Dog Brothers - Marc Denny's credentials

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by querist, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan Bondurant

Bryan Bondurant Banned Banned

As soon as all the gap people at the shopping mall open carry then fight with sticks at the food court, Im gonna take back everything I said and spend all my money training stick with Dog Brothers. Meanwhile, I have to prepare for what happens in the real world then stay prepared for that. All Marcs Dog Brothers stick fighting is LARPing, nothing more. The entire concept that you are ever gonna face an attacker as a 2 stick duel or that your stick training is going to translate into a 2 knife fight, there are serious odds against that, so far I do not know of it ever happening.

2. Bryan Bondurant

As soon as all the gap people at the shopping mall open carry then fight with sticks at the food court, Im gonna take back everything I said and spend all my money training stick with Dog Brothers. Meanwhile, I have to prepare for what happens in the real world then stay prepared for that. All Marcs Dog Brothers stick fighting is LARPing, nothing more. The entire concept that you are ever gonna face an attacker as a 2 stick duel or that your stick training is going to translate into a 2 knife fight, there are serious odds against that, so far I do not know of it ever happening.

I have trained with all kinds of people and then put it into action. I was in Philippines and sought out everything I could learn about knives, steel, sticks, the whole thing. I grew up on the back steps of ATA in Little Rock, started with Okinawin Karate at 5 or 6 in the early 70s, I am expert at designing, making, and using all manor of edged weapons. My grandfather was a Navy Chief in WW2 and in summer 1941 was shore patrol in New Orleans and Galveston prior to him shipping out to North Africa. He taught me the basics of knives, blunt weapons, and firearms from an early age. I have the knife he made and carried to Africa where according to legend he used it to kill Italians in Libya but who cares, really?

I was raised in Little Rock with Vietnamese kids who I had some pretty epic kid fights with exposing me to clinches and Mekong Boxing aka Muay Thai and all its variations from Cambodia to Burma, at 16 my girlfriend was Thai, later in my life I moved to Thailand. I lived in Thailand and was a regular at Rompo with Pek, the Megamedovs, Ramazan, Tomas Nowak, Shuki is a good friend of mine and lots of others, again, who cares? I am the one that set up the Bangkok Fight Club Facebook page in 2006, again, who cares? I don't, no big deal to me. I was never a pro fighter while living in Thailand but at the same time, going to a gym in a civilized country is not the same thing as living it in Thailand,

I trained BJJ with Rafeal Lovato and grappled and trained with Jr. when he was 13? Again who cares? I am listed on the Black Dragon Fighting Society webpage, I asked them to remove my name and never wanted it up there but so what? Its still there for better or worse or whatever. I went to Korea and studied Hopkido, so what?

Reality, I have actually smashed people in real time with no rules and nobody there to stop me from being killed in the process, but who cares about that, or the next hundred stories I can tell before I tell the next hundred stories, again so what. All this is thread is really about is so wannabe stick fighters can have their fantasy and live with it in a nice safe place.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So is this still not about ego? I'm losing track.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm genuinely not sure if the above is a deliberate joke or misjudged shenanigans...

bassai likes this.
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

America is a very patriotic country on the whole with huge support for the military, which in my opinion [as a former soldier] is a good thing. Marc may not have met the medical standards to enlist, he may have been too old, or frankly had too much going on with Dog Brothers and family to give military service the commitment it demands. There is no shame in any of those possibilities. But my point still stands - his lack of military service does not equate to lack of teaching ability in martial arts. As for Ted Nugent, that man's got nothing to do with this conversation so I don't know why you brought up his name. To an outside observer, you have said a lot about Marc Denny's character and abilities without fulfilling the burden of proof that falls on you as the person making such statements. All the opinions of Marc Deny held by other highly revered teachers say nothing but good things about the man. If we go with Occam's Razor here, what's more likely? They're wrong and you're right because you know things nobody else does? Or you're a bitter individual who comes on martial arts forums spreading gossip because you've nothing better to do?

aaradia and David Harrison like this.
  6. Bryan Bondurant

May the gods bless Marc, Im not out to get the man hanged with an online lynching or from wooden and rope gallows either. I have simply pointed out that he, a man on the tail end of Vietnam Draft eligibility spent a very long time going to school at the same time others his age were going to war. I have asked many times and gotten crickets on the subject. As far as his health, he looks like he was plenty healthy in his teens and twenties to be drafted but I have never seen his paperwork and doubt I ever will.

Marc became very patriotic in the early 2000s and was busy selling the American Dream for cash via tapes, t-shirts, and certificates. Having joined the Army as a volunteer at 18 I just found it funny to have him preaching to me about patriotism and such things, then figured out he like to dodge questions about Vietnam. Dog Brothers was not even a Swartzenager movie till the 80s, so no chance Guro was to busy teaching stick to go to the Nam.

I get it that people do no like my attitude, and or may not even get any points I'm making as I am speaking to certain peoples in language they understand, not really for the Brits, but no worries, and no particular disrespect to anyone outside of those friends and defenders of Marcs that called my wife a horrible name at some other unnamed place on the internet, and no, Marc did nothing like that and Im sure he did not approve of any of that.

One thing I did and still do find fault with Marc and Dog Brothers is their reverence/defence for Dr. Muang Gyi who is a military fraud of giant proportion, its an insult to every American whether they served in the military or not.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thread closed pending MOD discussion.

MAP is no longer the place for chest thumping and saying my dad is bigger than your dad.

axelb, Frodocious and Van Zandt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.