Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

It seems like an opponent walking straight toward you would open up all kinds of opportunities for the lead hook (as they were talking about), a straight right hand a'la Marquez' KO of Pacquiao that they are walking right into... even locks are more painful if the opponent is walking toward you. No?

2. Saved_in_Blood

Sadly, I felt that after the Collazo fight that Ricky started downhill quickly.

3. Saved_in_Blood

You too man... it's also my Wife and I's 2 year anniversary today ... can't believe she could have put up with me for so long lol.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, at my CHKD class one of my instructors likes the vertical fist, and I can see how it could be considered maybe better for some... I just know that after I've been hitting the bag for years that it would be a very hard habit to break. I figured that if I do train with either this guy or the kickboxing and Muay Thai guy that is local to me that I will have to make some adjustments, but I don't mind at least attempting to be versatile, even if I'm not good at it lol.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Well I contacted the instructor. I asked him basically how his classes went as far as what the structure was with each class. He seemed a bit short and told me a few things, but then said that I would have to just come in and see how it goes. Could have just been a long day for the guy which I understand, but at the same time it's an hour or more away, so it's not exactly that easy as to just stop by and take a class either. Don't know if i'll try it now or not if I can do private muay thai lessons for 30.00 per hour that's 15 minutes from me. I know it's not the same thing, but learning a new art is always a plus either way.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd like to hear your experences with this.

7. Considered

Considered New Member

According to Wikipedia - Jeet Kune Do is:

"an eclectic/hybrid style of no style and philosophy of life founded by martial artist Bruce Lee with direct, non-classical, and straightforward movements."

It reads like an algebra equation...

Let's break it down:

1. Eclectic/hybrid style of no style

Ok, that's simple: It's a "hybrid style of no style" - which seems nonsensical (in cancelling itself out) but the word "eclectic" forgives the faux pas

...So, we can replace the first part of the statement with "it is nothing"

"it is nothing and philosophy of life founded by martial artist Bruce Lee with direct, non-classical, and straightforward movements."

Nothing and philosophy ... hmm ... :thinking: ... That's just thinking!

"with direct, non-classical, and straightforward movements"​

That's flowery talk if ever I heard some!

Meaning of Jeet Kune Do:

"stay still and think"​

Jeet June Do may be some form of meditation - with experience, perhaps: Transcendental Meditation?

Which brings me back to the original question...

...Most "perfect" system? ...for what?

Is this another Koan?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Condidered. If you struggle with that, then good luck with zen and koans.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thanks for those! I'll give 'em a watch when I get back to civilization later today.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Basically in wrestling when you can get to a place where your center line in facing your opponent and his center line is not facing yours you pretty much have an open shot. It reduces his ability to sprawl or use both hands in a cow-catcher to block the shot. He is pretty much giving away his front leg and the single is there for the taking.

I'm not talking MMA or fighting here but focused on wrestling. Even there you are in a disadvantageous position in regard to a single even though your options are wider.

My experience is on the mats when I see my opponents feet in this position I can usually pull of the single.

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thanks.

Whenever I hear/read conversations about straight/bladed vs. more square stances, there is usually a supposition that hips and shoulders are more-or-less in alignment.

From your wrestler's perspective, does it make any difference if your opponent's upper body is square-on, even though their feet are side-on?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No

JKD is not anything like Transcedental Meditation....for one thing JKD actually works

13. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yeah it makes a difference. It allows both hands to be used in obstructing the shot but the rear hand won't be as effective. It still makes the sprawl difficult as you have to shift your center of weight back to the lane where the shot is happening to drive your opponent down to the mat. That extra shift adds time to the sprawl and if you ever wrestled you would know that a shot is fast. Even when square on it is hard to stop a shot if your opponent has a clear lane. Thus the reason for a lot of the pushing, pulling and hand fighting in wrestling. I want to upset his balance or block the lane so that he never has a good opportunity to shoot. It is also used for setting up arm drags, snap downs and throws.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. Saved_in_Blood

On another note, my instructors were were talking about (and I didn't catch it all) a Machida BJJ learning system they were bringing to my CHKD dojo. I will get more details about it when I get back to class. It's supposedly a pretty big deal to our place though.

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Hopefully they will have a purple belt or higher to teach it. Beginners can get basics from a blue but it's just not the same.

16. Considered

Considered New Member

Hey Mike, get back over on the Taoism thread - I was asking you a question :)

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Such a lot of fuss over a couple of words.

It's just a name people. :D

18. Saved_in_Blood

Like I said... I have no idea at all about the details... i'll post them when I hear more about it.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He he. My Escrima teacher complimented me saying that my footwork doesn't allow for retreat. :D

Thank you Musashi Sensei.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Mine doesn't either but it doesn't have anything to do with being good. :)