Do people know that you do a martial art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by gaz shaw, Jan 17, 2005.

1. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

hello,
    i am not sure if this is just me but very few people at my school actually know that i participate in a martial art, and the truth is i do not really want any one to no either, for one main reason, this being that i dont want the hastle of people coming up to wanting a fight with me, just so they can tell their friends that they have beat up a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
    it's not that i could not defend myself if i was in this situation i just dont want the hastle.
    a person that i know, who goes to another school made the mistake of bragging tht he was a black belt and now i know he gets into the occasional scruffle (not his fault, but he could have avoided this problem). i would just like to know weather other people not just people at school but adults as well, tell other people that you work with, that you do a Martial Art or if it is just me that does not want other people to know.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Gaz - please take the time to post in legible standard English. This is not a mobile phone text service.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You read my mind!

TAKE AN ENGLISH CLASS PEOPLE!!!! :woo:

4. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Few people know that I study martial arts. For the very reasons that you posted. I don't want any trouble or hassle about being a "ninja" or sommat. The other reason is that in the very rare case that I would have to defend myself, I would like to have that element of suprise too.

5. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i do apolagis i will edit the post asap, but it does get a bit of a habbit.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Most people know I do MA, but then again, Im an adult in the workplace.....noidiots with the mental age of a toddler......well, not so many anyway! ;) :p

7. mystererae

mystererae Valued Member

Most people know I do MA, mostly because there's not really any other way to cover for the two hours or so I'm gone every night training without lying quite a bit... and besides that a few students from our school have come and done an intro class or two at my kwoon before and have seen me there.

I get my fair share of hassling for doing MA, people love to sneak up behind me or pretend to hit me in the face to test my reflexes. I'm very patient with it until I get the "you're a ninja, why couldn't you block that?" comment, and the next hand that comes towards me usually earns its owner a nice slap (if we're friends, if we don't know each other I just laugh it off).

That said, I don't have many friends in high school who do MA. One has been doing Hung Gar from a young age and only a couple people know - the reason being more or less that she doesn't want people to hassle her - and a couple others are in various forms of Karate or TKD. Most people with any MA experience got their black belts when they were 13 and haven't looked back.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you know i made that mistake. all my friends knew. but now i get lots of people i don't even KNOW come up and be like "wow man, your're a black belt in jujitsu!!!"
    "will you teach me" or "how do you get outta this, what would you do if i did this"

and i have no problem showing a simple counter. but i could never teach cause the are all lazy and i'm a horrible teacher. fortunately no one has ever just come up nad challenged me. but i did get into a fight a few weeks ago and just before he swung he said "your karate **** won't work on the street" then he swung. i moved and pulled his face into a straight knee. proved him wrong.

9. YODA

Great! All you need to do now is find the shift key and a spell checker. :angel:

10. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

YODA, not even i am perfect, go shout at some other people for not putting a capital letter at the start of a sentance. i'm sure even you in at least one of your 17,000 odd posts, have made a spelling mistake. :D

any way lets STOP arguing about how many spelling mistakes everyone can find on my post, and sit down in front of the TV and watch corrie. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  11. YODA

*Gives up and goes home.

WAIT! I am home! :rolleyes:

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows I do jujutsu. In fact, it's got to the point now where if someone at any point says something like "really, you do martial arts", I'm actually surprised that they don't already know!

Might have something to do with the rather large collection of weapons that goes with me almost everywhere...

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

One guy at work knows I do BJJ (well, I told him Jujitsu so he wouldn't keep asking questions...), some friends think I still do TKD, and that's about it. I don't talk about it, simply because I get the "watahhh!!!!" and "I could beat you up" comments. Although the latter comment is true most of the time. :(

PL

14. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Only a couple of my friends know, although my father goes around telling everyone he knows... I think he's a little too proud... he says he can't wait until he can say I'm a blackbelt. :rolleyes:

15. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Most of my friends from school know. By the time you get to college people have matured a bit, and I've never had to deal with any problems stemming from the fact that I do MA. On the contrary, most people are fascinated, and I'm always more than happy to answer any questions they have.

16. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Types with one hand...

I used to just ignore them, until it got so bad I snapped and sent him to hospital, no-one has hassled me since.

17. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

I'm at uni and most people in my class and all my friends know that I do martial arts. It's not that I go around boasting or challenging people, its just that otherwise people would think I was abused or always fighting since its rare for me not to have a couple of bruises and I don't like always wearing long sleaves and jeans. I'm pretty covered up at this time of year though. :p
    I also let all my friends know so that they don't suspect me to be some sort of superhero who dissapears for a few hours a few days a week. Thinking about it that way, Spiderman could have used that excuse! "Sorry I dissappeared, I had to go to my MA class" :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  18. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I think that every one who knows me know that I train in one system or another only because I have trained for such a long time ( seems like only yesterday ) my friends from 10 years ago are amazed that I still train, people must think it only a whim that people stick it for a couple of years. I have had the odd challenge but nothing that speed, reflex or "the knowledge" would not fix with out inflicting injury, a couple of blocks or joint locks / restraints is usually all it takes.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

most of my friends know I do muay thai, but they dont make an issue out of it. k-1 is big here so everyone knows what kickboxers are capable of :D

20. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Not many people know that I do Hapkido. Firstly it takes way too long to explain what Hapkido is and secondly I work in a bank so I wouldn't appreciate one of my co-workers in the middle of a hold up going "he'll save us, he knows kung fu/karate".

I also like the idea that if something were to happen you have the element of suprise over everyone.