Dog Brothers - Marc Denny's credentials

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by querist, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I don't know where else to ask this. The Dog Brothers teach stick fighting, and I know they're listed as a system that uses Pekiti Tirsia. I've read that Marc Denny has trained with / maybe still trains with Guro Dan Inosanto.

The thing that confuses me is that nowhere on the Dog Brothers' site do they list Marc Denny's credentials. Other instructors have theirs listed, but not Marc Denny. He's listed as Punong Guro, but under whom?

I know my lineage. I can't seem to find his, and I'm wondering if I should bother with their material.

I mean no disrespect. The man can obviously fight, but as a more traditionally schooled martial artist, lineages are important to me.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. querist

Thanks, Dead_pool. He's not listed on Guro Dan's site as an instructor, so I was wondering what was going on.

4. Dead_pool

Iirc he wouldn't be an active DI instructor, as he's running his own thing, it's the difference between running a WC franchise, and having trained with the top chief, still training with them, but not paying running their own franchise.

There's a DB guy on here, I'm sure he'll will update you better then my reading of a third party website.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Dog brothers started as Inosanto students getting together to actually hit each other all the original dog brothers were I believe his students.

Why you wouldn't learn from someone who is obviously so skilled in actually making this stuff work full contact simply because you're don't know his full lineage really is telling and for me is at the heart of why traditional arts are doing so badly and are so looked down on by arts that do fight

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

I think some people don't see something that we see as obvious skills, because they don't know what's what yet.

I get why making sure your coach is legit makes sense, I also think it's good to do your homework, but I also see that if you only know a little about the subject matter, an over focus on lineage etc can be a mistake.

querist likes this.
  7. querist

To each his own, I guess. For me, knowing that there is a recognized lineage gives me a reference point. Yes, he can swing sticks and hit people, but knowing that he trained with Guro Inosanto and is recognized by him as an instructor tells me that he has actually learned the art and then adapted it, as opposed to someone who trained for a little while and then proclaimed himself a teacher and essentially brawls with sticks. I am interested in learning FMA and how to apply the art, not simply how to hit people with sticks.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep quite right to each his own.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

See the whole of wing chun as an example of what can go wrong with an over focus on lineage

Anyone who has done the slightest weapons work can see not only how skilled the dog brothers are but also it's not just hitting each other with weapons

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. querist

That's what I'm trying to do. I've had some training in Inosanto Kali, so I know a little about the subject. I know that the Dog Brothers can fight. I'm just trying to do my research before spending my money.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Whilst I see what your saying, I would argue FMA is just an highly evolved way to hit people with sticks.... And without.....

12. querist

I'm not saying they can't fight. It is obvious that they can. I am simply trying to learn what I can before spending my money and I found it curious that he lists the credentials of other instructors in the group but not his own.

And, yes, there is too much politics in Wing Chun. It's sad.

13. querist

"Highly evolved way..." That's the point. It's not just random swinging of sticks. There's a methodology to it. There are principles behind how things are done. _THAT_ is what I want to learn, and I want to learn it in a way that it can be used effectively in combat, not that I plan to get into such a situation.

Knowing that someone was systematically taught how to do something gives a little more hope that that same person can systematically teach how to do something. It's not a guarantee, of course, but it offers hope.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Having low armour sparring also helps that evolutionary pressure, if theres no pressure, it very easy to lose what makes an art effective inside one training generation.

philosoraptor likes this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep, go watch some Kali classes, the complicated disarms, the striking patterns etc

then go watch an actual light armour or even padded stick competition and you can see the disconnect that can come around from not sparring regularly

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

This is exactly why I stopped Pekiti Tirsia and shifted the focus on the way less complicated stickfighting that my Silat teacher taught me. It's simply hit or be hit.

If you want to disarm them hit, if you want to control someone hit. It's a pretty straight forward concept.

For the topic at hand, if you want someones credentials and see if they are valid there is a simple method to establish that, just train with them.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The DB curriculum is meticulously set out and there is a lot of theory behind their praxis. Most people only see the fights though- which I find amusing as there is a LOT of Marc Denny footage out there of him teaching application in his very clear manner

If it helps Burton Richardson is one of the first Dog Brothers and has his own syllabus of “Battfield Kali” - it follows similar principles

Marc Denny’s lineage and training is actually incredibly easy to find if you look

querist and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

querist and Hannibal like this.
  19. querist

Thanks, folks, for your help. I saw the link for the interview and I didn't look at it while checking out the web site. Sure enough, he's certified under Guro Inosanto. Thanks.

20. querist

Thanks, Hannibal. I'm trying to find some of his videos showing him teaching, so I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.