Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How do you minimize your target profile?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Stand side-on to your attacker, à la fencing, or [edit: some] combat shooting.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Or close outside the attacker.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

@david

Gotcha, gotcha...

I have a bad habit of scan reading, not thinking and posting. I should check myself before I riggety wreck myself.

But, yeah...Kicking off the rear was a big problem for me. I could never get it down. It took too much adjustment and messing around.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Right lead, left lead, strong side forward, I've never found it a problem delivering a good kick with either leading or rear leg.

I may be missing something, but surely it's down to decent instruction.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No it isn't. But my experience of JKD is limited to 80s instructional tapes where Paul Vunak tries to bite a guy's lips off.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I hope my comments didn't come off as a criticism of JKD as a whole, they were more about the problems I had with the stance and using the strong side forward.

Could have just been a problem area for me that I needed to work on :dunno:

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

The lead hand forward makes sense, but based on my own experience with boxing and with the many many hours I have spent hitting the bags and such... a simple half step in with my jab (my left hand) I would imagine is just as powerful, maybe because if I used my right hand, it would just be to awkward. I've been punching that way for years, so to change it now would just really confuse me I think.

9. Saved_in_Blood

excuse me sir... I hope you keep a knife with you to cut bad guys up too.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Usually I carry two

11. Saved_in_Blood

so, if I go to train with this guy... is he going to correct me when I turn my punches over? I have the hardest time keeping a straight fist because of what I'm used to.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You're still relatively new to MAP. You have no idea who you just directed that comment at. :p

13. Saved_in_Blood

that's what I like to hear from one psycho to another :woo:

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That only minimizes your target profile if, as in fencing or combat shooting, you suppose that the attacks are coming in a straight line from in front of you. In FMA, for instance, you seldom see anyone using a really pronounced side-on stance because it generally results in a training dagger in the kidney.

15. David Harrison

Even better. But that suggests being dominant.

Straight lead is great for back-pedalling under pressure, or being in a corner, as you have less surface area to cover, and centre-line targets are much harder to access.

16. David Harrison

See my post above. It is easier to protect your vitals side-on.

There are valid arguments about the scope of attacks or counters from that position, but no matter what angle the attack is coming from (presuming one opponent), you have less to think about in terms of defending against attacks.

Though if one is not used to side-stance, it can lead to opening-up rear targets, which may lead to the kidney shots you've seen. You get good at what you train.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Not really. Once an attack is made the 'defender' (whether or not they preempted or whether they were hit by or deflected the first hit) is either close inside or close outside in my experience. In both instances left lead/right lead is fairly immaterial - it's the other person's position that has set where you go to. Very occasionally I've seen people backpedal from an ineffective or pulled preempt, but generally that needs a kick to chase rather than a left or right lead.

I realise that my paired training probably follows a different setup to JKD or a competitive framework.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Straight lead is actually better as an "ambush" shot or an opening gambit. Used with a circle step it can really land with a thump

This is a similar set up, but with check hook due to the proximity

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgRfQ65FNY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgRfQ65FNY[/ame]

19. David Harrison

Nice example!

I actually like it for many applications, but the biggest benefit reported to me by colleagues and students (and my own experience) in violent encounters is how much it closes off attack opportunities from your opponent.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That tight lead hook inside of the opponent's hook is an awesome shot.

I was taking one of my students through some pad work a few weeks ago (dominant lead- JKD style) and he threw a lead hook which would have knocked most of us out.