Doce Pares Eskrima.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by 40k, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 40k

40k New Member

Just seen this add for Doce Pares Eskrima in Sunderland. Is this guy legit?, with the web-site it just looks like eskrima is an after thought.
    I want to learn Eskrima but not if it is just made up. Anyone shed any light?.
    I am new to all this so I appreciate any info. From anyone who know.

http://gorihochishinkenseikaidojo.webs.com/

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't have any special insight, but I'd agree with you that it looks suspect. He's already professing to teach four Japanese styles. My suspicion (and it is only that) is that he's done a seminar or two and thought it looked good in the marketing. Nothing in the pictures on FMA either.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

He's not on this list anywhere.

I'll send him an e-mail when I get home tonight asking who he trains under.

Haha, look at the name under the picture "Brain" Ford.

It helps if you can get your name right.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. Simon

I've sent Brian a polite e-mail asking about his affiliation.

I'll let you know if I receive a reply.

5. 40k

40k New Member

Thank you for your help and assistance, I appreciate it.
    I would like to learn this art from a reputable instructor. To train with him I would need to travel some distance and if I am to do so I would like it to be worthwhile.
    As I said I am a beginner and value the expertise of you guys 'in the know'.

Regards

6. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I remember reading somewhere not too long ago about someone in Sunderland teaching eskrima but I'm not sure it was doce pares, there is a doce pares club in Chester-le-Street and then there's the Guba Doce Pares class run at Moi Fa in Walkergate (see link in signature).

7. EmptyHandGuy

Could I ask where you would be traveling from?

8. Simon

I've trained a little with Bill at the odd seminar and he seemed like a decent guy and he is, or certainly was, certified under GM Danny Guba.

The Moi Fa guys have a good rep and I'd certainly try them out if not to far away.

9. 40k

40k New Member

Hi
    I am not limiting myself to just doce pares. Any eskrima is good. I just stumbled across this add and thought it looked a bit iffy, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew anything about the club.
    I would be travelling from Sacriston in Durham area.

Cheers
    Kev

10. Simon

If you're in Durham then there is this school.

I don't know this guy, but he's certified under Krishna Godhania, so you should be in safe hands.

11. EmptyHandGuy

Bill's Class is just up the road to you then if your in Sacristion, depending on transport you could take a look at both classes and pick the one you like!

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

If you can travel up to Newcastle, then the Kali classes at Team Phoenix is excellent - http://www.teamphoenixmartialarts.com/

Hmm, claiming to teach Sayoc too? Brian Ford doesn't appear on this list either... Suspicious.

13. EmptyHandGuy

To be fair it doesn't say on the website what art's Brian Ford teaches himself. Going from the pictures it would seem he does teach some Japanese arts but there could be other instructors who teach the other arts mentioned. Until he replies to Simon's email we won't really know and are just speculating.

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mm, maybe so, but there's still no one on the Sayoc list in the North East... Maybe the list needs a little updating. Benefit of the doubt given, pending Simon's email :)

15. Simon

I've had a reply.

He only trains on his own in kali arnis and sayoc kali knife.
    He teaches some friends in their dojos around the country.

He also has said that he can pass on an e-mail address if you just want to learn eskrima.

So although the website may be slightly misleading, Brian gave a very honest and polite answer.

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

So he learns on his own kali arnis and sayoc knife and he TEACHES IT TO OTHER PEOPLE? WTH?!?!

17. 40k

40k New Member

Thank you for all the help and emails guys. I think I will look up the two Durham clubs.

Regards
    K.

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Ok let me start by a small introduction. I'm sure Bill Lowrey will remember this.

When I opened my club 'the university of combat arts' in Ossett, Yorkshire in 1999 a 10,000 square foot club I done it in partnership with the said Brian Ford a JMA instructor because I wanted to give the students access to as many arts as possible. 16 to be precise. A bit of advise from my experience. Never go into partnership with someone when opening a full time club you just never know just how dishonest they will become but that's another story and not relevant.

Well back to topic. The first major event I had there was a seminar with SGM Diony Canete ( Bill was there ) Brian took part and he did a bit of training with me for about 4 hours total. He could just not get over the fact that my wife a woman could know so much about weapons. And that's where his knowledge of Doce Pares stops.

A few years later he was attending a multi style seminar in Kent proclaiming to be Europes leading Eskrima Master. What he didn't know was I was invited to teach too. As he walked down the stairs to the hall to teach with a bunch of sticks in his hand I walked through the door. He did a U turn and walked back up. This was a well attended seminar but for two days he kept in the corner of the large hall and taught a very small handful of students some Sai or Tonfa or something like that as I taught the larger group a few sessions of FMA over the weekend.

I won't go into too much detail suffice to say. Absolutely and categorically load of tosh. FMA regardless of style and certainly not Doce Pares.

I think you get the picture.

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

And yes before you ask. When it comes to FMA in the UK there are not too many people I don't know personally.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you know his Iaido and Jujutsu background?

I couldn't see much on the website.