DMA Opportunities in UK

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Shizukanaarashi, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Shizukanaarashi

Shizukanaarashi New Member

I work in Ocupational Therapy for the National Star College, a college for students aged 16 to 25 ish with a variety of conditions from aquired brain injuries, to cerebral palsy or spina bifida etc.

Many of the students are residential and find that they are sometimes short of something to do. My style of MA is Ninjutsu, loving what I do, I'm always on about it and consequently, the students are very interested. I've been asked on a number of occasions to instruct, but have felt unable to as in my view, Ninjutsu is not well suited to cater for some of the students more specific needs.

The students on the other hand have a much more gung ho attitude and very much want to find an involvement in MA...........

so................Anybody out there have any suggestions. I would say the majority of those interested are wheelchair users, have shunts and little or no sensation below the waist. They on the whole have good upper body strength, though often have perceptual differences, hence sometimes poor hand eye coordination.

It is a very interesting from an OT point of view, as learning a MA would have enormous OT benefits. I'd really like to hear from anyone who practices/teaches Ninjutsu or any other MA, relevant to this specific area and se if there is anything that we can bring to the college.

Bruce

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. myki

myki New Member

Hi Bruce,
    I have been interested in this topic for a while. I happened on this website:
    www.defenseability.com

They teach a form of combat hapkido to people in wheelchairs with a wide variety of physical ailments.

You may want to start there, though with your background in ninjutsu, perhaps you could adapt some basic joint locks or pressure point manipulation. As well, perhaps you could teach how to meditate and calm the mind and be totally aware of surroundings.

What do you think?

Cheers!

3. Shizukanaarashi

Shizukanaarashi New Member

I think, thank you very much. :D :D

In truth, we have messed about a bit with as you say, locks etc, which has been well recieved in an informal environment. From an instructional point of view, I feel inadequate to the task, not being far enough along on my "journey" to feel comfortable.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but if I can get rid of those damn moles, maybe I can do something constructive. I'll have a look at the site you recommended and see what comes from there. :D

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

training

Hello Bruce

I see no reason why Our art cannot be adapted, in fact there was a student on the 2002 USA taikai who is disabled and prob more I did not see.

If You want another helping hand just ask.

Unfortunatley in this day and age I would not put it past those 'idiots' in society to prey on the disabled.#

Gary

:)