Dog Brothers - Marc Denny's credentials

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by querist, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's lots on their YouTube site, are you just looking for some of their videos, or do you want to train with them at some point?

2. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I would like to train with them at some point, but ultimately I would like to be able to teach others and pass on the art. That's why I'm concerned about lineages. Wing Chun and Kali go well together and I would like to teach them together.

3. Dead_pool

If you want to be able to teach, then only learning from DVDs won't get you anywhere, you would have to also learn in person and take part in gatherings etc to be able to get licenced to teach.

Have you any kali schools nearby?

You already know some kali yes? Maybe travel to a DB school / seminar/gathering and see how it all works?

querist likes this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd put as much, if not more, value on the lessons gained from actually going out and swinging rattan at each other than any sort of lineage, no matter how "legit" that lineage.

Dylan9d likes this.
  5. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Not sure if I already shared this here. Ryan Hoover is on to something....

MOD Note. Video removed. This is a family friendly site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  6. Dead_pool

^ you probably should put a language warning on that!

Linage is important in that you want to make sure your coach is who he/she says they are.

Thats it really, having Royce as a coach is a lot better then having Steve who is a third degree white belt teach you in his back garden, one has skills to teach. The other may not do, but as long as both are honest, that's fine.

querist likes this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Removed by mods in 3, 2, 1.....

Dylan9d and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Instructors

This guys website and YouTube are amazing!

Dylan9d likes this.
  9. querist

The closest one that I can find and recognize the lineage is outside of Dallas, which is about a two-hour drive. That's a bit much given that I work full time and have an overloaded class schedule this coming semester (I'm a university professor).

The whole thing about being authorized to teach by someone from a recognized lineage is important for credibility. I know that just because someone at one time passed the test doesn't mean that he/she still can do it, but in theory it at least means that he/she at one time could. It's too easy to set up an association, name yourself the chief instructor and master, and go from there. I'm sure it's been done more than once. That's why I was trying to track down Denny's credentials.

And, yes, I have a background in Inosanto Kali, which is why I was looking at the DB seminars. They don't have a school anywhere within reasonable driving distance for me.

10. Dead_pool

I would just train with people near you, and hit a seminar etc when you have more time.

Denny has an incredibly good reputation, if he's not legit, then noone else is either.

Google maps gives plenty of Kali in your general area.

11. querist

There's one place that teaches Kali in my city (Longview, TX) and I can find next to nothing about the lineage, and they only teach it as an adjunct to Isshin Ryu Karate. There are plenty of places that show up in the search, but none of them actually teach Kali. They're other martial arts places. The closest Kali place to me is outside of Dallas, about two hours.

Texas is a VERY large state. There are plenty of Kali schools 4-5 hours away, and more beyond that, but I've been looking for a while now and I'm not finding anything. Searching for Escrima in Longview, Texas lists the university where I teach, and I know we don't have an escrima club on campus. The Google results I'm getting are not helpful.

Thanks for looking, Dead_pool. I appreciate the effort. If you think you are getting better results, can you tell me what search terms you're using? I tried Kali in Longview Texas and Escrima in Longview Texas. There are plenty of martial arts schools in Longview, including a Wing Chun school with a teacher certified by the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Association (Ip Man Lineage, if I remember correctly), but no Kali.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

I'll reword that, there's plenty of Kali In South carolina in general, which is your location in your profile.

I'll have a look for you for Longville, did you email. The kali /isshin ryu place about their lineage?

Looks like the escrima is these guys, Isshinkai - Escrima - ACE

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Pretty In Pink likes this.
  13. querist

I just fixed my location. Thanks for finding that.

I'm going to give the teacher a call in the morning. She doesn't have an email address listed.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. querist

Thanks to Dead_Pool's sleuthing skills, I've contacted the teacher via Facebook. Thanks again for your help!

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

LOL......

16. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

The harder but even more credible way is to not piggyback on someone else's name and make a name of yourself....

Just saying....

icefield likes this.
  17. querist

This goes back to Dead_Pool's comment, though, about knowing who your instructor is. We've established that Marc Denny has valid credentials, and thanks to Dead_Pool's help I've found what appears to be a credible instructor in my area. I've contacted her and we're trying to set up a time to train.

I understand the concern about piggybacking on someone else's name, but at the same time if you're concerned about passing on an art it would make sense, at least to me, to learn from someone who actually learned the art from an authentic instructor.

There was an interesting discussion about lineages over in the Kung Fu section where someone was claiming to be a JKD instructor but refused to list his lineage. JKD is about 50 years old and all lineages trace back to Bruce Lee. How hard can it be to list such a short lineage?

With the help of some very kind people here, I've found my answers and perhaps a new Guro to teach me eskrima. Thanks, everyone!

18. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I'm not sure if you checked out the video I posted before it got removed, if you want I can send the link over to you in a PM.

Congrats on finding a teacher, I know that isn't the easiest task nowadays. I hope he can fill you needs.

19. querist

Yes, please send that link.

And I'll let you folks know how things go with her. She teaches Largo Mano Escrima. Her teacher is Arcenio Advincula, who's been mentioned here on MAP before.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm so glad you found someone! Congratulations! And well done DP for doing the digging!

querist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.