Does Fornication deplete Chi?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Student 0f Life, Mar 7, 2007.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

I saw that somewhere...

KJN mentioned a few weeks ago that TCM recommends not training for 100 days after childbirth. I can certainly see that in a case like you mention, where it's a very difficult labor, significant blood loss, etc. But what if it's not? What if everything goes fine?

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I've not heard this before...not training for 100 days.

I haven't studied TCM that much...but I have studied NeiGong. With NeiGong there are specific excercises dependant on the nature of the actual birth, to be started immediately after childbirth. These (gentle at first..slowly building) brings the womans body back to pre-birth quickly. Usually under a year. Whereas doing nothing means most women carry the birth trauma until death.

3. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

From all I have heard you are right on CarysB,

There are specific training methods that you can use to rebuild the female body after pregnancy, even if it is a difficult childbirth. The difficulty with women is that if they train very hard (with a lot of sweating, kind of like modern women athletes) they drain their Yin which helps to build their blood. This is interesting because they are now finding that women athletes experience menopause earlier which in TCM is Yin deficiency.

But I think this is why you may have heard of not training for 100 days afterwards. Taoists were sometimes known for thier "better safe than sorry" and balanced attitude. Also you have to remember that Female Taoists do have exercises that stop menses completely to conserve blood. Though to my knowledge, most female taoists do not have kids either. Also I have heard it said it can take 100 days to build blood.

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

As I said..Id never heard of not training after childbirth. Training is vital then.

Yes...I am aware of Female Taoist Practices....something I have done for many, many years. Most peope think I am much younger than my actual age...something I put down to 1.good genes 2. Taoist practices. :D :Angel:

Where have you heard that it takes 100 days to build blood, as that also runs contrary to my beliefs. I am always interested in debating these things.

5. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I have heard that from a few taoist practitioners. I cannot truly confirm the source, but for some reason (I have not been able to figure out why) There seems to be something about the number 100 for Taoists. I have also heard that one bad night of sleep can take the body 100 days to recover, just like the building blood.

Though, personally there are many variables to this and I find it to not be true. Also considering I cannot find out how that works i.e. The chinese calender cycle, the 5 elements, even gods and worship days etc. nothing seems to fit into the 100 day theory. So I fill that under hearsay and so far I have not found much value to it.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

Not just early menopause, overtraining can cause amenorrhea (not cycling) anytime. It's part of "the female athlete triad"... but I think that may be attributed (in Western medicine) with too low a percentage of body fat.

On the other hand, obesity can also cause amenorrhea, because body fat can create testosterone, and that can lead to something variously called "syndrome x", "metabolic syndrome", "polycystic ovarian syndrome" ... and can also cause amenorrhea.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the Taoist or TCM aspects of these, but it is something I've looked into on the western side.

7. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Ember,
    Thanks for the info, I did know somewhat about the western aspects of these, but have not done much research regarding it. TCM and taoist thought would be looking more into the other symptomology that is presented with said patient to determine the exact dianosis. For example:

Yin deficiency (general):
    Night sweats
    Dry/red tongue coating
    Hands, feet, chest are hot
    Possibly afternoon fevers
    Feeling of heat rising up

Not all those have to be present to classify a yin deficiency, then you can add that to said organ that maybe involved. Great post thanks :D

8. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

well... the first emperor of China... of the Ch'in Dynasty...
    he went all paranoid towards the end and he was gonna die... so he ate mercury pills, told his buddy to go find the island wit the fruit of everlasting life (turned out legend says they found japan) and he sexed with all different women to keep his health up...

but when you start eating mercury you're screwed, no matter how many women you screw

meaning sex safely and your Chi will be... bangin'! :D

Last edited: May 13, 2007