Do you ever make time for Mokuso?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Jayla, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Evening guys,

When I trained at a kung fu club a few years back, we would often take time out to do some meditation, maybe once every month.

I've been reading up on [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wado-Ryu-Karate-Complete-Art-Uncovered/dp/1873861044/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291496055&sr=8-2"]Frank Johnsons wado ryu book[/ame], and there is a page dedicated to Mokuso, and I'm wondering, do you ever take time out of the "harder" types of training to do more "softer" training such as meditation etc?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

We practice Mokuso every lesson.

Gary

3. likeke34

likeke34 Valued Member

^^ we do too... however it's pretty superficial when we do it lol... we really should spend more time on it (in my opinion) but it's pretty much done before/after class out of tradition, ie: "seiza, mokuso, mokuso yame, etc..."

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

We mokuso before and after every class.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We mokuso at gradings and such but don't really do it day to day.
    I'd change that as I really like it.
    My TKD class does a mokuso-ish thing at the end much more regularly (but it's actually closer to what happens at the end of most Yoga sessions).
    I like the ritual of getting in the right frame of mind for the session and also a chance to go over what has been covered at the end.

What do others "use" mokuso for?

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

We always do a minute of mokuso at the end of each class, but it's also pretty superficial and done as much for tradition as anything else.

I like the idea of that minute as a time to switch from aggressive mode to "ready to step out into the world" mode.

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Its funny you know, but I can’t help thinking that the world outside the dojo is far more aggressive!! lol.

We tend to practice at the start at end of each lesson - primarily to ready ourselves.

Here is a good essay on the subject for anyone who wants to go beyond the "superficial".

http://www.wadoryu.org.uk/mokuso.html

Gary

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm sure in the grander scheme of things, you're absolutely right. I do think though, that you often have to operate in "hair trigger" mode during a karate class; you have to be primed to throw a punch. Not a good state to be walking through the town in. :D

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I've left the dojo in that state before. And gone in to town. Always fairly lol (rest easy that I haven't hit anyone ;) )

We practice Mokuso at the end of each lesson. It's a time to relax, get the heart rate down and as has already been said, to switch off hair trigger mode

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Depends which part of which town I guess.

Also, Mokuso helps helps develop your training in terms of "Hei jo shin" and therefore being able to maintain a calm state.

Gary