Do you like the pre-modern bladed stuff or the post modern-per the "fantasy"?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by 47MartialMan, Apr 28, 2012.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This was a question presented to Hannibal.

Hannibal, do you like the pre-modern bladed stuff or the post modern-per the "fantasy"?

That said, hopefully we can talk "sharp", er "shop"

I am still learning about metallurgical science.

The process of using metal for cutting tools and weapons like knives and swords had changed.

What are these different types of metals through out time that many people overlook or those who care to discuss?

Per example; Damascus steel

Who, among the post modern era, still craft quality?
    Per example; J. Arthur Loose, Jake Powning, Dave Stephens, Walter Sorells, Don Fogg, etc.

And where, have you seen the largest collection of blades assemble under one roof?
    For example; the closest place I have ever visited to display(old) / or sell was the Smokey Mountain Knife Works

Do you like the pre-modern bladed stuff or the post modern-per the "fantasy"?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Can we have video examples?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fantasy style (this is a Kit Rae blade, perhaps the most conspicuous maker)

[​IMG]

Pre-Modern style ("Nessmuk" blade by Dean Hazuka - I own a knife of this exact style - a thing of beauty)

[​IMG]

Pre-Modern Combat knife (karambit actually!)

[​IMG]

Modern knife, Hannibal likey - Tom Brown T-1

[​IMG]

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oh, right. I like both, I don't plan on using either though ^^

5. Hannibal

The more "flash" on a knife, the less I usually like it

6. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Yep, I'm a fan of cleaner, simpler lines. I like weaponry because it's an example of good design, form follows function and everything leads to a particular purpose, the more frippery there is the more skeptical I'm likely to be about it's functionality.

I'm not sure where this opinion comes from, as I've no great desire to get into a knife fight, but I appreciate good design in all fields, and I suppose what with being a bit of a geek and the whole martial arts malarkey the weaponry just combines it all in one neat bundle :)

Edit: Re: the OP, damascus steel can refer to two different things, in a modern context it usually refers to pattern-welded blades, where steels of slightly different natures are folder together, which doesn't, to my knowledge, offer any huge structural advantage. It does make really pretty patterns though (I'm okay with this, 'cos though it's a bit of frippery it doesn't have a negative effect on functionality, so that's all good). Folding steel in general no longer has the same impact on blade quality as it would have done hundreds of years ago, as it's primary function is to remove impurities in the steel which would have created weak points, and more evenly distribute the carbon and trace metals throughout. As steel now is of much higher quality this has much less impact, even though it's often held as the pinnacle of bladesmithing.

Damascus steel can also be used to refer to blades forged in the middle east from wootz steel throughout the medieval period, we know they had a reputation for strength and were considered very effective, but we no longer know the exact methodology of their creation (although I was reading an interesting piece of research attempting to reverse engineer it based on analysis of sliver of a surviving blade, apparently the key thing is the impurities, the authors sounded very eager but quite a bit of it went over my head).

That's a little info, hopefully someone can either correct my more glaring errors or add to my overview :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Man that "Nessmuk" is a beautiful blade. Personally I'll usually go for the pre-modern stuff. Most of the modern stuff gets ultra cheese factor. Tactical blab most of it. Or they run the whole fantasy route that looks great for a fantasy novel but borders on ridiculous in real life. So yeah pre-modern for me. :)

that being said... there are some custom knife makers out there that produce stunning pieces of work. Just mind blowing beautiful... but I prefer anything with a bit of wabi-sabi... versus tactical hokum.

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

My choice of modern blades.. One of my own design

Attached Files:

9. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

My Sunday go to church and social event partner who has a cutting wit about them

Attached Files:

10. Hannibal

Bro you should handle it! It sits beautifully in the hand, and although it is a backwoods knife it lends itself readily to combat application. Dean is a great knifemaker (and is actually working on a design of mine at the moment for a "fighter".

www.montanamericana.com

11. Hannibal

Nice blades! what steel and handle material?

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I like both pre and post modern stuff. The fantasy stuff appeals to my inner scifi/fantasy geek - I read loads of fantasy novels and loved watching fantasy films and tv shows when I was younger and I just like the imagery that the fancy designs create. I have some of the Lord of the Rings weapons and I just love them.

The practical, pre-modern stuff appeals to my inner scientist - the part of me that loves things that are technically ideal for the purpose they are designed for.

13. Hannibal

Actually I do own a Bat'leth and would mark out on a decently crafted mek'leth

14. Frodocious

I would kill for a Bat'leth! :yeleyes: :D

15. Hannibal

They are actually quite easy to handle!

16. Frodocious

They look like fun to play with!

I have one on my 'Wants' list.

17. Oddsbodskins

It always looked as if it would have quite limited range relative to it's size and weight to me, how does that work out in practice?

18. Hannibal

I find I can transition between long and short range quite quickly with some grip shifts, but mine is also damn heavy so not a weapon for protracted encounters!

The three handles make it quite quick on the slash and it is a good striking tool close in. The DS9 "Way of the Warrior" episode actually shows some good usage of it

19. Oddsbodskins

Intriguing, possibly more practical then I'd believed then.

20. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Hannibal,
    If your question was directed toward my postings, here are the specs on the blades..

The first one is made out of 01 steel with G10 handle slabs. Blade was gunkoted black due to the humidity and salt in the air around here.. 7 inch blade.

The white handled one is made out of D2 steel which was cryogenically tempered. 7.25 inch blade with white linen micarta slabs and red inlays between the slabs and tang..

Hope this answers your questions