Do you agree with what this instructor says in this video about ethics in martial arts??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

It’s not just topics (e.g. forms, lineage) that have caused issues, but the tone of disagreement. Sometimes posts can come across as borderline hostile.

I’ve no problem with people debating and disagreeing. That’s part of the point of a forum.

I think the problem is with posts that can come across as needlessly aggressive.

Mitlov likes this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

WHAT DO YOU MEAN!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Seriously really

I know simons your student but really this is reaching and you know it

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What have I declined to answer?

5. David Harrison

Yes. I was making arrangements to take a session at the MAP meet in the year I first joined MAP, then Simon told me to "forget it" out of the blue without explanation.

I don't see why I should go out of my way to satisfy others' curiosity after that. It killed any interest I had in going, which presumably was Simon's intention.

6. David Harrison

I've never seen video of him boxing, only demonstrating boxing technique.

If he's all about openness and sharing, why hasn't he clarified his boxing credentials yet?

Am I MAP's biggest agenda troll, or is icefield? Enquiring minds want to know ;)

icefield likes this.
  7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well, no. Just being told that you're not needed for teaching a session, or that you have requirements that can't be met, or that you can't teach for some other reason most definitely isn't being disinvited from attending. I've been told fairly last minute that I'm not needed for teaching slots any more, it didn't change the fact that I could still attend the Meet and have fun.

I've turned up to every Meet since 2005, and have only taught at (I think) 3.

You may have had a falling out with Simon, but nothing I've seen here suggests that you were disinvited from attending a Meet at some point.

8. David Harrison

Simon withdrew his invitation before I had a chance to say either way. He said he didn't believe I was going to attend, so he withdrew the invitation. Which doesn't seem too logical to me, but it's his event, so...

Seems to me he never wanted me there in the first place, he obviously expected me to refuse. Withdrawing his invitation before I responded gives him the opportunity to accuse me of never having any intention of attending, and he will probably say that I'm just saying I would have because I know I won't now. Not a bad tactic. And he's right that I won't attend now, seeing as he a) couldn't make up his mind and stick to a decision, and b) was quite rude about it.

Pathwalker Guild

Pathwalker Guild

I'll let others decide if that is a scheduling conflict or a disinvitation.

icefield likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Closed pending MOD discussion.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Thread reopened after MOD discussion

icefield likes this.
  11. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I have read the last few pages of this thread ...

And my unbiased view is ...

Everyone is welcome at the MAP meets so come along learn a lot share a lot and have a bit of fun whilst training....

Oh yeah and stop bitching at each other...lifes too short

Smurf

Dan93, cloudz, aikiMac and 3 others like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I read all those posts from 2012 and it's clear that David was disinvited from teaching at the Meet, but not disinvited from attending the Meet. Big difference.

Regardless, that was SIX YEARS ago everybody! Let's all move on.

Monkey_Magic, bassai and Alansmurf like this.
  13. David Harrison

Totally agree that it is in the past, and it's not like I lost any sleep over it, but I'm not one for second chances. Life is too short to waste on people who can't play nice the first time.

Oh, and I don't know where you get the teaching/attending distinction:

Reads pretty clearly to me...

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Then a couple of posts later he stated you were welcome to attend , now can we move on please ?

15. David Harrison

I moved on six years ago. Just clarifying events because Aaradia asked, and then Aegis said it didn't happen. :)

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't mod here much any more, but this issue has clearly spiralled out of all proportion, so I will get involved for old times' sake. There has been a mod instruction to move on from a controversial topic. Without instructions from Mitch to the contrary, I will start handing out temporary bans if people choose to ignore mod requests. This includes any further attempts to get the last word in.

17. David Harrison

I hope you don't take this as disobeying your instruction...

Mod add: I do. Take questions private.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2018
  18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mod edit: Breach of instruction - 7 day ban.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Might get a ban now too, but I am wondering: According to your own edit in Davids post, he did that too - just wondering why one got banned and not the other?
    (Nope, didn't read all of this thread, just the last couple of pages; so I might have missed the "why" here)

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The ban hammer is falling heavy tonight.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.