Does anyone still take Frank Dux seriously?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jocky Balboa, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa Valued Member

Regardless of whether Sykes has sold-out or not, deriding his readers is NOT the way to go, in a time when the internet is taking over from published magazines.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Thanks!And fight records are the sort of info that can be easily verified outside Wiki.So I'd take that at face value.

Don't buy everything in Wiki,tho'.The last time I read the Shaolin Temple section a lot of it was the usual fiction. Thanks again.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

One of the problems for Dux is that he has changed his responses to the same questions over time. Often times he says its 'for security reasons', for gods sake just tell the truth and be honest. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs to treat the art seriously.

4. Jocky Balboa

Agreed. He's backed himself into so many corners over the years, it's unreal. The most striking thing about his responses is the way in which he resorts to ad hominem attacks on them (i.e. challenging the person and their credibility as a human being, as opposed to actually attacking their evidence). He uses diversion as his main tactic. For people like MAI Editor sadly, it seems to be working. Whatever sells newspapers, as they say...

5. Jocky Balboa

I expected better of Bob Sykes, to be honest. Yet while he says Dux is the real deal just because of the movie, he does nothing to address the wild claims is makes in the Epilogue about Dux's multiple "World records".

More to the point, Dux attributes this lack of verification (in Part 1 of the MAI interview) to the fact that "most of the witnesses don't speak English as a first language." Now, consider this - the "World records" are given in the world's only universal language - Mathematics! Therefore, the purported language barriers are no obstacle to stating (or even simply writing down) a few integer numbers.

He also claims the video evidence was stolen when the journalist made off with his and Dux's tape recorders in mid-interview. So, to buy this, you have to believe that a man with little or no MA training was able to outrun the great Frank Dux , while carrying these 2 huge objects (think 1980's tape recorders and you'll get the picture!!!).

His brass neck seems to get thicker and thicker with every passing year...

6. Jocky Balboa

He also claims the infamous "Kumite" was in Jamaica. He repeated this claim in MAI, yet it has already been established that although Dux was in the US Armed Forces, he did not have a passport at the time. Only, he now tries to get around that anomaly by stating that the CIA inserted him into the tournament as their agent, in order to act as their man on the inside.

(doesn't that sound a little "Enter the Dragon" to you?)

Yet what he also states in this interview is that he knows very few names of the alleged 200+ consecutive opponents he knocked out, as they "all used handles, in case the cops broke down the doors and busted the gambling spectators."

Go figure...

7. Jocky Balboa

I discussed the MAI articles with someone the other day and he came up with another anomaly in this whole saga. Make of this what you will...

The organizers were deathly afraid the police would break down the doors because there was gambling going on, yet according to Dux, the organizers brought in cameras to film him from various angles, so they could later establish that he was moving at world record speed.

They must have had multiple equipment trucks to cart their equipment around in. Sounds really covert. :rolleyes:

So, how did they manage to "covertly" infiltrate a relatively small part of the world like Jamaica, with around 60 competitors (and their hangers-on) and all that equipment? Surely to God someone among the locals would have not only caught wind of the event, but have mentioned it in passing, either during or since?

8. Shawn (Xiao en)

Shawn (Xiao en) Valued Member

Bloodsport was a good movie. The context of if though was hogwash. Frank Dux, claims to have all these accolades is secret martial arts bouts to the death, but where is his proof? A trophy, a sword, or a certificate? There's nothing. But MA today are filled with frauds making false advertisements to promote themselves and for you to buy what they're selling.

For example, there once was a fighter named Liu Kang who participated in the Mortal Kombat tournament against evil space aliens from another dimension known as Outworld, to protect Earth. His greatest foe was Shang Tsung, who mastered the Japanese art of Sushi-sashimi, which is roughly translated to mean 'soul-stealing'.
    Liu Kang killed Shang Tsung in the tournament by snatching out his heart, and Tsung was crushed to death by a video arcade game that fell out of the sky. Liu Kang then turned into a magical dragon and ate the other combatants. Earth was saved, Liu Kang was a hero, and Robin Shou played him in the movie called Mortal Kombat: A true story.

Do you believe that?

9. Jocky Balboa

It's certainly no less believable than Dux's stories, whatever the editor of MAI insists. :)

10. HongKongFooey

HongKongFooey Valued Member

LOL, hopefully he told you to stay away from truck stops.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

only frank dux believes in frank dux.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Frank Dux claimed that Director of the CIA William Casey approached him to become a covert agent. Interestingly enough, Dux stated this claim after Casey died from brain cancer in 1987. Dux counters criticisms to his claims by quoting unverifiable sources.

Dux is a lard ass. Any genuine martial arts "master", or special forces operative, usually remains in great shape regardless of how old they are. My grandad, who is in his late 60s, was a Para for 20 years and can probably still outrun me. John 'Lofty' Wiseman was in the SAS for 26 years and is still in very good condition despite his aged appearance. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace is 63 years old and can still do the splits and kick people in the head. The very round physique of Mr. Dux, who claims to have been both one of the world's greatest martial artists AND a specops agent, is an indicator that he is full of BS.

If his techniques were "t3h d3adly" surely Dux Ryu would be the world's deadliest martial art? Surely the world's top fighters would have sought out Mr. Dux so they could use his techniques to win, and make bucketloads of cash? There's no doubt Mr. Dux is fame hungry, so why didn't he accept the requests of top fighters? Oh, wait... because there were no requests. He's full of BS, and so is his made-up style.

He claims to have learnt Koga Yamabushi Ninjutsu by a Senzo "Tiger" Tanaka. Er... googled the name of his teacher but couldn't find anything (apart from links to Bloodsport reviews and more articles of Dux). More BS, y'think?

Dux is a total fraud.

As for Bob Sykes... a McDojo lover if ever I met one. I was introduced to him when I attended a Steve Benitez pencak silat seminar, and he (Sykes) seemed like a total slimeball. He threw about thirty different sales pitches to get our club set up under his system, and would never settle on a price. And just look at the covers of MAI in recent months. It seems he gets whoever is "in" right now, regardless of their ability, rather than talented martial artists like MAI used to feature in the past. And to defend someone like Dux? Only degrading yourself there, Bob. And don't get me started on bloody Benitez, that idiot tried to steal my Indonesian wife.

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Dux is actually Steven Seagal's new identy given to him by the CIA. Their techniques are JUST TOO DEADLY you only need to look at the amout of ki they carry (disguised as fat stomachs).

regards koyo

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

He reminds me of George Dillman et. al. in a way.

Fat, insane and claims to be able to cultivate "chi" or "ki" in a way that is straight out of a Naruto manga.

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

actually, seagal, acting on the directive of BOTH the CIA and Area 51, killed dux sometime back. he skinned him and now wears the skin when he needs to "hide". notice that you never see them together.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kinda like Michael and Janet Jackson.

17. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

wasn't Van Damme a ballet dancer or some form of dancer before he did martial arts, think I heard it somewhere?
    I still giggle at VD punching that snake...that was very silly.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes. He studied ballet for 5 years.

19. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

he he he sorry, that was childish of me. Well at least he was very stretchy for his martial art!

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

What gets me is that Van Damme was still balley dancing when doing martial arts and Segal trained in ki aikido and simply beat up all those tiny little men pretending it was aikido.
    Bill Wallace appeared as a baddy in a few early martial arts movies I think it was Chuck Norris that eased the way in for him. What potetial as a star lost to posers.He tended to make the goody look bad by comparison.

regards koyo