Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I have followed theese kinds of discussions for some time (this one and a previous thread), and the reason I asked you was not for some sort of trick question, I just recently have thought about how I would react If I ever was in a situation where I could fire a gun at somebody and get away with it in court.

To reveal my wiew on the matter, I live in Norway, where the right to carry for self defence is neither needed (unless you're activily taking part in organized crime), or wanted. I have discussed with a lot of people here on MAP, and my current wiew, is that I'm not to judge other countries laws, based on my own limited knowledge about that given country. 90% of norwegians (including me) probably would laugh at a suggestion that civillians should be allowed to carry guns, and most of the times american rights to carry guns is mentioned, pro-gun-right-people are portrayed as morons :( I don't truely understand why it seems to be very important for many americans to carry a gun, but that doesn't mean that I think the world would be a perfect place, if only every country followed norwegian law :)

Have you ever had to fire a gun in the army at a person? I have a friend who served in Bosnia in the 90's, and he once was in a situation where he was considering to fire. He was standing guard on a roadblock, when some guy decided it was smart to drive a truck full speed towards the checkpoint. My friend had him in his aim, with finger on trigger, seeing the truck coming towards him, but luckily, the guy saw sence, and stopped. My friend sais that it was a very tough situation mentally, and he claims he was maximum 1 second from firing his G3 rifle. It's stories like this that makes me glad, I decided to not volenteer for foregin service when it was an option for me. (Now, I'm an old reservist, training 30 days a year, more for motivating myself for staying in shape than for any other reason.) :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi Stolenbjorn,

The fact of the matter is that in North America, there are places that are very dangerous where you'd be an idiot NOT to own a gun. European populations tend be very naive when it comes to gun ownership in North America. In the U.S., the police have no obligation to protect the citizenry. Go live in Detroit and see how long it takes you to want a gun. Live out in the middle of nowhere in along the Southern border and see if you don't want a gun, even if it's to take care of rattlesnakes.

If European media want to portray pro-gun advocates as morons, then it is the European media who are the morons, passing judgement on a society they apparently know nothing about. But people love to ridicule what they don't understand, even journalists.

You also might want to look at Spain, where (apparently) the latest fad is axe-weilding thugs who use the axe to break down people's doors and rob and kill the inhabitants, who due to Spain's strict gun laws, are unarmed and merely fall victim to violent people.

Hopefully I'll never have to live in Spain. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

yeah i think if i lived there id sleep with a bat and a knife:hat: but im on the whole image that americ is full of gun toting violence loving phychopaths, which admittedly Palin did nothing to help so forgive my ignorance. But is america really that bad? i know detrit is meant to be a craphole and have its share of crime but is it really to that degree? I dont doubt you i just have no idea what its like over there like you said.

4. Stolenbjorn

This is true. It's very fun watching Fox news, when they talk about how stupid european ways of doing stuff is, and I guess it would be equally fun for you to watch a translated assortement of norwegian journalists comments of your countr(ies)

5. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I know in the uk atm the home office's policy is not to issue liscences for firearms, particularly the highest graded (hand guns and automatics) for self defense unless you have something to do with Northern Ireland.

However, we aren't prohibited from it, its just incredibly hard to get. If you're worried about looking after you're home, easy to get a shotgun or a rifle. Just put the reason on the application as "sporting".

That said, if you blasted a burglars **** off, you'd get in trouble, but in the highly unlikely event someone came in and started to rape you're granny, you'd probabally be in the clear!

Applying for a .12gauge for clay's after i learn to drive, can't get to shoots enough to make it worthwhile! At the shop the other day, they are cheaper than a lot of air rifles!I think it may be an age thing, or some worrying middle class dissociation from the realities of the dangers of guns, but i like guns basically, anyone who thinks that is immature or stupid, well I am! xD

I can tell southpaw likes guns too....

Its probabally a Playstation generation thanng

6. shizuilong

shizuilong Valued Member

Both handguns and automatics are prohibited weapons under the firearms act and as such it is illegal to possess in the UK (You can't obtain licences for these). Even police forces are not allowed to carry automatic weapons - they are modified to be single shot only.

7. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

Im no expert, but from my intense time spent on the internet.... xD

Not true, i belive its under "section 5" firearms (ie, prettymuch prohibited) and liscences are technically obtainable, its just they haven't been issued for a long time, thats what i was trying to point out. Theres some pressure group trying to revert the homeoffices current stance on it.

Apparently the few people who still hold them because of whatever they got up to in the troubles in Ireland.

There prohibited, but not "by a bill of law" persay, which is the backbone of this pressure groups kinda strategy at the minute.

All the info was pulled off their literature some time ago by me, so could have been half remembered, but im sure that's the gist of it.

As for the police force single shot only, Im pretty sure thats bull!

But im sure you'll turn out to be chief of The police Firearms licensing Department for leeds and point out where i went wrong

;)

I also heard a story from the local gun dealer who supposedly knows a deer hunter that has a one for a small revolver for putting them out their missery. I'd personally call BS but who knows.

EDIT

i hope you get what im getting at, I think you're right in saying "you cant get permits for them" but that is because of the homeoffices's own will, not through a palimentary act completley banning them from being issued. "We could issue you a sec5 permit, but we arnt!"

8. Southpaw535

yeah i do have a slight fetish for guns. no idea why.

9. Stolenbjorn

In a short while, I'm going to be carrying this one:
    http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:HK416.jpg
    (Not actually carrying it, but having it in my home, because I'm in the norwegian answer to the Home Guards/national Guards, etc)

Currently I have this one stored secretly in my house:
    http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Automatic_rifle_AG-3_left.jpg

So allthough Norwegians are not allowed to buy a gun for self defence, that doesn't mean that we don't have access to guns :eek:
    Hunting, sporting and army are the three grounds for getting guns in Norway

(Actually, somebody once told me that there were more guns pr. person in Norway than in USA, but I don't have the source for that one

10. Southpaw535

wonder if i can get an airsoft variation of the 416? thats a nice looking gun. i think it might be a tad extreme for shooting foxes though

11. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

..I don't think the fox is in a position to be picky!

...xD...besides if you shoot a fox with an airsoft gun you're gonna make him pretty PO'd :p

12. Southpaw535

my little moral bit: i hate animal hunting. moving on... i would be using the rifle for airsoft not hunting. for hunting id have a knife, a BIG stick, some rope and a few grenades. Tir it to a tree and stick a 'nade in it's mouth. or somewhere else....

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've heard you can get a legal handgun if you hunt deer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  14. Southpaw535

please tell me you mean "deer" mate. your not my type

15. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

16. Southpaw535

"suitable weapon" so if i claim to hunt wales can i get a .30 cal and a javelin?

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You've never been married?

18. Southpaw535

hell no!! whats the point in devoting yourself to one woman?

19. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I should read this thread a bit more.

Yes there are some restrictions that are FEDERAL and cannot be overturned on the state level. Examples are long guns. Under no circumstance is a civilian allowed to carry a loaded long gun (rifle, assault or otherwise, or shotgun) through a city or town. You can have them in your car but they are NOT supposed to be loaded. Some states actually require that you have them in a case. Some don't require that.

As for handgun, that goes from state to state. MOST require that you barrel IS NOT threaded to receive a silencer. MOST also do NOT allow high capacity magazines (anything over 19 rounds) to be carried.

Virginia (that's me) is fairly loose but does conform to those about guidelines for pistols.

They also have a statute that says anything that shoots something other then a bullet (i.e. rocket improvised or not) is a felony.

My take on carrying a gun is that it is NOT showing a lack of confidence in the local police department. It is showing an understanding that a police officer does not follow you around all day every day. If you need a cop in a minute or less, chances are they are three minutes away.

It does seem that people like to portray pro-gunners as morons. It is unfair and ignorant. Many people do not realize exactly HOW MANY people around them are carrying a licensed weapon. They see the extremes of gun rights people and assume that is all of us. Just like some gun rights activist see the extremes of anti-gunners and assume that is all of them. Goes both ways, but we are not trying to take away one of their rights. Just trying to maintain our own.

20. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Another note about the long guns...if you go into smaller towns the rules on them are often ignored since most of the time you are talking a 30-30 or other similar hunting weapons.