does anyone train here?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by roninmaster, Apr 16, 2010.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

http://www.ussd.com/a/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

i had a friend of mines friend tell me he trains here. some of the claims he made of the school seemed very BS'y he said something like there the only link to the true shaolin temple in china. which to my knowledge didnt even study kenpo since from what i know most of modern kempo while having orgins in china, was culminated in japan, and hawaii. also seeing as most temples now only do wushu with sanshou thrown in for self-defense ever since other martial arts schools were outlawed by the chinese government.

this might simply be one person blabbering on about what some sensai told them to attract more students. However, i understand and fully except the possibility of me being wrong, and therefore wanted different opinions.

2. greaseball

greaseball New Member

What USSD claims as a whole is not exactly this. In their handbook it actually says that ALL martial arts can be traced back to the shaolin temples and prior to that there is much debate to the country of origin, it also recognizes a few of people who may have helped develop martial arts. The first part of the handbook actually explains the origin of ALL forms of martial arts as best known, the second part is about USSD and never claims to be the only TRUE link to shaolin, and as I said in another post, dumbasses are everywhere in the world of martial arts and because USSD is one of the larger schools, we have more than our share. If you truly want to know what it is all about find a good school with a good instructor and talk to them.

3. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Actually, shaolin martial art is not the origin of most modern or classical martial arts. Certainly, shaolin was very late in the evolution of martial arts in general and was very minor in korean martial art. It sounds interesting to say martial arts originated at shaolin, but this is far from the truth. Additionally, DaMo (Bodhidarma, Daruma, Bodhitara etc whose family name was Sardili/Chadili) brought or created internal training methods for the monks at shaolin as well as transmitted buddhism...he did not bring or create martial art (fighting skills) at all.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  4. greaseball

greaseball New Member

you are partially correct and I think I put it in too general of terms, strictly to answer the question. That is what is taught at USSD but I didn't want to get into a long speach, just to make the point that USSD is not as bad or arrogant (at least my dojo) as people make it sound.