DIY for complete and utter n00bs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Jul 24, 2011.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes because we all know exactly what we're doing and none of use are mentally unstable. ... Electrocuted myself today trying to fix a two way switch that doesn't work properly. Don't worry people. I'm still just my normal self. Not hurt. :)

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I like the idea of Chimp's house getting done up based on what a bunch of weirdos on the internet have advised him. It's DIY by committee. Rather like doing it because the 'voices in his head told him to'.

You tried to fix a switch without turning off the mains first??? Did you remember to stand in a bucket of water at the same time? ;)

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I was with you guys right up to electrocution...

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No. I had turn the lights off at the fuse box switched the wires around and didn't get the expected result when I switch the lights on again. So when I went to undo my handy work and try something else I forgot to switch them back.

Chimp. Being electrocuted is fun ;)

5. Chimpcheng

One of my mates was an electricians apprentice, he got electrocuted during his first week. That ended his electrical career...

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So are you rewiring or fixing any switches?

7. Chimpcheng

None of the above. Basically the house needs a paint job, re-carpeting/flooring/tiles and the shower cubicle swapped out. Oh, the garden needs gardening...

Wish I continued renting now... :(

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Spent last night in my garage putting up a worktop, moving a cupboard to a different wall and attaching some useful hooks to hang up my workmate and other tool stuff.
    It is satisfying. :)
    One thing to be careful is not overdoing it Chimp.
    My wife and I completely did up our last house, but on a budget because we had no money. So we ended doing a lot of it ourselves. Did things like fitting the kitchen, bathroom, basic carpentry, hanging new doors, carpet laying, plumbing, roofing, gardening, as well as all the painting and decorating.
    And basically I ended up resenting the house. I could look at any part and remember the evenings and weekends it took me to do it.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Okay then. So why are you worried about being electrocuted :p

Do the painting yourself. Buy some decent brushes and rollers a step ladder. Open the windows and paint the room your desired colour. Don't forget to smooth down the walls if the need it. Polly filler is your friend. Especially if you need to strip wallpaper off first. Stripping wallpaper is not essential to painting. You can paint on wall paper if it's in decent nick.

Oh and if you are stripping wallpaper. A steamer is well worth the investment.

I had my carpets fitted professionally. It didn't cost that much. I was £1400 for fitting, carpets, delivery, underlay and grippers. And that was my living room, 2 bedrooms, hall stairs and landing. And with my house being an old council house it has proper sized rooms. 2 proper double bed rooms. Not those stupid cubby-holes you get in modern houses.

How confident do you feel about replacing the shower cubical? You could certainly do the tiling yourself.

Any tradesmen you do get in to do any work. Hang a round and watch them. Offer tea and they'll tell you anything you want to know. Don't offer a chocolate biscuit. It means you want a quickie ;)

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Oh I forgot the gardening. By gardening can I assume you mean cutting grass and sitting in a shed? I don't have a shed so I can't help with that. Anyway being single I don't need one.

Don't buy a battery strimmer. I just bought one. It's taken me 3 days and counting to cut my grass. The battery last about 5 or 10 minutes and then it's a 5 hour recharge. My neighbours must think I'm mental. Go for petrol or proper electric. Petrol tends to be 2-stroke. Which to me seems like a lot of fuss just to cut grass.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Oh and I didn't electrocute myself today :D

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like tiling. Grouting is very pleasing to do. :)

13. Chimpcheng

Gardening is the easiest part. There's grass with a patio area and a whole heap of rose bushes, trees and other plant stuff around the edges of the garden. They're "easy" to maintain, but it's the jungle down the alley way I didn't know existed that bothers me. I've been down there with spades and shears and was chased back by all kinds of critters - I'm fairly sure lions live down there...

Painting I am coming to terms with, seems fairly straight forwards (as long as I have plenty of time and the right tools and to tackle one room at a time :D ), but I'm not going to attempt re-carpeting/flooring and I'll read up on shower cubically (real word, swear to God).

14. cmetalman

cmetalman Valued Member

The problem that I have come across is that once you have all the power tools and know how, your family and friends come calling asking to borrow your tools and you.

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Sounds like you may need a petrol strimmer with a big metal "massacre a village" type metal blade on it. You should be able to hire one if it's just a one off job to get it all back under control.

16. Chimpcheng

I came across a woody patch at the bottom where no amount of hack with spade/shears did anything other than upset the plant. I think we are going to hack away, turn the area into a post-apocalyptic wasteland and put down a plastic sheet and gravel or pebbles or something...

The fence needs, erm, fencing too, but I have a girl who knows a guy (well her dad) who is a fencer by trade... :D Mate's rates... :D

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

WHAT

Being single is no excuse, you need a shed. How can you be a member of the power tool club without a shed? :dunno:

*walks away shaking head*

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

other than my power tools sharing the expanse of my domain? I have an old coal seller at the back of the house. It's like a shed built into your house! :D

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

:D
    If you are going down that route then get some permeable membrane. Sounds flash but it's just a sheet of material that lets water seep through but prevents weeds from growing through it. It needn't be pricey (unless you get it from Fortnum & Mason or somewhere silly.)

Dig over the 'wasteland', remove weeds, bricks, rubbish etc., then rake it smooth and as level as possible.

Spread the sheets of membrane stuff over the ground, overlapping them by at least a couple of inches. Then cover them with a generous topping of gravel. (Don't leave any membrane exposed, because it looks like you've done half a job.)

If you want some plants dotted about then cut holes in the membrane and plant them before you put down the gravel. Or else you could dot some pots around on top of the gravel. Or do both, like I have.

It's a fun job (once you get to the gravel stage) and the results are very satisfying.

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I prefer the hacking at things and digging in the mud stage personally. Nothing like a mix of sweat and mud to prove your manliness.