Do you have a progressive mind set?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MCM_WingChun, May 6, 2021.

1. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

n this video I show the basic ways to reinforce the 3 hands in Wing Chun which are Tan, Bong , and Fuk Sao. These structures can be week at times and I show a simple way to makes these structures stronger and more proficient by borrowing your opponents engery and using it to reinforce yours.

2. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

This a short example on how to open your opponents center and how to close your center when opened by your opponent..

3. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

With this simple idea of taking the opponents space not with hands but with your body you can dominate and better control your opponent movements.

4. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

A few more ideas on how to control opening and closing the opponents center..

5. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

A few more ideas on how to control opening and closing the opponents center..

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

At the end it seems like you are leaving yourself in a very vulnerable position with no great setup.
    The opponent can easily get underhooks and control your body.

With 2 hands on top you could clinch around the neck, but your body is too close to break the posture.

7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Interesting videos, I'm sure the WC folk here will have thoughts/opinions.

Mods: Perhaps all 4 of this chaps threads could be merged into one, as I feel there could be potential for good discussion on the material here, that could get scattered across 4 threads?

Mangosteen likes this.
  8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I like the way you start the bridge on the fore arms but flow it up to control the upper arm elbow.

:)

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Several posts on the same or similar topic have been consolidated into one thread. MCM_WingChun, contact me if you want me to change the name of the thread. :) Thanks

Dan Bian and axelb like this.
  10. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

sure, I love questions..

11. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

How can my opponent do an under hook on me when my elbow are down and close to my body?

12. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Thanks,,I flow the wrist, to the elbow then to the shoulder.

13. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

A short clip on The neck pulling hand.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When your opponent's both arms are inside of your arms, you try to use "downward separate hands - double downward parry" to push his arms down and obtain the inside control, at the same time your opponent uses "upward separate hands - double comb hair" to keep your arms outside of his arms. This will be force against force, who will have advantage at this moment? What will you do then?

Also when you use "downward separate hands", if your opponent borrow your force, spin his arms into "twin peaks to the ears". This will be "borrow force". Who will have advantage at this moment? What will you do then?

Many interested situations can happen in the WC sticky hands training. But most WC guys just don't train this. I like your clip. At least you are the first person who starts to address these kind issues.

Hope my questions can generate more interested discussion such as:

What if your opponent uses

- left downward, right upward separate hands?
    - left upward, right downward separate hands?
    - arm guide?
    - double pulling hands?

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Dan Bian likes this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

You can't stop an underhook with your elbow close to your body. Maybe if this is just part of a drill then it's ok to finish in that position; I'd like to understand the benefits of finishing close to them with my hands crowded at the inside position and they can grab under the arms around the waist to control you, which is a strong position to be in.

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

That's interesting. I am familiar with the shifting from elbow to shoulder but I associate it more with grappling styles than with wing chun. Once you are on the shoulder what do you do?

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: I have once again moved a thread of the same theme into this one. :)

Tom bayley likes this.
  18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This is a perfect example of why people shouldn't learn from videos.

19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Can you elaborate, for a layman?

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Oh where do I begin...

-No yee gee kim yeung ma, no rooting, no springing/sinking power generation from legs
    -Poor general posture → chicken neck
    -No connection of the torso to the stance with proper activation of the back muscles
    -No connection of the elbow to the core
    -The chi-sao goes side-to-side, meaning the power is going side instead of projecting forward at the opponent, which is the direction you're supposed to be going for offense, so if their structures collapse you can enter and strike/occupy space, and so that you're actually occupying center instead of moving off of center
    -Arm structures non-existent because they're collapsed back in meaning they're...
    -Working from a distance where you can already hit your opponent simply by extending your arm means you have no need to actually move in and enter their space rendering chi-sao a pointless exercise in its entirety
    -Not actually forming tan sao and bong sao, insufficient supination to form tan sao, an insufficient pronation to form bong sao
    -Doing huen sao by spinning the arm from the shoulder as though doing tai chi's waving cloud hands
    -Both of them jam themselves in a body-to-body position where they can't actually hit when they close with the neck pulling hand, and this happens because after they get the hand on the neck they step in instead of using the neck pulling hand to...pull.. and break the opponent's structure

From looking at a few of his other videos, which seems to be his hope since he's just spamming them here without comment, it really does look like he just watched some youtube videos and decided to teach because none of the core fundamental basics of wing chun are there beyond the most superfluous shapes, and certainly no good basic structures which are common to other arts are there.

Quite frankly the only value I see in these videos is that I could show them to people as an example of explicitly what not to do.

axelb, icefield and Dan Bian like this.