Does size always matter in a street fight?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by musikah, May 6, 2013.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That's good to know.

I've experienced about 50% hit or miss with the upward elbows, but mainly because we teach it straight up and about 30 degrees back. I think the normal way it is done is 45 degrees back which has a higher percentage hit ratio.

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I just tell them to try and hit the target. :)

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Don't mis-understand, upwrd or high elbows have a place. But not the way I have been observing in most of these "Community Self Defense Courses"

devils advocate...a very misunderstood misnomer

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This usually makes any technique a lot more effective because you make the intent count not the nuances of the body. Long term you obviously need refinement but hitting something as hard as you can is one key to SD that is overlooked

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Indeed. But that said, people who train in such "courses" may hit hard in the classroom, but fail to do so upon the moment

6. Hannibal

As may any who are trained. If I teach you how to do a push up properly you still have to go away and actually practice them to see strength gains...same with physical and mental aspects of self-defence.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm pretty sure I can throw on a Tapout shirt and be good at anything involving fighting or physical fitness.

"Do actual work" . . . . :rolleyes:

8. Hannibal

Obviously there are exceptions...the sheer terror of a Tapout bedecked body will often cause people to flee

9. Simon D

Simon D New Member

Elbow strikes have there place, but oftern the head is more effective, and a taller person can be pulled onto it creating sapce for other options, like running. But not if waring tap out gear, which as we all know makes you invincible.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

No matter how big they are, a strong shin to the groin will "nearly" always bring them down to size (unless they're the Man of Steel himself). :)

11. Simon D

Simon D New Member

If it lands the Shin to the groin will work wonders. It's all so very subjective but generally size and weight does give an advantage. Just think of a sumo sitting on you!

12. Unreal Combat

I suddenly have images of Rikishi doing his thing. Thanks for that...

In all seriousness, weight and size will always give an advantage, but a smart mind can work around that. There can be a lot of subjectivity, like fitness, experience, aggression, and ability being strong factors, and it can also be very situational also.

The reality is that it's not a black and white answer, but for every advantage a bigger person has there's a way to counter balance it to the trained mind.

Unless you have a Sumo sitting on you, then you're probably screwed unless you have arms that can bench an Elephant.

13. Unreal Combat

Lol I just came across this on Youtube and thought of this topic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS1zh45Fts"]600lbs Sumo Vs 169lbs MMA Fighter - YouTube[/ame]