Dislocated shoulder

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ThaiNinja, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Hi guys

After joining up at d unit mma gym only a few months ago, i dislocated my shoulder throwing a ball for my dog on monday, i have previously dislocated the same shoulder once before 3 years ago so it caught me by total surprise as i have had almost no issues with it. Naturally i am now really concerned about it happening again, and i was wondering if anyone has any advice for things to do when im looking to go back to the gym. I have been looking online at shoulder straps/supports but not sure if they are any good or a waste of money so if anyone has any experience of these that would be appreciated. gutted i cant get to the gym for a few months, but most of all worried about how my shoulder will be after it. any advice appreciated.

2. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

total rest, physical therapy and gradual reintroduction to physical activity.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Get it looked at...

If you've dislocated your shoulder in the past and it re-dislocated this easily perhaps you really do need to get it evaluated. You need to know how unstable it is, which direction it dislocates in and whether it is possible to use your muscles to maintain the shoulder joint in it's proper position. A shoulder splint may work but you need to know which direction you dislocate into in order to wear the splint. This is difficult to do without having someone examine you. Go see your doctor or physical therapist and get looked at properly before you potentially end up with a chronically unstable shoulder. It might be that you aren't going to have any problems at all with a good strength and conditioning program.

Just sayin...

LFD

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I dislocated mine badly years ago. Good physio, rehab and work on it meant I have had no problems since, and mine spent a couple of hours out of the socket.

See a GP, physio, and get it sorted properly.

Mitch

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what LFD said.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

rest and physio??

btw wheres d-unit located?

7. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Cheers for the replies guys,yeah with it being the second time it's happened ill be getting physio etc again and with euro 2012 about to start ill get plenty of rest lol. I'll get physio through my work aswell as nhs and looking into a few private consultations when im thinking of going back to the gym.just mainly wondered if anyone on here used a shoulder strap or had any exercises they regularly do to help it.cheers for all the replies,saw on other threads shoulder problems are common on MAP so think I'm now in the club officially lol.

D unit gym is in Dumbarton near Glasgow mate,you heard of it?

8. Fish Of Doom

i've been using overhead pressing movements to strengthen mine (a several years old subluxation), but don't try anything until a doctor or three have checked you out, since it might end up contraindicated, at least temporarily. it'll depend on what exactly got borked up with the injury.

9. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

We had a guy started at our judo club
    The trainer pulled a few matts out and bought him over to start work on breakfalls

poor guy triped on the edge of the mat and dislocated his shoulder as he landed

10. dapidmini

dapidmini New Member

I think my shoulder got dislocated about 6 months ago and I have been able to use it normally for almost 5 months now. but lately it hurts a little when I lean on that side too much or put too much weight on it. will shoulder strengthening exercises such as push ups help?

11. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Get to a doctor if you haven't been already

12. dapidmini

dapidmini New Member

I did. that's how my shoulder healed in the first place.. the pain is not much (more like a tingling, I guess) but I was wondering if I can get rid of it completely..

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you've been to the Doctor already it's probably time to go and see a physio. The shoulder is an incredibly complex joint and when it's damaged you need advice from someone who can assess you in person and give you advice on which exercises are relevant to rehabbing your specific injury.

14. Fish Of Doom

what frodo said. also, the push-up is not a shoulder strengthening exercise. if anything, you should do overhead presses of some sort, but ONLY if you've been cleared by a physio (mine explicitly told me to lift weights, for example).

15. Frodocious

This re-enforces my point about the complexity of the shoulder joint, I still can't do overhead presses or pushups without suffering problems and that's coming up to 2 years since my Impingement Syndrome became a problem.

Go to a physio, get assessed and do what they tell you to do.

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

With any dislocated joint, the first thing you want to do before going back to training is to see your doctor and ask if you can be referred to get some scans (X-rays and MRI) done just in case there are any cartilage tears (if there are, you might require surgery).

If the doctor gives you the all clear, go through physio and adapt your training: No sparring, and stick with kicking and punching with your non injured arm. Stay away for a couple of months from any sort of psychical activity that might put stress on your injured shoulder, and keep it strapped up.

I ended up dislocating my right knee about five times before ending up having it operated on, the cartilage in my knee (meniscus) was completely shot and the whole lot had to be removed. Before having the tests done, I had no idea what was wrong with it, except for the fact it kept popping out of place during training. It took two years for my knee to fully recover from it, and as it is I'm expected to have a knee replacement done in a couple of years, so this is something you shouldn't be taking lightly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  17. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I haven't got this (so apologies for going off-topic) but since getting stuck in a shoulder lock during groundwork about 6 weeks ago I've had on/off pain at the front of my right shoulder and because it's there I almost constantly think/worry about dislocation. Should I try to find a physio or ask my GP? For anyone not UK based GPs tend not to be too hot/interested in any sports related injuries in my experience.

18. Frodocious

I'd go for the physio, particularly because you've still got pain after 6 weeks. You might have an inflammed tendon that needs a bit of TLC and if you leave it you could end up the way I did with almost 2 years of being out of MAs. You will at least get a diagnosis (hopefully!) from the NHS.

19. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Its worth checking with your local GP practice if any of the GP's have side interest in sports injuries. Depends where you are in UK, some will have additional training in Sports & Exercise medicine and may be of use to you. Their qualifications will have either MFSEM of FFSEM as well as their medical degree listed.

Regarding physiotherapy - if can self refer then you should be able to find a Physio to take a look at it for you, otherwise you may need to see your GP to be referred on. From the small amount of info provided I would recommend getting either a GP or Physio to take look at it for you.