Does your kickboxing gym/org allow low kicks?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Adam, Apr 4, 2004.

?

Does your kickboxing allow low kicks?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Adam

Adam New Member

All kickboxing here that isn't MT outlaws low kicks. I was wondering if it's the same everywhere.

2. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

My kickboxing doesnt allow low kicks.

I thought that was one of the differences between MT and kickboxing
    MT= kickboxing + low kicks, elbows and knees.

Are you allowed spinning back fist in your kickboxing?

3. Adam

Adam New Member

Local kickboxing gym allows SBF, yes.

4. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

No low kicks here either! Although I originally trained in muay Thai, so at least know what I'm missing.

Do you do much in the way of elbows and knees? When I did MT, these were core techniques, but kickboxing seems to omit them. My kickboxing club appears to be more acrobatic in its kicking techniques though. Less practical on the street - at least at my level of (in)ability - but lots of fun (which is why I train) :)

5. Adam

Adam New Member

What is the reason for not using low kicks? Local kickboxing gym states it's because "Our knees would get too damaged!" which is utter nonsense. I've taken plenty of roundhouses to the legs and shins without any damage. Why are kickboxers too wimpy to use low kicks? ;)

6. semphoon

Well, my gym doesnt do elbows/knees/low kicks for the reason- "We all have to go to work in the morning so it would be good to walk there...and still have a face and intact ribs" :D

I'm not to fussed about missing out. We do clinch work though.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

I can see your point about disallowing elbows and knees to the face, but why not allow knees to the body and thighs, elbows to the body and low kicks? Even after taking massive low kicking punishment, the worst injury I had was walking funny for a week or so. Not very socially crippling.

8. semphoon

I dont know, the guy is pretty tough (international champ etc).

Im quite glad about not allowing low kicks- my knees are feeling bad at the mo as it is. The thought of them getting kicked does not appeal.

Horses for courses etc.

9. Adam

Adam New Member

You generally don't take a lot of kicks to the knees. The point of the basic low roundhouse kick is to chop through the thighs, not the knees, and even when you occasionally DO get hit on the side of the knee, your stance should prevent you from taking much damage anyway. Side and stomp kicks to the knee is another matter.
    If you want to start sparring with low kicks however, you do need to learn how to shin/knee block properly, or you will have some SOOORE legs!

10. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

My kickboxing club allows low kicks in sparring but no stomp kicks to the knees (for obvious reasons). The club does teach thai boxing elements (knee and elbows strikes) and also some grappling techniques though so its not a purely kickboxing club.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes, we are taught to use low kicks in our SD classes.

12. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

well my kickboxing school lets us use low kicks in training
    in fact i fight with leg kicks (in thai shorts)
    and my sensei won a title in fighting with his low kicks!
    his low kicks won him the fight!!!

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

how can you do clinch work when you arent allowed to knee or elbow? clinching is used to set those up, those and throws.

14. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Hooking and uppercutting, I imagine. Like in boxing.

15. Nope, we are FC rules almost exclusively. The PKA (who I am with) are american rules only, and the other gym which i occasionally attend offers thai/low kick rules, but no one really does them. Never interested me, anyway.

American rules=above waist only
    Low kick/international rules = American + low kicks
    Muay Thai=international + elbows + knees

International is based on America being "home". So basically not american :D For full rules of any of the 2 kickboxing styles, contact me.

Nope. PKA and WAKO do not allow spinning backfist as it is considered "blind" I'm not sure about WKA. I think the IKF also state that all punches must be with the front of the glove. If they let you punch how you want, it makes it hard for referees to judge slaps from genuine, hard strikes.

16. Basically, the clinch (at least in american rules) will involve some rabbit punching (like boxing :p). Also, it is not liked by refs or fighters, so normally the 2 fighters push each other apart quite quickly. I dont like the fact that since not all fighters over 18 have to wear headguards (even amateurs), they give the opportunity of a headbutt, too.

The clinchwork practiced, though, is mainly pushing away and punching, tbh.

17. kickboxingidiot

the WKA were the first to span the spinnign backfist

under the WKA rules

"kickboxing rules" allows leg kicks and figthers wear thai shorts and kickboots (but no shinpads unless amateur ruels)

Under WAKO Pro kickboxing low kick rules ,...
    the world titles used to be 12x2 mins (just like Full contact which is kick above waist)
    now world titles are 5x3mins and
    again WAKO pro low kick rules fight in thai shorts , WAKO pro used to use boots but now theyve binned/banned /removed them to make bear feets

18. Skinnyman

Skinnyman New Member

I practice Chinese Kickboxing, and although low kicks and elbows aren't allowed during sparring or in competition, (we use the semi-contact rules)
    we are still taught the techniques due to their obvious self-defence benefits.

19. kickboxingidiot

what?
    chinese kickboxin?
    not lau gar is it?

it amazes me that people actually call it "kickboxing" no offense but id call it a watered down freestyl;e karate/kung fu hybrid system
    NEVER call it kickboxing though
    even though you may play around with kickboxing concepts

20. Aaren J

Aaren J New Member

We use low kicks in our chinese kickboxing as well. Can't see much use in high kicks, to be honest.