Does Aikido encompas much ground work

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Geordie Boy, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

I have a good idea of the standing aspects of aikido, however does the it or maybe your class practice ground work.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Not in the sense of BJJ or Judo, no it doesn't.

That's not to say Aikido technique cannot be applied on the ground but it is quite different to "grappling" or "fighting"

Personally I don't refer to Aikido (on one's knees) as ground work as it can create the wrong impression, ususally based on what people may have seen, heard or read before especially with systems like BJJ and Judo.

Regards

3. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks yeah i was refering to the judo style grappling. I didn't think there was much. Its still an art im very interested in trying. I like all the locks etc. Also , alot of the moves follow from 'accepting'the persons hands etc but am i right in thinking that the locks can be applied in various ways, and unlike many judo moves do not require the gi as a grip.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'd say you're thinking along the right lines Geordie. None of the locks or immobalisations I have used in Aikido have ever required useing the gi as a grip.

5. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

Regarding the groundwork in aikido. You can add judo and gracie type stuff in to aikido with out too much effort, it just requires a training partner willing to go through the frustration of it with you.

6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

If I can add my views -

All Aiki moves are done from a vertical position, whether standing or kneeling. One of the main things about (proper) groundwork is the ability to lie on your back/front/side etc and use unusual angles of attack and defence.

As to the gi grip...it would make it more difficult for Aikido people to apply their techniques, but on the other hand (sorry about the pun) being able to use a cloth grip would also improve ability. imo

In aikido classes you very commonly see people unable to get a proper grip because of the sweaty hands/wrists/forearms. Many instructors in fact blame their uke for this which is a bit scandalous. A nice sleeve grip would do much better :)

And why can't they get a proper grip? Coz they all roll their bloody sleeves up! This makes the sweat run freely down the arm instead of being soaked up in the gi sleeves, making good gripping extremely difficult.

Sorry...bit of a rant there..and a digression. Carry on.

7. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

thanks for the info.

So are neck locks/chokes taught? What other aspects are taught?
    Wrist, arm, figure four? , neck chokes etc?

How do you find you adapt to the weapon methods .Do you find its an applicable method -though i would always run from a knife screaming like a little girl :D
    Sorry im harping on. If there is a decent website - listing the main areas of techniques learnt, it would be easier.

Thanks for your help.

8. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Figure four is a throw to the back corner usually (aikido people like throwing with arm-locks of any kind). There are some neck-lock applications...but what good is a neck lock in real life?

Chokes are jokes.

Weapons are where you learn the different spacial awareness used in Aikido.

9. Dave Humm

Figure four ??

10. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Ude-garami mate :)

Where you been anyway?

11. aikinoob

Dexter, I really hope you are joking with this post.

edit: i see in fact you are joking, carry on.

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Which bit, Noob?

13. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Ive got a submission fighter training at our club now for over 3years, he wighs about 17 stone of pure muscle,he really helps you understand weakness in you tech, hes taken me to the ground a good few times if i leave an opening, but as for me actually fighthing on the ground, ive got so much to learn.
    Just like how karateka and judoka really help you perfect you angles and principles so much that you hopefully wont end up on yer back.

14. Dave Humm

Training :) and upsetting the BAB :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  15. aikinoob

referring to chokes as jokes and downplaying the effectiveness of "neck-locks" is a good way to get put to sleep.

16. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Just a little extra bit of trivia, gi grabbing is illegal in aikido randori shiai. Otherwise we would be entering the realms of judo.

Most techniques should be applicable from either a grab to the body or the gi, or from a strike.

True, a sweaty uke is no excuse, but if they lose their grip, the logical thing to do is to simple change technique. :eek:

17. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

A quick note from my experience... Aikido techniques if they are truely effective almost always bring the fight to the ground... but do so in such a way that at the time the fight hits the ground your opponent is not exactly in a position to fight back. He is, or should be left in a position of complete incapacitation. In that sense ground work is almost a waste.

Now realisiticly we all know it rarely works this way, espically against experienced opponents. But other then the act of pinning to the ground I hope this explains a little the mentality behind there not being groundwork in Aikido.

Or atleast my understanding of it :) you never know I could be way off....

18. bambeer

bambeer Whatareyoudoingrightnow

One way to suplement your newaza study in conjunction to aikido is to look at the goshin no to syllabus of the daitoryu. It looks at newaza after the throw and flows naturally with aikido.

cheers,

bambeer

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

All lies Dave! You were off drooling over KC again, I saw it. Now I'm traumatised for life. :eek: :( :cry:

About the sleeves thing. They just get in the way when doing weapons work. And then you just look very silly. :(

20. master35

master35 New Member

maybe sir the good question would be: if you unintensionally fall down what aikido technique should you use? ;)
    and yes in our gym our sensie teaches us how to stand up. and if grappled a good atemi comes to mind. ;)