DIY for complete and utter n00bs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

My dad would disagree. He's a bricklayer and everything he makes is made out of concrete.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Ok... you can have wood and concrete and some bricks in your homemade Bugatti Veyron. Fair enough.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I might just salt that area so nothing will ever grow there again...

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

That doesn't actually work unless you put down an absolute tone of salt.

7. Chimpcheng

Ton of salt it is, plus it'll keep away ghosts... Bonus!

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

But then Annie from BH can't visit you in the night. :p

9. Chimpcheng

I'm ok with that. Ghosts freak me, give me monsters any day, monsters are flesh and blood and you have a fighting chance...

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Maybe you should plant plenty of garlic in the garden, for it's vampire-deterring properties.

11. Chimpcheng

You had to mention vampires...

The house already has a security light at the back, which, as far as I can tell illuminates the garden, making it easier for the robber to rob me of my plants, lawn and patio...

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've never heard of someone having their lawn nicked, but I must confess that I'd wet myself if it happened to you now! ;)

Where do you live?

13. Chimpcheng

Newcastle upon Tyne, about 3 miles from the city centre.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Say no more.

Don't spend owt doing up your garden - invest it in home security measures instead. ;)

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I've seen that happen. Only in empty houses though. Never one that was occupied. Get a big dog chimp. A really big shouty dog.

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

what is it about this country and nicking anything that's not nailed down recently? Across the road from me, a gate was stolen. And somebody actually went to the trouble of unscrewing the bumper of a landrover. It seems the more improbably it is that something might be stolen, the more people are tempted to make off with it.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's the economy stupid. ;) Was the gate metal per chance? Metal is big big bucks right now.

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yeah, it was metal. I'm still surprised anybody could be bothered to actually take off and transport something that big/heavy though.

19. Chimpcheng

Wait, I was kidding about nailing down my lawn...

20. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

Yup, empty houses are easy targets for such things. I've seen where people have stolen entire yards of freshly laid sod/turf when we used to do new housing. There was also an entire frame package taken from a project across the road from where we were working some years back. Then of course, plumbing, light fixtures, heating and cooling units, even fully installed cabinets and wood flooring.

Anyway, the yards that were stolen had been freshly lain sod/turf in each case. So I was just curious, was that the case for the yard you heard about? I mean, you’d have to be pretty determined to swipe a yard that was fully established.