Does weapon bans hurt martial art training?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by windtalker, Dec 12, 2007.

1. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

There is a thread in the weapon forum about a possible ban on swords in England. Some other references can be found here on MAP about weapon bans as well. Which includes my rant about gun control efforts. What I thought might be an interesting topic is how weapon bans hinder martial arts training and to what extent.

There seem to be a fair number of martial arts that use weapons and the number of weapons varies. According to Jester they learned about two or three weapons in Shotokan including the Tonfa, Bo staff and Sais. Yet I learned some Chinese styles have twenty or more weapons in thier different art forms.

Granted a ban of swords would cause serious issues for Kenjutsu students. Yet what about martial arts that are not primarily about weapons? Or those which have a balance of empty hand to weapons like FMA?

2. elektro

elektro Valued Member

First time I've heard of weapons training in Shotokan..... ya learn something new every day, I guess.

3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

No, the law is worded so as to exempt MAist.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I doubt most training swords count as actual swords, right? I mean are fencing foils, bendy chinese swords and telescopic tai chi swords going to be banned? I very much doubt it.

6. windtalker

Do you personally trust a politician to even recognize the difference between training and fighting swords? What are the odds that a politician would even know anything concerning martial arts? The lawmakers are free to introduce legislation on subjects they know nothing about. Better to play it safe and oppose any sword ban.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Well William Hague and ,i think , lord Coe are both graded in judo , so there's a chance that someone may have some knowledge.

8. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Weapon bans should not affect Martial Artists. Real MAists don't need weapons.

9. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

So iaido isn't a "real" martial art? Or any TMA that use weapons in their forms? What about all the european martial arts?

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Most of the time you have to take things SM says with a pinch of salt.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The ban will have little or no effect on anyone in MA.

It may stop sad wanabes buying a katana and claiming to be gajillionth dan in Kendo because they can throw some shapes.

Good result all round I think :)

Seriously, I think people are building this into something it isn't.

Mitch

12. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Agreed.

13. Student 0f Life

Student 0f Life Valued Member

The Meiji Revolution all over again...

What?! If they try to strip us of our swords, it shall mean rebellion! :p

14. windtalker

Martial=War. Then Samurai were not martial artists becuase they used swords? What about the Shaolin monks with thier weapons?

These days most students of martial arts learn fighting skills because they enjoy as much. Not because the majority of us have to learn by neccesity to survive.

Maybe you are thinking in terms of sport-related martial arts?

15. windtalker

Not to mention hip waders. :D

16. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Or with a shot of bourbon!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Now we're talkin'! :)

Well, I'm more of a single malt scotch guy, but bourbon will do in a pinch. :D

-Mark

18. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

If you do make it to Scotland I shall arrange just that.

regards koyo