Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That is clearly trapping and therefore instantly does not work; anything else is irrelevant including the fact it worked

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

My actions didn't allow the overwhelming attack. My colleagues actions, as guided by an instructor, did.

In addition in martial terms I was a beginner. I would have been about 19 or 20.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Me neither, but I've seen it happen involuntarily often enough, and from big Navy SEAL trainees as well as MA instructors and newbies.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I like to train for all eventualities.

That statement honestly sounds a bit arrogant and dangerous to me.

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" and all that...

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I'm pretty sure I can run forward me quickly than I can run backwards, therefore, all things being equal (to assume superiority would be dangerous, even if true), back pedalling is a bad idea unless the opponent has been 'distracted' to a suitable degree to create space.

6. John Titchen

Mitigated by the fact that the instructor was KM and the attack was an 'untrained' straight haymaker.

:Angel:

7. Hannibal

Taking a back step is fine - I often do it to line someone up, although I try and hide it with my hands. Taking two is less desirable and any more than that and the initiative is lost

Now sidestepping into a retreat - that's a different animal!

8. Simon

I didn't get hit, my colleague did, therefore at the time and in very similar circumstances it wasn't dangerous and was the correct course of action.

The dangerous action was taking a passive, even scared/worried step backwards.

9. John Titchen

BTW

Signed copies of the picture are available.

The nudes are particular popular with the over 80s.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

JWT

Any videos (tutorials) of that stance and how to use it? I'd like to see it if possible.

11. David Harrison

Yes, in that situation. And in that situation I would agree with you.

Have you ever been ambushed, in training or for real?

A good defensive back-pedal reaction for half a second can save your skin.

12. Simon

I teach boxing as part of my syllabus, and that includes being able to hit on the back foot.

13. David Harrison

That is essentially what I am talking about.

But the biggest win is not getting hit/stabbed. Sometimes the other guy simply does have the initiative and more aggression, if even for half a second. To not even consider that as a possiblilty is leaving a gap in your gameplan and is a weakness that can be exploited.

14. David Harrison

I already said that is preferable to retreating without attacking.

But, again, you don't always have the choice.

Safety and avoiding injury should be of paramount importance, IMO.

15. David Harrison

I'm off to the pub now.

If I end up doing any effective back-pedalling, I'll be sure to get the CCTV and post it on MAP :D

All the best for the coming year to everyone :)

16. Hannibal

You too David - good to have you back!

17. John Titchen

No, I've not filmed any.

You can see a few preempts and preempt redundancies from it in this warm up exercise here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPXQgJV1KiE"]Initiative - YouTube[/ame]

and in our outside drill here (apologies for the sloooow speaking - it was a single cut video and I was concentrating really hard):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zfu-EdPzc"]Self Defence Haymaker Defence Drill: DART 1a, flinch based response to the round haymaker - YouTube[/ame]

It's not a fixed position, but it is the one we train our preempts from because of the protection it gives the real lead and the head. More experienced practitioners go from any fence.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

That shot that KO'd Ricky will be the same one that KO's khan if he fights him ;)

I was heartbroken that night btw

19. Hannibal

Me too - Ricky lives in my old hometown and is a local hero. Mind you, the Pac fight was worse emotionally because at least he gave a good account of himself in the Mayweather one

20. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

If you start training at different places simultaneously, you need to be able to adapt to the things they might do a little differently, at least while you are there training. At home do it the way you like best. Sometimes you might end up liking the new way better, and I suspect this one thing would be pretty minor in comparison with other things that would be different.

For example, where I train MT you throw a hook with the palm facing your face. At the KF school where I train kickboxing, you throw it with your palm down. As far as I can tell, both are equally good (maybe palm down is faster?).