do you consider this a disability?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Shantari, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

Hey guys, have you ever heard of Tinnitus? I currently have it. For those of you who dont know what it is, its the ringing in your ears. For some people,this sound gets so loud or annoying that it causes them to become stressed, anxious, and depressed. It derives millions of people of sleep. There are several methods to overcome it such as masking the noice with an external sound, such as a fan. Although it can cause stress, it is said to sometimes come into play because of it, lol complicated i know. But do you consider this a disibility? It is a life changing event, and causes many people depression and sleep deprivation, what are your thoughts.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've had this for as long as I can remember - it's particularly bad when I take out my hearing aids - at night.

A disability? I guess I've always lumped it in with my hearing problems.

3. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

I dunno, as far as disabilities go I think there are far worse ones. Annoying certainly. Can you still hear other stuff through it? If so, I'd say it's more of a severe annoyance than a disability. If not though, then I'd say you have somewhere between a minor and a major hearing problem, depending on how often it occurs and how bad it gets. Anyone know how to read lips? Maybe try meditation to bring down stress levels? Could be worse, you could be deaf.

4. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

My uncle has tinnitus, and he has a special hearing aid that emits a frequency in his ear that's supposed to cancel out the frequency of the ringing in his ears. Or something like that, I haven't seen him in about 10 years, so I don't remember the details very well.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Manganese helps reduce it.
    I used to have it. Manganese helped. For some reason I don't get it much anymore.

6. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

what's manganese?

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I had it for years, then had a car accident. Dont have it any more.

My reccomendation:

1. Get in car
    2. Accelerate to stupidly dangerous speeds
    3. Find strong looking Telegraph pole
    4. Aim for said Telegraph pole
    5. Wake up 2 hours later : Tinnitus gone!

By the way...... ^^ DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ^^

Waaaa Laaaaa! (Voila for you strange frenchies) :p

8. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

Manganese is a chemical element, it is required in the body in trace amounts, and as with many other vitamins etc too much can cause side effects.

A multi-vitamin tablet will contain manganese in small amounts (2mg)

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

It shouldn't matter what we think is considered a disability...its only a disability when you think it is...

Sounds very deep...but it's true. There are plenty of competant athletes out there. People who compete with wheelchairs and crutches and I would mess with them as much as some one without these! In other words, never.

Lifes about overcoming and Yoda, aikimac and even SilatPupil (with his accident - not causing one I hasten to add :D) are very good demonstrations of what we (the human animal) can overcome.

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I agree. My mum got thrown from her horse about 6months ago, completely shattered her ankle.....was in hospital for months cos they didnt know what they were going to do. Eventually they operated on her foot, put in steel pins and plates etc, but told her she would never be able to walk without an aid again. She refused to accept that as her future, got a physiotherapist, and now she can walk around the house (well hobble, but she gettin there) without her crutches. Slow but steady recovery is on the cards for her.

'Tis truely a marvel at what you can overcome with the right attitude and someone who believes in you.