Does Wing Chun fail against boxing most of the times?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, May 27, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Really disappointing and ruins kung fu films for me :(

David Harrison likes this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No he isn't he does a form of southern kung fu not wing chun

Dead_pool and Mushroom like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

He's got a 108 Dragons tattoo on his arm. I thought he was CLF. Which explains his overhand right (lol) but actually not sure which style he is....

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

From memory long arm stuff shaolin based, so yep explains the over hand right, luckily the long arm stuff isn't too deadly for the ring !

Mushroom, Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Spot on!

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's a really interesting point, and I think that the impact of the culture of training is often missed.

However, I also think it is a mistake to presume that RBSD or professional training is necessarily adapted to non-consensual violence over a period of time. Much of it, going by the experiences of people I know who have done it and a little experience of my own, is adapted to factors such as instilling false confidence in a bite-sized seminar format, or budgetary constraints on the hours of training and insurance considerations for levels of contact in professional training.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I don't know if no one else can show bagua working in a fight then who is to say you are wrong and the naysayers right?

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Idk but I'd take my grappling over an officer trying to arrest me. Although I'd imagine arrest training includes calling for back up and restraining with help.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its not made for the ring
    Its too deadly to be practical in a ruled environment
    The ring limits its weapons too much to be useful
    Its techniques and strategy are suited for the street

Pick any of the above and insert it, maybe the above is valid I don't know, all I do know was when mma first started in Brazil and even in the USA it was very limited/no rules and wing chun wasn't seen working then, and there aren't that many clips of it in street fights cleaning house.

Also funny how a big thing is made of it working in those roof top fights which when you see them had more rules than an mma amateur fight lol...

Dead_pool and Knee Rider like this.
  10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

And I'd never want to use my arrest training without attributes built through sportive sparring, but I also wouldn't want to only have ring-sport as my only skills in doing arrests, weapon retention, etc.

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Ok but when you say "prevailing and pervasive" and community, what do you really mean? Social media? Thank goodness other arts don't post a lot of "us vs you" videos. Let me be the first to say if boxers spent a lot of time posting catty Youtube videos, there'd be a lot more you know what out there. I'm willing to let the Wing Chun people a pass as a whole, but that doesn't mean we can't single out particular cases, such as the Wing Chun person in this video, who clearly had never faced a boxer, ever before. It's almost as if good Wing Chun people should hang out and spar with boxers, and bad ones don't and have a lot of reasons why and they post about it on Youtube. Apologetics.

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I'm not. Wing chun folks for the most part... very bad. The techniques have merit for what they are, but the transmission standard has been mostly pretty bad even going back to Ip Man's first crop of students. Very few of the Gen 1 group were indoor students and very few of those have made a good standard of teaching their own students, and that's to say nothing of the fact that the training methodologies haven't evolved to keep pace in the way that something like the transition from Muay Boran to Muay Thai did.

Grond likes this.
  13. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Why single out wing chun?

Many martial arts have their issues. Taekwondo has bizarre sparring rules, which cause very poor boxing skills and no answer to low kicks. JKD has all manner of counter-traps against traps, which rely on sensitivity and fine motor skills that are lost under adrenal stress. Judo doesn’t address striking. And so on.

Grond likes this.
  14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well...it is the thread topic.

15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Go to a few wing chun schools, speak to some chunners and you tell me. I've trained wing chin briefly. I was told the straight punch through the centre line is most efficient and drilled stepping through the centre line as a response to circular punches ('hooks' and haymakers). You see countless others espousing the same opinion.

Spend any time talking to wing chun players, training in it, watching videos and interviews and you'll see some common themes. Even more so if you have emeresed yourself in the community to instructor level, like the guy in the video and Sifu Ben above.

Grond likes this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Judo has never claimed to be the ultimate scientific self defence art
    Jkds issues stem from wing chun
    Olympic tkd is a sport none really claim that sparring is good for the street

Wing chun is the largest Chinese martial art in the world partly because of bruce and partly because of the claims made about it, scientific trainimg, quick to learn, effocent and practical and so on.

And yet outside of some kids fighting on a roof there is no proof its those things

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  17. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Guys, please stop with all these intelligent answers. This is supposed to be a martial arts forum. You should be replying with things like “because wing chun SUCKS!” :D

18. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

One thing I’d add is the whole “kids fighting on a rooftop” thing, assuming it really happened, were probably not the epic battles they were made out to be...

They probably made the above video look like an epic battle.

In fact if you read between the lines on the ‘epic’ battle between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man, it was similarly embarrassing for both participants.

You have to fight to properly develop fighting skills. And you have to fight high level opponents to develop high level fighting skills.

As much as BJJ is attributed to the Gracies, Mitsuyo Maeda was traveling the world fighting challenge matches, and exchanging strategies with other Japanese traveling fighters before settling in Brazil and teaching them. I think the challenge match mentality is the biggest strength of combat sports.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

This touches on a thought I've long had.

Way back in time I dabbled in wing chun in a JKD environment, but had a personal preference for escrima trapping, and so went more in that direction. My impression of wing chun was, and still is, that it is designed around the trapping-hands range. It's the "range of weapons" concept. Swords, spears, staffs can reach you from far off. Next is kicks, because legs are longer than arms. Next is the jab/cross boxing range. Next is the trapping-hands range. Next is judo throws and wrestling takedowns.

It's always been my thought that wing chun specializes in the trapping-hands range while addressing the jab/cross range to a lesser degree. That's only 2 out of 5 ranges (but coincidentally the same 2 ranges of western boxing). As long as the fight stays there, wing chun is good.

If it doesn't stay there, though ... well, isn't the global idea of combat "he who picks the field wins the battle?" A BJJ'er will lose to a kicker if he can't get the kicker on the ground, right? And vice versa, the kicker wins if he keeps the fight at that range.

(???) :confused:o_O:oops::eek: So it's all about whether the wing chunner can keep the fight in trapping range.

My foundations are aikido and escrima, both of which fluidly move between ranges without thinking. Based on my personal experience I say the answer is, "No, you cannot expect to keep a fight in the trapping range. If AikiMac wants a different range AikiMac will get a different range." And I think THAT is why wing chun generally "fails" in modern contexts. There is an inability to keep the fight in trapping range.

Really, look at professional boxing fights. How many seconds per round are they in kicking range, or even sword range?! You can't keep a fight in trapping or even punching range.

/end my 2 cents

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Trapping range makes sense if both guys accept fighting at that range, in southern China bak mei, dragon, southern mantis, old frame hung gar all shared the same centre line theory as wing chun the same close range ideas and the same sticking ideas so it worked. Look at the start of the pillar forms in hung gar or village hung gar and they closely resemble wing chin in stance and theory.

Then certain northerners started turning up with a whole different way of fighting (along the line of forget sticking we are going over around or simply through the bridge) especially those with a lama pai background and when they were done with their challenge matches and everyone was .unconscious they were acknowledged as the new top guys in canton.

Some arts changed and added in these new ideas hung gar taking on board the long range strikes etc

And some arts didn't

David Harrison and aikiMac like this.