Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I do have experience with trapping in my art... I'm assuming that's what you are talking about? In real life though, many times your opponent would be wearing a shirt, or won't be all hot and sweaty lol.

Just take up boxing then!

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I don't know anything about Hapkido. It has trapping? Is it anything like Wing Chun/JKD style trapping, or are you just using that term to mean something totally different - like wrist locks, etc.?

Unrelated silly Hapkido side note - One time I was on a plane and a mom and her teenage daughter were on in front of us. The daughter had a shirt with Hapkido on it from her school - and my wife of course starts talking to them - and the mom mentions in their family they call it "Happy Kiddo" because it makes the kid happy. So whenever I hear Hapkido, that is the first thing that goes through my mind.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

lol that's funny.

In CHKD we do quite a lot of trapping actually, now is it like JKD style? I really am not sure, but it is trapping in the sense where I could see where it was said that if one's arms were sweaty that it would be hard to hold onto.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Trapping is as much about circumventing an obstacle as anything else - we trap to hit...nothing more

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I am no expert, but one thing I was thinking about when the issue of trapping came up and it's usefulness is that I think people expect there to be long exchanges where people are trapping and then trapping and then trapping which you can see in some martial arts films. Brandon Lee's "Rapid Fire" comes to mind. But in reality the exchanges involving trapping would be very brief to create an opening to then start other techniques. You would not sit there and trap and trap and trap because no opponent is going to hang around in your range like that. You drill it constant so that it becomes a natural reaction so that when the chance arrives you do it. You are probably going to get one punch out of it that you would not of gotten otherwise, and then the fight will continue after either both people move around again or someone finally gets knocked out.

I have no formal training in trapping. I have only read about it. But that was my opinion in thinking on it.

I remember reading an article in Black Belt once entitled something like "Why some of your techniques don't work..." and it was written by a woman who took Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and she described a time she was home alone and was attacked by a burglar, she started her routine that involved a limb destruction and a throw to be followed up by further moves, but she could not get the throw to work. She realized eventually that she had basically shattered the man's arm and therefore it was not going to be useful in throwing him. The fight was won but the technique did not go off as she had drilled it. That was when it occurred to her that you drill techniques in sequences so that you can react if/when one of the techniques in the sequence does not work as planned. I tend to think trapping would be the same way. You drill trapping in long exchanges because you have no idea how long it is going to take you to get an opening.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is "trapping" by my definition. The purpose is to disable opponent's arm mobility.

[​IMG]

7. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i saw a 'rolling arms' technique in either aikido or hapkido, i cant remember, that was quite effective against wing chun's chain-blast punching, i dont know if that classifies as trapping or just as rapid blocking

8. Hannibal

What was the initiation prior to the punching out of interest?

9. Fujian Animal

i met a guy at the library, in the sports section where all the martial arts books are, i was researching wing chun books to help compliment the training i was undergoing at that time, and i guess he was an aikidoka/hapkidoka if im saying that correctly, but mutual interest initiated a friendly exchange of knowledge, i showed him my chain-blast technique, and he showed me his rolling-arms technique, it was pretty friendly im afraid, i dont have any war stories or epic street fights to tell you about here

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Martial arts dewey # 796.8.....:)

:eek: Speaking as Library employee, I sure hope you weren't showing each other techniques IN said Library.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. Hannibal

No I didn't think that was going to be the case anyway. WC punching/JKD SB are very easy to counter if the initiation is lacking by either not zoning or by not inflicting an initial damage or pain shot

Marc Mcfann once told me - many years ago now - when I asked about countering the blast to look at the WC system more fully because they deal with it more than anyone else

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

In Muay Thai trapping is used most fights,this one is a example:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DqFuJfwXzo"]Karuhat VS Lamnamoon (Rematch) - YouTube[/ame]

13. Fujian Animal

speaking of muay thai, i find that the siamese high roundhouse kick that so many people find devastating is actually, from my personal experience, not as effective as it would seem in most cases, even in muay thai competitions such as the video posted above, 90% of the time in a real fight, be it on the street or in a ring, that high kick just does not work, it is too slow and too unnatural, and almost every time you will see the other guy catch that leg and easily apply a quick leg takedown, as that video shows

14. Hannibal

True of any kick

15. Fujian Animal

i find kicking useful for providing distractions, feinting or baiting the opponent, triggering his own natural reflexes to your advantage, making him react how you want him to, especially useful with low kicks, despite all the martial arts styles i've been exposed to over the many years of my wing chun training, i can honestly say i dont kick a lot, and when i do kick i kick low, using very basic kicks like a swift and snappy toe kick to the groin, a powerful thrust kick just above the kneecap, or a low roundhouse to the back of the opponent's knee with the intention of making him fold, these 3 kicks are all very basic, easy to learn quickly, and from my own experience they are highly effective, at least having a better success rate than some of the more complicated, acrobatic kicks you see on television or in performance styles like TKD

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Cue Mitch in 1,2,3...

17. Fujian Animal

let me digress, what i mean is not that TKD isn't effective, TKD kicks are some of the most powerful kicks in the MMA world, but what i meant is like during TKD performances, and Wushu demonstrations, where the kicks are "supposed" to look flashy, but in reality are not as effective as they seem

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Try catching this guys high kick:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PflaRK5nvGY"]CP - "Samart II" - YouTube[/ame]

19. Fujian Animal

i saw a guy once who could stand back just out of range from people, tell them ahead of time exactly what kind of kick he was going to use, and where he was going to kick you at, then he would ask you to try and block or defend against it, but whenever you said "go" he would spring into action so fast you never even saw it coming, and he was incredibly accurate, able to touch people on the chin with his toe before they could even react to try and block it, and with such discipline and restraint that he never hurt anyone during his demonstrations

some people are just naturally badass, but for the average joe like myself, i wouldnt be able to compete with such elusive speed, so i would have to 'cheat', which is exactly what works in most cases that i've ever seen or been in, i simply am not as flexible or as long-going as i once was, and for part-timers like myself who dont teach martial arts or train professionally, we have taken the more easier path of keeping only the most simple, basic and effective techniques for self-defense, and high-kicks just arent one of them

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Muay Thai is a sport sir hence body kicks/high kicks etc:)