Do you have a progressive mind set?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MCM_WingChun, May 6, 2021.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

These pics really sum up my last point. That left arm that's "switched off", why not just put it right through the other guys right rib cage. That's such a gimme I don't think I would personally try anything else. And it's 100% open and unguarded. And you'd know this without even looking down because (duh) both his hands are busy not defending.

I've noticed this about some kung fu videos, they're always so focused on what their forearms are doing, they are leaving huge holes in their defense. That guy on the left is begging for a busted floating rib, in that position and context.

2. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Of course to have an open discussion...I answer anyone who asks a question in a polite and reasonable manner...Not acting in a troll like.manner..

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here is my question. Why did your opponent allow your left free hand to be able to reach him?

When Your opponent right arm pushes your right arm up. Should he enters your

1. front door (between your arms) - Your left arm can punch him (as in your video)?
    2. side door (outside of your right arm) - Your left arm has been jammed by your own right arm?

IMO, anybody with common sense won't act as your opponent does.

axelb likes this.
  4. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

5. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Your.looking at it as an application what the demo is about is redirecting force using your body not really an application. There are other things I could have done but that was not my intention my intentions is developing something else.. nit just punching and kicking..

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, even in training, you (general YOU) should watch out your opponent's free hand.

Your argument just remind me that one day I taught "waist wrap hip throw" to someone (as in the following clip). He asked me, "What if I use my left hand to punch on your face?"

Did that person have a legitimate question?

In the following clip, the red's left hand can punch on his opponent's head.

7. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Yes I know and agree my partner has a free as well as I do.. but this is a Demo not a fight
    If I was doing say chibsao with him of course I would be careful of his other hand..

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It isn't showing redirection of force or momentum.
    All that is observed is your inactive hand touching a compliant partner to move their arm into a structure that is unrealistic against an uncompliant partner, all whilst your structure is clearly compromised.

You can talk about using your force, but it's is inefficient force from a broken structure. This only works when you have other attributes as an advantage over the partner (height, strength, weight, speed, stamina), and they do not have the experience to take advantage of the broken structure in the drill.

They only time this will work is in a compliant demonstration, which is a flawed method for displaying effective skills.

I am yet to see your discuss, or take any criticism into account with anything other than denial. This is not a constructive method for progress.

Dunc likes this.
  9. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

I am redirecting the forse that is going into my right shoulder..Am rotating my should to guide his eneergy away from my body..You dont see that...? that was the whole idea of the video.

10. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

I could say Tan Sao is a shield to protect the centerline..

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Except you are only rotating your arm at the shoulder, there is no connection to the spine and hips that you would need to break the momentum of flow of your partner's movement as you are showing.

The lack of resistance in this demonstration is leading to results that would simply not happen if there were any realistic intent, let alone force, in your partner's actions.

There is no need to argue in text about this. If you wish to produce videos to demonstrate technical principles then it is obvious by everyone's reaction that this is not a successful demonstration. Just make another one that illustrates your point in a more convincing manner.

axelb likes this.
  12. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

@MCM_WingChun
    One characteristic of this forum is that there are many experienced martial artists from different backgrounds actively engaging and posting
    Here you’ll get quality and objective feedback from folk who have no interest in promoting their methods over others or putting folk down - all the trolls left years ago
    So personally I think it’s a great testing ground for concepts, videos etc - if it passes the MAP test then it’s probably quite good

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

1. Your opponent uses left arm to push up your right arm, and uses right arm to press down your left arm (separate hands).

2. He then use his right arm to take over his left hand control, and free his left arm (switch hands).

During step 2, if your left hand can follow his right arm (stick/follow), and push his right elbow to your right, and spin your body to your right (let your opponent's right arm to push into the thin air), you will have a perfect skill demonstration video - 來留去送 if you come, I'll keep you. if you go, I'll follow you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  14. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Posting a simple application of the Fak Sao movement that is found in the Siu Lin Tao form.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
  15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Get a training partner that is going to punch you in the face.

Start at 0:40 and watch where your training partner throws his punch.

He is aiming for the sky.

Untitled.jpg

It's not until you get this right that you'll be able to ensure you have the correct response.

A correct feed ensures a correct response.

SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  16. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

I guess I'll have to pay him more money next time...lol

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

He is your student.

I assume he pays you to teach him correctly?

18. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

He's a friend not a student..I was visiting him for a few days..I have not seen him in many years..

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Respectfully, friend or student, do you not check for things like accurate targeting when doing video's representing your teachings?

Does someone throwing a fist properly, at an actual target, whether slow or fast matter to you as an instructor?

I personally do not care if it is done slow, for demonstration purposes. (I hear that critique all the time, but often the people doing the critiquing also have slower videos for demonstration purposes. Note: This statement is not a response to Simon.) But that is all the more reason to make sure you are demonstrating defense against a punch properly thrown and actually aiming at the target.

That said, about slower videos, it does help sell the technique if done full speed AFTER the instructional/ demonstration part.

Constructive feedback for your video's: This is something that should matter in future video's. And that should perhaps replace video's like this. :)

axelb likes this.
  20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't think it's fair to say:

- Your opponent's punch is too slow.
    - His punch is still 3 inch away from your face.
    - You are not moving in combat speed.
    - You don't have enough intention to hurt your opponent.

One day when you are 90 years old, will you still be able to demonstrate your skill with combat speed?

Does Adam Hsu's (he is 80) slow speed demo has value?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    axelb likes this.