Do you punch like bruce Lee

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by karl52, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm basically saying that the whole fight science thing is interesting, but if one guy who is about 80 lbs lighter can punch with almost the same force, either something is wrong with the equipment or Bas doesn't punch harder than a heavyweight which some have claimed (not on here, but I've seen some say it). I agree that things would need to be averaged and such... I'm just saying that numbers can't always be trusted.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, without knowing the details of how the studies were carried out, what equipment was used etc etc then you can't take the numbers at face value, but I'm not sure anyone is suggesting you should.

What Karl could do if he wanted to test his theory is find a good pro boxer, have the power of their punches measured, then teach them his magic punch and have them measured throwing those punches. If his techniques are genuinely better then there will be a statistically significant difference in the two sets of measurements.

But why bother with all that when you can say whatever you want in a youtube video instead.

3. Saved_in_Blood

lol yeah agreed

4. Saved_in_Blood

On the topic... I don't punch like Bruce Lee... I punch like me.

5. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Of course I punch like Bruce Lee and I've got the moves like Jagger. Anyway, after watching some of Karl's videos, I figured out a way that can help him and his students punch harder, at least another 30% on top of their 40%(chance of rain was it?). In the video showing Andy pushing the pad, he didn't have a good kinetic chain due to his elbow being out. Keeping the elbow down will add the extra power needed to go mano a mano with all the tough bags and pads out there. I'm willing to travel to demonstrate this if necessary.

6. karl52

karl52 openminded

the other clips of the one inch punch there not punching like bruce in the original clip I put up,this guy is on the makiwara,but alot of the time people use what I call "party tricks " to make something like more dramatic lets look at tihs clip

Now im not saying theres anything wrong its a good wack,while it is unsupported,using the outside of the knuckle

it does demonstrate some classic dos of a good party demonstration

1 get your student to stand in an up straighter more off balance position no stance(falls back further)
    2 hit your student right down the centre line(falls back further)
    3 hit your student in the solar plexus(reacts more,falls back further)
    4 use a phone book(hurts alot more than a pad,knocks you back more)
    5 use a student whos not used to it or never been hit(more dramatic)
    6 camera angled so you cant see that the pull back is more than 1 inch Ill sugest maybe 5 or 6 inches
    7 keep talking to the student and hit him when hes not expecting it(more dramatic)
    8 tells him not to tense,doesnt tell him to breath right when receiving the punch(hurts much more,more dramatic)
    the only thing missing was number 9 a chair behind with a broken leg so the fall is more dramatic

for those questioning my knowledge of a boxing punch I do have a quote from Bradley Scott UFC fighter. after he watched my Kinetic punching DVD,Here hes talking about the Classic Boxing punches I demonstrate alongside the Kinetic punches,at the end hes talking about putting a ripping shockwave on the end his straight, nice to know other people are teaching it

was well chuffed:cool:

Sorry I havent got time to anwser everybody but I do have a life,and im only interested in helping people improve there techniques

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  7. karl52

karl52 openminded

is it new rules about no videos? im not trying to advertise, just explain in detail with a videos for free after all a picture paints a thousand words,its impossible to explain or understand something in detail like that from words alone.if your a disscusion forum about martial arts then that involves the physical part,and disscusing new or different styles.not interested in keyboard warriors

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Saved_in_Blood

Karl, I have to tell you, there are guys on here with 20, 30+ years of experience... I don't think you are going to "teach" any of them here what they haven't already seen or don't know about. Not everyone on here has Bruce Lee as the guy they want to be like... not knocking on him, just doesn't interest some.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Karl, I'm open minded. Not simple minded. Your videos are promos for the DVDs that you produce and advertise on the blog link in your signature line. And your commentary to Hannibal regarding his teacher's video on the 1" punch has become your latest blog post. So let's not pretend that you aren't interested in generating traffic and content for your blog. Alright?

10. Saved_in_Blood

Also, I don't know about all of those here, but many of us are not just "keyboard warriors", I do not have actual fights, and right now have injuries that are keeping me from training, however I take private lessons twice a week and getting my butt handed to me most of those days. I'm getting hit and most here are as well. Show some respect or you won't make many friends here.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Well it is nice that you haven't let your complete ignorance of what the 1" punch demo actually is stand in the way of having an opinion on it - bravo sir! Most people would shy away from displaying such a lack of knowledge in such polemic terms, so it is indeed refreshing to find someone willing to stand up and be counted as being utterly wrong

Well done!

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Didn't Bruce Lee punch with attacking, drawing and countering strategies? Footwork, timing, reading his opponents?

I don't get the obsession with power, when without any of the above your knuckles will never get to impart that extra 40% power on anyone... unless they're helpfully holding a pad for you.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

All the power in the world doesn't mean beans if you can't land it - and I have seen nothing to suggest that there is any delivery system in place beyond "whack it"

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That's exactly what Trunks did in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber in Dragon Ball Z - Cell Saga. He transcended Super Saiyan to Super Saiyan Level 2, but he focused on increasing his power so much that his body got massive and ended up being too slow in all the other necessary components of fighting. Dude couldn't even land a hit on Cell.

Know what I'm saiyan? :cool:

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Is this still going on?

Karl, what you are on about, beyond your inexcusable lack of understanding about boxing techniques and strategy, isn't really that big of a mystery. Go to any good school that teaches striking and you will find the concept of the kinetic chain being taught there even if it isn't called that and the mechanics may vary slightly based on the rules of their sport.

What you are peddling is neither earth shattering nor particularly interesting.

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That was a blog?! I thought that was a Cosmos Fan Page! :p

17. Saved_in_Blood

This... not to mention the fact that the punches in boxing may have evolved slightly, but the body mechanics obviously are what matter the most. A punch of course is really not much good if the correct footwork doesn't compliment it. Bruce Lee had his own style, but part of his style did use techniques that were/are used in boxing.

You all keep punching though... I will be out shin kicking people. Thank you.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you can't see how the two are related, then that brings up some serious questions onto what you are claiming to teach here Karl.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've a feeling this sales pitch has backfired.

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I could be wrong; :rolleyes::thinking::dunno:

I thought a "Bruce Lee Punch" was proceeded or followed by a "cat-like yell"

Then after that, the "self-cracking of the knuckles"

:hat::fight1:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014