Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

good fighters are often considered boring because they are levels above their competition.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Referencing something mentioned earlier about the level of JKD exponents, this is my Sifu - Harinder Singh - showing JKD with MMA application

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC9WOmYPY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC9WOmYPY4[/ame]

3. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

That was really awesome. More of this! :)

4. Combat Sports

Effective martial arts are often boring to look at as well.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Oh well.. it takes someone who knows what to look for to really appreciate any form of MA IMO.

6. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i dont believe in perfection, so the whole idea of JKD being the perfect MA is almost laughable - to each his own, whatever works for you i say, since no martial art is, was, or ever will be even close to perfection

although i practice JKD - or OJKD/JFJKD, whatever the hell you people want to call it nowdays, i just call it "JKD" since that's what it is - i do not feel like it is a complete martial art, for one, nor do i think it was ever intended or designed to be - JKD was meant to help develop the complete fighter, which doesn't always necessarily mean someone whose physical training is complete, it could be an emotionally complete fighter, or someone who has mastered 'just enough' to be recognized as such, but in short JKD has produced a really crappy 3rd generation of practitioners - not because of their fighting skills, but because of their attitudes, a lot of JKD practitioners lack tradition and direction, everyone's just chasing their own tails, doing circles trying to repeat what has already been done ten thousand times over, repeating jibberish quotes and trying to enlighten MAP with their superior JKD intelligence, when everything they say has already been said, and everything they do has already been done

not trying to down my fellow JKD practitioners around the world, i'm just telling it like it is

7. Hannibal

A "lack of tradition" in an art barely 40 years old that was designed to be non classical? You don't see the dichotomy there?

8. Combat Sports

Jeet Kune Do is a concept of eliminating unnecessary fancy mess. Streamlining your martial practices to only include techniques that have practical application, etc.

It's not a "system" in of itself. There is Jeet Kune Do/Wing Chun (Jun Fan) there is Jeet Kune Do/Kali, etc.

When Bruce was not satisfied with his kicks, he studied Savate,Muay Thai, etc. When he did that, he was practicing "Jeet Kune Do".

When BJJ proved to have valuable techniques for ground fighting, Dan Inosanto went and got himself a black belt in BJJ. And when he did, he was still practicing "Jeet Kune Do".

I would say that Jeet Kune Do is the perfect APPROACH. And the reason why is because it absorbs the best of whatever the practitioner encounters. Uses basic scientific method approaches to determine a given technique's effectiveness or lack there of. And then either assimilates that technique into it's arsenal or removes it.

In Star Trek terms, JKD is "The Borg" martial art approach.

9. Fujian Animal

tradition

belonging to a tradition, feeling as part of a whole, connected, togatherness, a oneness in mind and thought, an accordance with one another, a lineage to bruce lee, a deeper understanding of what it means to be a JKD practitioner, what it means to be "non-classical" or what it means to be "complete" both mind and body, what it means by "sticking to the nucleus" and "breaking free" etc. etc. etc. this is what i mean by tradition, it seems that in respect to bruce lee's passing, nobody really cares any more about his old-fashioned, 40-year-old teachings, it's all about the UFC nowadays and trying to prove my style's better than yours, or even "my JKD is better than your JKD" when in fact we have diverted a long way from bruce lee's journey, whether we would like to admit it or not, everyone just wants the title, the trophy, the little peice of paper that has dan inosanto's signature on it, it's all about the glamour and show nowdays, and who "looks" better than who in today's MMA world - it's not what you know, it's who you know, and mixing arts and concepts into JKD that were never originally part of JKD, and then still calling it JKD, or whatever else i could go on and on but it's really not important

10. Hannibal

JKD is formless and boundless - you can apply it conceptually to any discipline and yield results

If a technique is added and it fits the JKD paradigm then it can be called JKD.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm confused about the "who looks better than whom in today's MMA world" line of reasoning.

Participating in that format essentially means committing to the idea that you're NOT always going to look good. Even the best still managed to get punched in the face, choked unconscious, or otherwise "deglamourized." The only way to ensure always looking good is not to put yourself in those situations.

