Do you think Shadow Boxing/Sparring in the air Helps for real life self defense/fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by shaolinmonkmark, Aug 24, 2005.

1. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Ok, recently, i was in a heated argument, with a fellow kungfu practicioner,of another style,choy li fut, and he claims that no, you need to just practice the material over and over again, and you do not have to shadow box/sparr in the air at all.Personally, i have asked around and true to the nature, everyone i have talked to, including masters,say it is a bonus to your fighting and self defense capability when you shadow box/spar 2 to 3 hours a week.
    I have also personally been noticing techniques and footwork i never new i was capable of doing since i have been shadow sparring 2 to 3 hours a week.
    Please, anyone, i am open for facts and opinions of all, and no, i like all martial arts,i do not descriminate at all!

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved from Intros to GD.

3. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I think that shadow sparring is a very good exercise. But, if you can, training with another person 2-3 hours a week is better than that.

4. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I think that shadow boxing gets you in good shape and helps you to practice combinations well. I believe that people new to martial arts tend to only throw one technique, wait, throw one technique, wait, repeat. Shadow boxing tends to help you get over that.

Personally, I think you should practice shadow sparring regularly if you are in a striking MA. Just don't do it instead of really sparring. You need both.

5. sean

sean THOR!

I definatley think its needed, especially for co ordination on moves, keeping them dynamic ect.

6. TyrX

TyrX Unregistered Non-User

Of course shadow boxing is important. Do it in front of a mirror, you can see how you move, and feel how your movement feels. It's more of a supplement to training.

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Well you've said yourself that it's improved techniques and footwork, so I guess the answer has to be yes for you. I don't know much about your friends style, but it's possible he spends time practicing forms for his MA. If he does you could point out to him that shadow boxing is your equivalent.

8. Handsup

Handsup New Member

Boxers wouldnt shadow box if there was nothing to gain from it.

when i used to do boxing, shadow boxing was a MAJOR part in my routine.

I found over time it increased my speed, co ordination, combiniation, footwork , stamina, agility, overtime, ......those moves i used to practise doing shadow boxing became second nature....in the ring....it was like my arms knew to move before i could think....

which is not good in REAL LIFE/social situations but ...haha ..

till lata

9. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

I feel that it is very important for learning and refining techniques, especially combinations.

10. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

That is an excellent point about forms.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Just a sec, I need to fetch my flame thrower.

12. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

Shadowboxing helps me to get the most out of my forms.

I do it when I have no punching bag or partner. Mainly when im at home.

So in the end, when I shadowbox, I practice my material over and over like your friend says.

It also helps me to keep a progress check.

For example, id shadowbox segments from my form. Then id shadowbox segments from another form. Then shadowbox using segments from both forms. It helps me have a feel for the movement in a live manner.

So when i finish learning a form, i can pratically say Im able to use step 1-8 with no problem because of shadowboxing and (obviously) sparring but havent mastered the rest of the form (eventhough i know it). And helps me keep an idea of how much there is left to gain from my form and other forms.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  13. mrsumo

mrsumo Invictus Maneo

Shadow boxing is an excellent training aide. Besides helping with your form, it allows you to visualize the skills you are practicing.

14. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

What are the major differences between practicing combinations by shadow boxing and by using the heavy bag ?.

15. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I would have said its ok 2-3 hours a week is perhaps a bit over the top. I would recomend this if you have no partner to spar with or if you have no bag to hit then hitting shadowboxing is fine.

2-3 hours a week is more than is needed as it just allows you to up your fluidity and sparring does this best as you need to cover up and defend at times.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No of course not.

Shadow boxing is complete rubbish.

Boxers spend a huge amount time shadow boxing not because it helps them work on flow, footwork, visualization and looseness but rather because boxers cannot iron their boxing shorts as their hands are wrapped and they're wearing boxing gloves... so they skip the hot iron and just shadow box as all the jumping around and the sweat will help to get the wrinkles out of their shorts. :D

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

......which it then becomes pointless as the sweat and heat may make it unwrinkled but really smelling of B.O. Not a good smell..so they have to wash it again. But still no iron! So the cycle continues....

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Thats a great method. I'm going to give that a try sometime.
    Seriously, that sounds like an awesome way to train forms.