Does kyokushin tournament rules betray Karates origin?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by itf-taekwondo, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

no, it's all good, there was an investigation by the karate police in 1983, and kyokushin was cleared of all charges. Not everyone speaks to it at the christmas party (possibly for fear of getting punched very hard in the solar plexus if they say the wrong thing), but it is still in the will where it is down to get its great uncle's sweat-sodden gi and the good silver, and is still part of the family.

Seriously? You're basing this whole thing on the concept that 'te' means hand; kyokushin doesn't allow hand attacks to the head in competition; and therefore kyokushin isn't karate?

Let me guess: you don't know anything about kyokushin and you don't know anything about karate, right?

Well, karate is a broad multifaceted church linked by ancestry and kyokushin sits squarely in the middle of its ecumenical rainbow.

Am I right in assuming you think that any karate out there is true to the original intent? Well, what was that intent? If you know for certain, you're doing better than almost everyone else on the planet. And which strain of karate? From the early 20th century karate pioneers, we know that the intent of Motobu's karate was different from Miyagi's karate, Uechi's karate and Funakoshi's karate, and that the origins of the various strands of karate today came from multiple sources.

I also know traditionalists; and some are highly enamoured of kyokushin karate on both practical and historic grounds. Others don't care either way, because it doesn't affect them and isn't important.

2. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

double post

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Your non answers are noted , however , in the spirit of conversation

1/ If you're against high kicks why have you nailed you colours to ITF TKD ?
    2/ What's wrong with being able to go to work the next day ?
    3/ You claim your dad competed in JKA competition back in the day , have you watched them ? they were pretty brutal , with not that much art.

4. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

5. bassai

6. itf-taekwondo

How were they non answers?

1. I might switch to Karate, if he insists and doesn't go abroad as much he used to. He really dislikes TKD patterns and concideres them a catastrophe:D

2 I am not sure how any job description is relevant to the discussion. Not sure what you are getting at.

3. It's very hard to find footage of it. But he liked it the most out the bunch. He competed because of his recognized talent, and did not have much choice. Like I said, he's not fan of any competition. And certainly not kyokushin.

7. bassai

Out of interest , what are you and your dads views on the roundhouse kick in Shotokan Karate ?

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is like Bill Gates' son who took up painting at an early age and who only has a typewriter trying to argue why Microsoft is best.

9. itf-taekwondo

My view is neutral. I haven't asked him or discussed it.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is all far too vague and not just on this thread.

I'm afraid itf-taekwondo that I don't believe your father is a high ranking martial artist of any kind.

You have a trail of closed or nonsensical thread, non of which are backed up with videos, links, peer reviewed papers, pictures, names, numbers, dates and timelines.

I think this is the last thread you post on how certain styles don't fit into your view of martial arts.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

How is the bouncy foot tag semi contact nature of ITF competition any better then Kyokushin karate competition?

Look i can play the dad card as well. My dad trained in TKD back in the 60's no face punching or low kicking in competition. He did quite well.(helps that he is 6'3" with long legs)

Whats funny is the style of competition made no bearing on his ability to defend him self. Due to some unfortunate circumstances(barely controlled epilepsy) my dad had to hitchhike alot. Couple that with some unique beliefs he held at that time and you get a guy that people wanted to just punch in the face.

You would think if you read sherdog and bullshido that my dad would drop into that bouncy hands at his sides crudtacular stance that competitive tkd'ists have and play foot tag. Nope, his traditional training was what came through.

I asked him to walk me through some of his encounters, and only some of them featured kicking, and those that did were safe kicks nothing high. Most of them were finished with punching and throwing. PUNCHING AND THROWING!!!!! From a TKD'ist!?!

I asked him how much bearing his sparring and competition played on his ability to defend him self. He told me it made no difference and to him was just a fun game. He was more interested in the Step drills and hoshinsul. Which he did a heck of a lot of in his spar time with his brother.(boxer/wrestler cop soldier all around awesome dude, RIP)

To be honest i was and am surprised at his opinion of sparring as it does not mesh with anything i have read or heard anywhere.(outside of the non competitive arts)

To be honest with my opinion i think those kyokushin guys are in a better position then alot of people in karate to implement the traditional techniques. By that i mean those that spar with no contact of any kind or no continuous sparring of any kind.

Edit out some nonsense

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  12. bassai

There was no substance to them , again just generic that's what everyone else thinks stuff

Do you really live that deep in your dads shadow ? Do the art you want to

In the real world , a lot of people may jeopardize their career if they constantly turn up to work with black eyes and thick lips

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jka+kumite that took about 30 seconds , three quaters of the way down the first page is some stuff from 1972

13. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Why not ask your dad to join the forum. You acting as a proxy for him isnt moving the topic forward whatsoever.

Baza

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  14. itf-taekwondo

People asked who thought this way besides me. I answered the question. I concider his opinions quite radical in rejecting competition altogether, though.

15. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Think i'll leave this topic. It's going nowhere.

Baza

16. itf-taekwondo

I will make a note of that.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Not really.

In Karate you will find...

1. People who enjoy and like competitive sparring and for whom it is 'real' karate.
    2. People who quite like it and just see it as one part of their karate training (in addition to training in basics and forms).
    3. People who don't like sparring or competitions but recognise their value in providing focus and skills training for others.
    4. People who don't like sparring or competitions, see no value in them, think they are ruining karate and complain that they aren't traditional (as they've only been around for as long as almost all the Japanese styles of karate :evil:).

Plus variations thereof.

All are pretty common positions in my experience.

18. itf-taekwondo

You mean rejecting kumite and competition go hand in hand? Or do you mean free style sparring?

Karate competitions came quite a bit later, from what I gather and my father told me. Not that I would care either way, but maybe some do.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's inane. Seriously look at it, look at the two contexts you or he is comparing.

Kendo
    Kyudo
    Iaido

All of them have competitive elements. I'd love to see the argument for the art aspect being anihilated.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So which styles did they study and what were the problems they saw?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.