Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. APC

APC Valued Member

Do you live down Leigh Park or Somers Town or something?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

yay someone who knows the area. no but i seem to have a habit of attracting trouble. probably because im a scrawny kid who gets lairy to anyone who starts on me.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I was watching a program on South Africa and crime the other day. The baddies there shoot policemen to take thier guns to sell. Nasty place!

4. APC

APC Valued Member

It seems that everyone round this way carries some sort of weapon!

I carry my Leatherman with me most of the time as I use it in my work but I wouldn't think of using it offensively as it would be too much hassle to open it up under stress, not to mention it would be a proper pain in the **** to clean blood out of all the cavities.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  5. Southpaw535

you from pompey then? i have no intention of using my multitool as a weapon if not just because, like ypu said, it'd be too difficuilt to open in a fight. I carry it just because it's something i've got used to with my dad and my brother that guys carry them. And it's shiny

6. APC

APC Valued Member

Leatherman Wave.

I don't live in Portsmouth but I work in Leigh Park.

My 2p on weapons: I wouldn't go anywhere where I felt uncomfortable enough to feel the need to carry a weapon. I'm fairly lucky though as I don't live in a particularly wartorn area. Maybe I would feel different if I lived in a rough area.

7. Southpaw535

like kazahkstan? anywhere where the police need an APC is outside my comfort zone.

8. Amber

Amber Valued Member

I conceal a pocket knife. But I live in a pretty dodgy area, and often work late at night.

And I'd only use it if I was at a significant disadvantage. (outnumbered, or opponent is armed.)

Realistically, most attackers would attack with either a group of friends, or a weapon, and I'm not 1337 enough to take on a guy with a knife bare-handed.

9. meghatronic

meghatronic Valued Member

Being in the UK, you can get shafted by the law for carrying pretty much anything "with intent to harm" - even a pen. You need a legitimate reason to carry anything upon your persons, even a blade that's less than 2" or whatever. You can't carry it for protection, you have to have another reason.

So I carry nothing.

10. Southpaw535

well you can kill someone with two inches.

11. meghatronic

But you can't technically even carry 2". Everyone in the UK says you can carry a blade if it's <2" (2.5 I think), so a penknife or leatherman etc. But, you still need a legitimate (in the eyes of the Police) reason to be carrying it.

12. Southpaw535

we're doing knife crime stuff for my IT gcse and i think i read that the law allowing 2 inches was outlawed last year or something

13. meghatronic

It's always been illegal, but recently Brown (rightly) said anyone found with a knife should be prosecuted.

Criminal justice act states a folding knife with a blade <3 inches IS legal to carry.... but ONLY if you have a purpose. If not, it has always been illegal, and you'll now probably be prosecuted.

E.g. I'm stopped by a police and have a 2.5" penknife. He asks me why I have it, I say "for protection", I do not pass go, I do not collect £200 and I'll probably be arrested and charged. If I said, "I work in the mail room at work and need it to open packages", he'll probably advise me not to carry it day to day.

14. Southpaw535

i was about to say "who carrys a knife for protection" but thats a pretty stupid one. Can you use a knife for protection? the only way i can think of to use a knife is offensively

15. meghatronic

I think that's the lawmakers point. Anything one carries for proteciton (unless it's a shield :eek:) is actually for offence, you just might not attack first.

Same is true of "self defence" moves... most of the time it's actually offensive.

16. Southpaw535

which is why i do my best to use holds. no marks and it looks better than smacking someones head against a wall :hat:

17. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Yes, but I call them "tools."

Every job is best done with the right tool.

18. Southpaw535

so could you, theoretically, carry a carving knife if your a chef on the way to work?

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Yes - but you'd carry it in a knife bag/case. In other words it would be in a container that couldn't be easily accessed.

When I take knives into a seminar to talk about edged weapon awareness I will wrap the blades in a t towel, roll them up, wrap them in a second towel, place them in a bag, and then transport them in the bottom of a kit bag. If I start doing this on a regular basis I will buy a lockable tool box to transport them in.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  20. Southpaw535

makes sense. still wouldnt fancy explaining it ot the police