12. Fujian Animal

exactly

techniques should be molded to the individual, on a very personal level, seperate from everyone else i think

not added into the JKD program and molded to everyone

13. Hannibal

They aren't....where are you getting this idea from?

14. Fujian Animal

15. Hannibal

Ahh! I can't argue against "finger burned"

What specifically was it?

16. Fujian Animal

ok here's a scenerio, if you've ever been in one similar to this

you meet a fellow martial artist and the both of you become close friends, after all it is the martial arts which brings you closer togather and provides something in common, and during one of your little board games, the discussion of bruce lee pops up and your friend shows you a rather old familiar book entitled: "tao of jeet kune do" by bruce lee

being honest, you explain to your friend that you happened to meet a few of bruce lee's original students and that you even trained in JKD for a time, to which your friend responds that he also practices JKD, having learned it a long time ago before he met you, and so you become all excited because now you seem to have met a long lost brother

but as time goes on, you find out that you are having a few slight disagreements with your friend as to what JKD is and how its practiced, so your friend challenges you to a short sparring match to test your skills and see if everything you say adds up, only to become disappointed in his lack of JKD knowledge and skill

your friend demonstrates his so-called JKD style for you whilst sparring, yet you quickly realise that his so-called JKD is "nothing" at all like the JKD you learned from bruce lee's original students: in fact, your friend's JKD seems more like a mix of muaythai and jujutsu MMA, lacking anything that even remotely resembles kungfu, with absolutely no JKD structure at all - that is, that you recognise, and so while you are sparring you decide to demonstrate the type of JKD that you learned, what they call "jun fan jeet kune do" or "chinatown jkd", "oldschool jkd" or even "original jkd" these days, complete with techniques and improvements from wingchun, boxing, fencing and savate, that your friend doesn't even seem to understand

during the sparring match, your friend shows a superb level of skill in his balance and power during kicks, and his rooting power to the ground, an excellent form by muaythai standards and awesome flexibility that you simply cannot match with your physical limitations - he is stronger than you, more flexible than you, and better rooted to the ground

but you, yourself, being a JKD practitioner with some background in kungfu, proceed to do what JKD does best, adapt - although your friend appears to be much more powerful than you are, it appears he is also rigid and therefore way too slow for anyone with a background in wingchun, and your friend is extremely flexible and he has a way of making his techniques look wonderfully graceful in front of you, but he is just way too telegraphed and shows very little if any experience in jeet kune do

needless to say, you end up shattering his claims with one very simple, very fast low kick, using your background in wingchun to prove a point, since your friend seems hellbent on proving his knowledge superior to yours - and as expected, your friend is still in motion, in the middle of an advancing attack or counter attack, and in fact he follows up with another attack before realising that he cannot complete his motion, for the seering pain in his groin prevents him from going any further

your response was simple, it was direct, it was swift, and like a snake it was felt before it was seen, non-telegraphed, and non-fatal, so quick your friend didn't even know he got kicked before it was too late, his committment to be more powerful suddenly ended as he keels over, crouching to the ground as the sharp pain reaches his stomach, making him feel as though he had just swallowed his own testicles

you then help him recover and explain to him what just happened, before you both go out to lunch to grab a bite, and in the end you are left with a more negative connotation of JKD practitioners than you had previously

17. Hannibal

Let's repeat that scenario with a JKD student in what you deem "hybrid" mix and match variants kicking the living **** out of 3 people who claim they do "real JKD as Bruce intended it"

You are creating an agenda driven false dichotomy - it is a weakly veiled attempt from a so called "OJKD" camper and was never going to succeed because your initial premise is patently bollocks

18. Fujian Animal

right

except that it's true

19. Hannibal

As is mine; so currently the "proves nothing anecdote" tally is 3:1 in my favour

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  20. Fujian Animal

i'm sorry i wasn't aware this was a competition, i thought it was just a sharing of truth