Do you sweat with good FMA?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Falcord, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

Hey there.

As you may have read somewhere else I'm considering signing up for FMA lessons at a place I really liked when I tried it out. I could choose between Warriors Escrima, Sayok and Balintawak.

I loved the practice session, and my only complaint is that it didn't feel like we moved that much. I would've liked a bit more sweat, so i'm also getting some conditioning.

Obviously I'm not expecting a workout such as what you get during BJJ but I was wondering: How conditioning-heavy are normal FMA classes? I guess it will get harder when sparring is involved, right?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You certainly can sweat with FMA. But I've also been in classes that felt like we were dwelling on the technical intricacies and not moving enough. My first school, though... I went to my part-time job after class each day. And people used to ask me if it was raining as I walked in.

Kind of gross, in retrospect. But I was 17. And dumb.

It's really a matter of training methodology. How intense are the drills? How much time is spent watching the guro explain or demonstrate? Are you sparring? Running footwork drills? Etc.

Check out a couple more sessions and check out the other FMA schools. See which are more arduous.

3. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

What ap said. It really depends on the teacher's style. Back when I was teaching regularly, I was quite deliberate about making sure my students got a thorough workout & some solid conditioning. Sometimes you have to get more technical, because people generally need to know how to do something correctly before they can do it hard & fast, but there should be room for both technique and sweat.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You'll sweat when the live blades come out...believe me! ;)

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

6. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Once you learn the drill/technique you can increase intensity and drill as one step sparring etc and you should start sweating!

Paul
    Guba Doce Pares North East
    www.moifa.co.uk

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Wait till you do some armored sparring, then you'll sweat!!

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Train in the Philippines you'll sweat just walking to the gym ;)

But honestly if your doing it right you'll sweat.

9. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr New Member

With my balintawak instructors, they make it a point to give the new guys a breather after 90-120 seconds of any form of continuous drilling or agak (whether basic strikes only or groupings). So it would seem like not much movement.

For us longstanding students, it's a whole different ballgame.