This way, I never have to defend this guy:

[​IMG]

This Matt Thornton, I know his name. He always struck me as just another guy trying to go around collecting people and creating and promoting the "real" martial arts. From what I've watched and read, he has been both successful at promoting martial arts, and not as successful developing a sense of respect for what he doesn't know.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The American kickboxing scene (primarily the so-called "golden-era" of the 70s and 80s) is the domain in which my heroes have turned out to be exactly as I expected: Bill Wallace, Don Wilson, Benny Urquidez, Jeff Smith, Joe Corley, Patrick Wrenn, and a ton of others were all exactly as friendly, respectful, and generous with their time and knowledge as I expected. More so in many cases. Traditional karate and taekwondo (also in the States) on the other hand were cesspools of bloated egos and selfish behaviour.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Quite honestly I don't even put people on pedestals and didn't have these two individuals as being "above" me.
    I know people are only human.
    It's just disappointing to find out some people aren't even level with you let alone up on a pedestal. I'd settle for finding people and them being on the same level.
    Your regular jobbing martial artists seem to exhibit far better qualities than many of the "higher" ups.
    I wonder if there's something about having the drive and desire to reach those lofty heights than means unpleasant people are the ones who make it?

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

So I wrote a long detailed fb post and then decided not to post it.
    For those that know me personally, I am an avid comic book reader and especially a Batman and Green Lantern fan (altho I have about 2 years catching up to do)

Anyway. I have a self made tradition. That every Halloween, I read cover to cover The Long Halloween.
    Written by Jeph Loeb and art by Tim Sale.
    Its easily one of my favourite books and its my way of keeping the story relatively fresh and fun.

I been doing this for close to 20 years, with the same damn book. I've only done it via digital comics twice. And even unintentially had other people do the same.

I also keep planning to do a charity read but I always never get round to actually doing it.

Annnnnnyway.
    It then comes into light that Jeph Loeb, during the filming and writing of one of the Marvel Netflix shows. Jeph has made insensitive and disparaging remarks against Asian people and Asian characters in TV and Film. As well as the odd antic that may be deemed as offensive as well.

So. There I sat, one September. Placing my thoughts and feelings on social media (much like anyone else).
    I missed out that year. I had a few messages come through asking about my yearly tradition. "Hey, not heard of Long Halloween"

I've restarted my tradition. Because I have justified in my own head that there are things out of my control but I do have control on who or what I continue to give my time to.
    At any point, I can say. Yeah, Im done now and just stop the tradition and the enjoyment of that one particular book and treat it like any other artist/art separation situation.

axelb likes this.
  14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's a tricky one.

On the one hand, I don't expect people to inspire me on all levels. Shackleton is someone who I have a great admiration for, because he got all his men home. In person though, I think I'd dislike him.

Similarly, I read Wasteland every April. I never tire of it. It speaks to me of deep truths that are difficult to articulate, but important. Yet there are attitudes in there I find repellant, and I would have nothing in common with the author.

So yes, maybe best not to meet your heroes and be confronted by their shortcomings.

Is it possible to still enjoy their work though?

Alternatively, I met Lemmy backstage after a gig and the scene there was, well, exactly what I thought it would be :D

15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I found a particular hero of mine that should appeal to this particular group of gents and ladies. Easily one of my favorite movies of all times.

Merry Christmas, and if you don't celebrate it, merry whatever you want it to be.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A brilliant and criminally underrated film. Story, acting, even the way it is shot are just superb.

Grond and Shmook like this.