Doing Center Splits..Need help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Ok well I can do the front splits with both of the legs, left out in front and right out in front but, for some reason I can't do the center split's. Whenever I try to do the center split's it doesn't hurt my thight,leg,groin,back area. It hurt's my hip flexor's and I was wondering how could I take the pressure off of the hip and onto the groin muscle's? My master Instructor told me that I was to tight in the lower body and hips. He stated that if I wanted to do the center split's i would have to stretch out the hip's more doing hip rotation's. Since then I've started doing them and it's working more and more each day. The other question i have is what are some other good excersize's for the hip? Thank's in advance I appreciate everybody's input.

2. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

you'll appreciate kickchick's input if she makes a guest appearance. Have you had a look at the resource library? There's a section on stretching with links to heaps of sites with info on stretching (one's dedicated to achieving the side splits) so you can check that out if you haven't already.

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Here is the first link I saw in the stickies that had "splits" in the name:

http://www.ifafitness.com/stretch/stretch7.htm

What I used to achieve the splits (both front and side) was dynamic leg raises twice a day.

In the morning as soon as I awoke, I'd do 12 leg raises with each leg in each direction. And I'd do that in the afternoon as well.

After about 2.5 months I was doing the splits, and after 3.5 months I was able to jump into them.

EDIT: great site http://www.stretching.info/column.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I'll save you a trip..................Voila'. :Angel:

5. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Thanks everyone

Thank's everyone, all of your help has saved me alot of trouble I appreciate it.

6. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Yeah, I know I'm lazy :eek:

7. Here's someone who hasn't got a chance in hell of doing the splits but has decent kicks :p

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

deep squats in a wide stance are an excellent exercise for building strength in the muscles used in the side split, which in turn will help you progress. A stronger muscle is less likely to tense as you stretch it.