Dive rolls

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by imperial_guardz, Mar 9, 2006.

1. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

I was watching some video clips from one of the posts, and realised wow, some people are amazing at Dive rolls...

So I was wondering how you guys train them?

2. Earlyturtle

Earlyturtle New Member

Well for me I learnt the normal roll, then practised jumping into it a short distance, then got higher and further until I could do them pretty damn far and from pretty damn high.
    Have you looked up dive roll tutorials?

3. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Its easier to start of using a belt of bo to dive over. Then move onto say a chair. Then you can do it easily anywhere. Beware when drunk, walls have a strange attraction :D

KK

4. imperial_guardz

I got distance about 4 or 5 feet...I got a height of neck level...but I can't put them together... Either height or distance...not both...

I practice by either going over a raised staff or some kicking shields...but yeah...

5. kempo-kid

I think to get both is gonna be quite hard. Different body position needed, I can do 6 people on their hands and knees (oher) but I wouldn't say I was more than 2.5 feet off the floor.

KK

6. kempo-kid

Which part of Canada do you hail from?

KK

7. imperial_guardz

Ontario (Toronto or Ottawa, depending of the time of year)

8. kempo-kid

I know of a TJF Canada club there. Their ukemi and rolls are out of this world. http://www.jitsucanada.com/

Best to learn it first hand :D
    KK

9. imperial_guardz

hmm...well we do them in my style too, it's just none of us do it as intriguing as those KSW guys I saw in those videos...hahaha
    Somewhere on this forum...

I was impressed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  10. kempo-kid

Those guys are nutters :lol: their ukemi is amazing.

KK

11. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

As a general rule Kempo_kid is right TJF tend to spend a lot of time on ukemi and as such tend to be excellent at it. This means more than just dive rolls, but every form of acrobatic ukemi you could possibly need (and some that one could argue you might not) to fall safely from any throw.

TJF people bounce.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

TJF being The Jitsu Foundation by any chance?

13. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

yup.

14. Slindsay

Yeah, we are pretty awesome :D

I think you only actually bounce when you reach brown belt. Up till then it just hurts.

Having said that the Ukemi syllabus is pretty harsh, I'm going for my second belt and I need to do assisted over the belts by holding someone else's belt, I need to do assisted kick up and drops and I need to do backwards and forwards rolls over someone.

15. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

ah, didn't realise you were TJF, I'm still a couple of grades short of brown and i bounce...

16. Slindsay

Didn't realise you where part of TJF either :D

Where abouts are you? You go to the Brittish nationals last weekend?

17. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

unfortunately not, I'm snowed under with uni-ness.

I train at Brunel uni in west london.

just to end the offtopicness, assuming you haven't already you might want to give www.planetjitsu.com a look.

18. imperial_guardz

Any particular training method you don't mind sharing?
    Thanks

Imperial Guardz

19. kempo-kid

I also train in Aiuchi, an off shoot of the TJF. What methods do they use, just tonnes of practise and the ability not to worry about the ukemi. I dont bounce as well as I used to :D but got my brown next month (hopefully)

KK

20. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

beyond starting with the basics and working your way up to the more complicated stuff and excellent teaching of the technical side of how to fall safely i'd agree with KK that it comes down to practice more than anything. Its true that TJF people tend to spend a lot of time practicing ukemi and being thrown, both of which are great for peoples falling.