Disappointed In ma films today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 1233jessie, Jul 19, 2013.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

What, do the Ip Man movies, the Tony Jaa movies and The Raid not count? Or do you specifically want a period piece with long flowing robes and the like?

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Donnie Yen was in iron monkey wasn't he? I thought that movie was pretty good.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Curses! How did I miss this?!

4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

The Girl from the Naked Eye is pretty damn good, though more of a "movie with MA in it" than an "MA movie", if you catch my drift.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Anyone disappointed in recent martial arts cinema has not seen The Raid.

/thread.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I wanted to see that at the cinema but my friends were being lame. I should have manned up and gone on my own.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes. Yes you should. :)

It was very good. I also enjoyed Girl from the Naked Eye, by the way. Jason Yee has been very badly overlooked.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ong Bak

Flashpoint

Fearless

Jackie Chan - Legend of The Drunken Master (the 90's version)

Never Back Down!!!!!!!

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There's lots of hand-to-hand combat in Pacific Rim. Just sayin'...

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Seconded, but add "Chocolate," too.
    :happy: <------ me for a significant portion of those movies

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes. Jeeja Yanin was fantastic in Chocolate. Pretty sure she did a follow-up (unrelated) about a Korean family of Taekwondo masters who move to Thailand. Can't remember the name. Too lazy to Google.

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Was that Raging Pheonix or something like that?

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. I've seen Raging Phoenix. I couldn't describe its plot. But it wasn't that.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Donnie Yen's Ip Man series, SPL and Flashpoint.
    The Raid as mentioned (sequel just been finished)

The thing is, MA films just like any other genre/entertainment based media has to move with the current interest (what makes people go "OOOhh looky).

There is a reason why there are so many random MA movies in the 70s and 80s, is due to the high interest in "Oriental" culture, with a particular interest in Chinese Kungfu, hence the wire work and dodgy dubbing.

The movies we like now, may be very dated in 20yrs time.

15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Was imaginatively entitled "The Kick", and certainly lived up to it's name...

regards,

Travess

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Expendables series has got Jet Li, Jason Statham, and Randy Couture and (in #2) Chuck Norris and JCVD. So there's some fun hand-to-hand stuff.

Of course, there's also a metric poop-ton of guns. And 'splosions. But for me, that's like saying "you can have your bowl of ice cream, but only if you have lots of melted caramel and whipped cream on top." Sign me up.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Van Damme's fights were very short in that movie, though. It seems a shame that they didn't make good use of having such an experienced movie-fu villain.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Anyone seen "Man with the Iron Fists" ? {and you're right, I am too lazy to search the Film Review Section next door}

I remember it seemed [the film] was getting ready to be released right around the time Cung Le KO'd Rich Franklin in Macau....:thinking:...Nahh...they wouldn't ...just coincidence...

I figured the oddity of Russell Crowe as a major player in such a genre would bode either very well or very ill for it.

I happen to see it a couple of weeks ago and picked it up. Still sitting shrink-wrapped in the yet-to-see section of our DVD case - along with "Tai Chi Master", "Resurrecting the Champ" and a few other forgot-we-had-ums.

Is the 'Fu any good?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's a great homage to crappy kung fu films!