Doing The Splits . . . .

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Terry Matthes, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Is it possiable for everyone to do the splits if they practice, or are only some people able to do them? If everyone can do them what are some good methods to increase your flexability?

To introduce myself: My name is Terry Matthes. I am a new Karate Student, my teacher is Andrew Green (who I think I have seen post on these boards :confused: ) . I go to karate class 4 days a week for 3 hours and have quite a good time. My favorite part of class is grappling and I like to get blood on my sensai's white uniform :D Before Karate I was involved in olympic style wrestling since I was 9 and I stoped when I was 17.
    PS- I have to stop rolling onto my back and trying to "pin" my opponent :)

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Here is your homework then:
    http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

You have ;)

3. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

aaaaaaawwwwwwww...he has homework from his teacher. Andrew start me off as well. I'm sure you remember chatting with me in the chat room. :) As for you Terry Matthes, I would just like to welcome you to the forum. I'm sure you'll like it and find out many things by just asking on here:):):)

4. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Ahh darned homework, O well "ask and ye shall recieve" I guess :)
    [EDIT] Oh dear lord that document is huge! [/EDIT]

5. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

:) you can do it. hehe. :) again welcome 2 the planet of martial arts.

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey welcome terry...
    and u already get a homework..dude u r ....
    -TkdWarrior-

7. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I've been doing Karate & other Combat Sports for 16 years, and still can't do the splits.... to be honest it doesn't worry me as I am still flexible enough to perform a strong side chambered kick (yoko/mawashi/kake geri) at my own head height, and a strong mae geri higher still...

8. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Splits.... there are two types, the box splits and the front splits. I would say that the front splits are far safer compaired to the box, although many will disagree with me on that. The box splits are famous because of Mr Van Damme, they are more akin to women as their hips and hip joints are made slightly different compaired to us men. The front splits are far better for the arts with regards to kicks and stretching and builds up good muscle tone. The key to splits and all other material is to stretch and to do it right and in a warm place. Not everyone can do the splits and not everyone can be flexable as we are all made differently, go at your own pace and be patient.

I wish the best luck, happy stretching, and do not be too eager to do the splits. Be patient and work hard.

Osu.

Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

I sort of agree with wat Peterson said, Tommy's site suggested that the front splits are required for proper alignment for the side snap kicks

|Cain|

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The front splits are something I put on as part of my 'teenage freak show' effort. I just found that I was able to do them one day at a workout I had in a hostel, afterdoing some yoga-style stretches for a few months.

11. Adam

Adam New Member

They're cool to do after scoring a strike in the bowling alley, combined with double V signs.