Do you agree with what this instructor says in this video about ethics in martial arts??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's the first thing in this thread that has actually offended me. :p

It most certainly is not like a ninjutsu lunge punch. It's a lot more like this:
    [​IMG]

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm not sure MMA and boxing gyms teach to throw the jab with your head so far over your front foot it's actually outside of your base of balance

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  3. David Harrison

Yes, I agree, and I would not have people leaving their head so undefended either. One guy near the back looks like he's doing the karate fist-to-hip thing.

To give the instructor the benefit of the doubt though, it is something we like to train to failure, so that people get a feeling for their limits. Like I said though, this is someone who went off to do their own thing.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

These people??

Simon Pither | Krav Maga Instructor | Self Defence Instructor

5. David Harrison

6. David Harrison

First, there is a big difference between secrecy and confidentiality. I take people's confidentiality seriously, and I don't repeat anything about anyone unless that information is in the public domain or they have given me express permission to repeat it, or I can relay it without giving away any clues as to their identity if it is serving a general point and not a specific one. Sometimes, like in this thread, that works against me, or at least my ego, because it prevents me from sharing information about other people that would bolster my position. I'm okay with taking some dings to the ego though, in fact I think it's a good thing in many ways.

Secondly, all that said was that our techniques and training methods should only be passed on by warranted instructors, and it gave safety as the prime reason for that. If you want to think that is cult behaviour, then be my guest, but I personally don't, obviously.

I've sparred with people from all kinds of arts, even in the company of my instructor. There are members who practice other arts as well.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It really isn't.

Hannibal likes this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Mitch..it's just like the jab GSP (a fighter with arguably the best jab in MMA) throws. It's been handed down from the Pharaohs. :)

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No it REALLY isn't

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

So you can't even say, "X did Karate, Y did boxing and Z did 3 years studying ancient Egyptian shin kicking?

Regardless of your reply, it really is ridiculous.

There should be no secrets in the martial arts. Growth comes from sharing.

Do the armies and police forces you've or Marbo have trained need to be secret?

Dan93 likes this.
  11. Hannibal

No it's a koga...errr. tawara bo...errr..dulo dulo...err.. kubotan....sorry, I mean Zamora - the "totally unique to Marbo' weapon

:D

12. Hannibal

No and furthermore they would refuse to work with any group that required such conditions - individual officers can do what they wish in their free time, but that is nothing close to being a police system

I find it strange that a WSD course is offered - if the techniques are so secret they cannot be revealed outside the group members it is awry to give them away for 10 quid to a class of women - or else the techniques taught are not Marbo of course

13. Simon

Why are you offended?

My issue, and not just with you, is so many claim they teach boxing because they have punches in their syllabus.

That's now four of us who said the Marbo picture isn't boxing.

Who is correct?

For clarity my boxing comes from:

Noel Tibay / Lee Banda

Tommy Thompson

The Summersdale Martial Arts blog: Interview with legendary boxing trainer Tommy Thompson by Rocky Sondhi

Ian John Lewis

BoxRec: Ian John Lewis

And my own extensive training.

axelb likes this.
  14. Simon

Ooh I forgot Ernie Alesna.

I've never seen a bag with a dent in it before.

Lee Banda told me his body shots were sickening.

Dan93 likes this.
  15. David Harrison

No, it isn't. It is what I said though - more like that, mainly because there is no step through.

Having said that, I did already criticise that photo. As well as the problems I mentioned before the legs and body are disconnected in that photo, taking power out of it.

16. David Harrison

I don't know. Some kind of kung fu and various other bits and bobs I think, but there's no point me guessing.

Regarding "secrecy", I can't be bothered repeating everything I wrote in the Pathwalker Guild thread, let alone repeating stuff I've already covered in this thread as well as that thread.

Sharing is fine, but it's something I do with contact. If people want to learn then they come along for a few sessions and see if they like it. If you think that's out of order in some way then we'll have to agree to disagree.

17. David Harrison

I wasn't. Hence the smiley.

Who claimed it was boxing? It's not.

18. Simon

That reads to me that you don't know your instructor's background.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Why should he, I mean outside of his instructors credentials in his current art why does he need to know his history?

David Harrison likes this.
  20. Hannibal

Because it is one of the first questions you should ask of ANY teacher - respectfully of course! "What is your experience and qualification to be showing me what it is you are showing me?" is the distillation of the issue

I can tell you the exact background of all the teachers I have and continue to have; now of course you don't HAVE to but I know of very, very, very few that do not...the vaguer the background, the less credible is a solid rule of thumb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.