Does kyokushin tournament rules betray Karates origin?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by itf-taekwondo, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Annihilated is not a qoute. But he stated outright it's incompatible. I disagree with him. There cannot be such a thing as too much knowledge or experience, and martial arts is no exception!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Are you choosing to ignore this, or have I hit the nail directly on the head?

Saying, "yes he is", isn't going to cut it as an answer.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The 1960s called. They asked for their high horse back.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Sparring has always been a part of karate.

If you're looking at free sparring look to Miyagi and Mabuni and armoured sparring in the 1930s - that was something that Funakoshi speculated about introducing for gradings in Shotokan.
    TRADITION2.jpg

If you are thinking of informal competition fights then think of the duels related of Sokon Matsumura in the late 19th C. These were essentially 'no rules' competitions rather than fighting in self defence.

If you are thinking of formal karate competitions then the earliest I know of was in 1954.

Given that the Japanese styles only really date from the 30s, as I said above, sparring and competitions have been around almost as long as Japanese karate.

5. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Now that would finally be a TKD event I might have a chance at!

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It would be one I might actually enjoy watching too!

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

So, awesome and packed with great technique
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OMHI67DII"]Kyokushin karate Highlights part I - YouTube[/ame]

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Also, when you put a Kyokushin black belt in a head punching environment, great things can happen
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep8_Kb1brV4"]Andy Hug vs. Hiromi amada K-1 Opening 1999 - YouTube[/ame]

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Martial arts might be one of the only human endeavours in which people complain that it suffers for actually achieving its stated goal. How can a combative practice possibly "lose its art" when it actually works? And what "more artistic" avenue does a better job of demonstrating the actual application of a martial art to its intended purpose?

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Well I've never done any Kyokushin (or even seen any in the real world) so I'd better post my learned opinion on the subject...

Mind you - I did Kyu Shin Ryu Karate for 25 years and one of our black belts once said "It's like Kyokushin but without the pain" :) :) :)

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's categorized as "mutually agreed torture" under the Geneva convention.

Personally I don't think any karate competition formats really reflect what karate was about back in the day. Not the "kendo without shinai" ippon kumite or the no face striking knockdown stuff.
    As always I think they all have pros and cons and if you really want to be a versatile and effective martial artist you should be willing to do them all and triangulate your desired goal from multiple angles.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Once again..................

..........People need to stop worrying so much about what others do in training and take that time to go train more themselves.

I don't run around with the hubris to tell others about their chosen art. Like I get to be judge and jury of arts. If I don't like an art, I don't train in it. Simple!

Again, the wonderful thing about martial arts is there is enough variety that people can choose what is right for them. And other people need to butt out of those choices.

OP- go train in your chosen art. And stop worrying about what others choose to do.

13. itf-taekwondo

Mr moderator, please, give it a rest.

To Bassai: You did not link to tournament footage of Japanase Karate Association events. Only a demonstration of kumite techniques.

Tournament footage dating from 1975-1985 is not easy to come by.

14. Simon

Give what a rest? Asking awkward questions?

Sorry, not going to happen.

15. Hannibal

Well as it took me mere seconds to find 1967 footage I call shenanigans

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqnbIuV86o"]JKA 1967 Miyazaki Shirai Enoeda Kanazawa Kase Belgium Gratz 1967 - YouTube[/ame]

If this is supposed to knock our socks off then mission failed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  16. Hannibal

Thanks Simon...damn smartphones!

Have to say when I first saw the JKA footage a few years ago I found it massively underwhelming....having been raised on tales of badassery it was a huge letdown to see that the "gods" not only had clay feet but clay hands too

17. itf-taekwondo

Take it up with Bassai, who claimed it was "brutal" back in the day.

Those practitioners looked sloppy, to say the least. World and european events are what I look for. If that's the best Karate had to offer in the 60s, I am not impressed.

18. Hannibal

Both of those gentleman are superior in rank to your fathers alleged rank and both are considered better than him

Ergo you are either lying or else your dad sucks too

19. Simon

Says the newby.

Yet this is when your father had his success, right? In an area that wasn't very good.

Damn, if only we had a video, or a link to something somewhere.

20. Hannibal

I give chummy about a day before another time out....crap troll is crap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.